View Full Version : Computer Security and other matters.....

pax anglia
2nd Sep 2001, 17:27
1)I'm aware of the need for good Anti-Virus Software and a Firewall,but I would be grateful for advice as to which facilities to disable in W98 that may present security weaknesses.I have Norton Anti-Virus 2000 which is kept up to date and Zone Alarm Firewall.I have not found the Norton Software straightforward to install and update and would be interested on your thoughts about alternatives.In fairness it may not be the software at fault-my computer is so old and slow,that if it did have a label it would probably say "Mr.Babbage's Difference Engine".
As far as the Zone Alarm is concerned,when I do a security check from www.grc.com (http://www.grc.com) the report says that my computer is "invisible" to roaming hackers.However,when I run what I assume to be an identical test from the Symantec/Norton site it announces that my browser is vulnerable to unwanted attention.(I paraphrase).Are the tests of an entirely different nature,or is it a case of professional jealously on the part of Symantec ie:you're using somebody else's Firewall and not ours.(Yes,I'm afraid the forces of cynicism are taking hold).
2)Screen Resolution.
In the case of a TV set,a picture on a 21" tube will be less distinct than one on a 15" tube solely due to each of the lines being further from its neighbour.I am somewhat puzzled by the fact that this doesn't apply to Computer Monitors.Would a fellow PPRuNer be kind enough to give me a short explanation of the term "resolution" in this context,please?
3)I've also got Norton Clean Sweep 2000 which is ok for what it does,but I could spend a couple of minutes clicking to do the same job and have saved myself 20 quid.Or am I missing something here?
4)Is anyone using "Ontrack Internet Cleanup"?According to the blurb this product will thwart Spyware.It also allows the "shredding" of files so if the PC should suffer the intrusion of a hacker,deleted E-mails,documents etc will no longer exist "out of sight" on the hard drive if the "housekeeping" has been done properly.Useful,or not without it's pitfalls?
I'm afraid this post is rather longer than anticipated,but if you're still with me,well done and your comments will be gratefully received.Thank you all.

[ 02 September 2001: Message edited by: pax anglia ]

tony draper
2nd Sep 2001, 23:16
I can not adise you on computer security, but the resolution question is easy answered.
Your monitor can display graphics at different resolutions,800 by 600, 1024 by 860, the number refers to the number of pixels on the screen, the higher the number the better the resolution.
I have a 19inch diamond pro and I have the screen resolution set to 800/600 which is a good enough resolution for surfing the web ect.
Some programs such as flight sims will switch your monitor to higher resolutions for better graphic clarity.

Specaircrew
3rd Sep 2001, 00:14
Tony,

Unless you've got very poor eyesight with a 19" monitor you're wasting its capabilities by using 800x600 resolution. Set it to 1024x768 or higher and you'll be amazed at how much more you can get on the screen!!

What_does_this_button_do?
3rd Sep 2001, 14:18
pax, let's look at Point 1 in your post.

1) I'm aware of the need for good Anti-Virus Software and a Firewall,but I would be grateful for advice as to which facilities to disable in W98 that may present security weaknesses. I have Norton Anti-Virus 2000 which is kept up to date and Zone Alarm Firewall. I have not found the Norton Software straightforward to install and update and would be interested on your thoughts about alternatives. In fairness it may not be the software at fault-my computer is so old and slow,that if it did have a label it would probably say "Mr.Babbage's Difference Engine".

When you say alow - HOW slllllooooooooooooooowwww is it? I assume it's a PC, so is it a Pentium/Pentium II? The installation from Symantec software is typically good in my opinion so when you say it wasn't I was surprised. As to alternatives well there are quite a few, some freeware, some sharewar and most "pay top whack" ware.

ZdNet has reviewed some, www.zdnet.com (http://www.zdnet.com)

In my experience Norton Anti Virus or Dr Solomans is the best scanner, however, Dr. Solomans has been sold to McAfee and now I don't think it is as good as McAfee has been known to blue screen Windows machines because the lastest Virus pattern contains a bug or two.

As far as the Zone Alarm is concerned,when I do a security check from www.grc.com (http://www.grc.com) the report says that my computer is "invisible" to roaming hackers. However,when I run what I assume to be an identical test from the Symantec/Norton site it announces that my browser is vulnerable to unwanted attention. (I paraphrase). Are the tests of an entirely different nature,or is it a case of professional jealously on the part of Symantec ie:you're using somebody else's Firewall and not ours.(Yes,I'm afraid the forces of cynicism are taking hold).

The answer is yes and no. I run Norton Personal Firewall at home and it is over protective in my opinion - I'm forever creating a rule to allow this and that to communicate with the Internet - however, some of the communications I refuse such as WebEnhancer trying to send my browsing information to there website!!!! - after I realised Webhancer had managed to install itself onto my PC I soon deleted it!

Although I have never used a Personal Firewall testing site I have got this link to an article that reviews many of the vendors (http://www.networkmagazine.com/article/NMG20010103S0010). See what you think.

This is the McAfee personal firewall test (http://www.mcafee.com/support/system_req/browser_test.asp) (I haven't used it - I'm behind a Corporate Firewall).

[ 03 September 2001: Message edited by: What_does_this_button_do? ]

pax anglia
4th Sep 2001, 23:22
Thanks all for your contributions.
WDTBD?
My PC is a Pentium machine,but at 100Mhz it is a 'little slow'.Please don't laugh-frightfully bad form! It will be replaced soon with something a little more modern.I am not going to complain about it as I was given it by a Computer Engineer who cobbled it together from scrap units.It has given me a good grounding in the Internet and all its works for no more than the cost of my ISP subs.I am very grateful to him.Perhaps this info puts comments in my first post a little more in context.Any further thoughts?

PS Many thanks for various links.Will explore ASAP.

[ 04 September 2001: Message edited by: pax anglia ]