PDA

View Full Version : O J Simpson GUILTY!

Roger Sofarover
4th Oct 2008, 07:10
What comes around goes around!

OJ Simpson and his sidekick have just been found guilty on all 12 counts against them, including armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and Kidnapping.
The judge denied all motions and applications for bail, both remanded in custody with immediate effect.

sentencing is on Dec 5th

anybody any ideas of how along a stretch this will be??

Barkly1992
4th Oct 2008, 08:35
Yes - the judge.

henry crun
4th Oct 2008, 08:57
He is 61 now, so by the time all the appeals have been heard he will probably be able to claim he is too old to go to jail.

tony draper
4th Oct 2008, 09:03
One suspects the American Judge will hand down a tad more than the twenty hours community service and a stern note to take home to his mum he would have got from a Brit Beak.
:rolleyes:

onetrack
4th Oct 2008, 09:08
OJ obviously never had enough of a sizeable stash left, to be able to fund a decent lawyer . .who would have been able to prove racial harrassment, amongst a slew of other legal defences .. that would have seen OJ walk from court with a written apology from the US Police Dept that charged him .. along with a sizeable financial compensation package .. :ooh:

motherbird
4th Oct 2008, 09:59
It seems likely he will be in jail for quite a stretch.

Motherbird

parabellum
4th Oct 2008, 12:34
Maybe he is saving his money for the appeal? Probably knew he couldn't beat it in the lower courts but was advised to wait for to go to appeal?

green granite
4th Oct 2008, 12:37
Minimum of 5 years and the max is life, so take your pick.

G-CPTN
4th Oct 2008, 12:55
Hear that they're contemplating an appeal based on the constitution of the jury . . .

ford cortina
4th Oct 2008, 13:07
Could not have happened to a nicer guy, I hope the judge does give him a nice long term and all appeals are quashed.
Maybe now he gets the justice he deserves.:ok:

Krystal n chips
4th Oct 2008, 14:38
Seem to recall reading over here there was a delay to the trial in order to select the right jury mix ?........., clearly that plan failed then....miserably...so what sort of Gov't residential hotel can he expect given the cousins seem to have a range on offer ?

frostbite
4th Oct 2008, 15:30
Since, to me, he clearly appeared to be guilty of the first charges, I hope the Judge is of similar opinion and has that at the back of his mind when sentencing.

alph2z
4th Oct 2008, 15:39
Found guilty 13 years, to the day, after his verdict of killing his wife.

Jury took 13 hours to deliberate. :eek:

Obviously, the prosecutors love superstitions. :}

Sensible
4th Oct 2008, 15:52
Maybe thirteen years in the slammer then?

G-CPTN
4th Oct 2008, 21:07
Has it always been the custom to postpone announcement of the sentence for several weeks after the judgement (in this case until December)?
It appears to be happening also in the UK.
Don't the judges have a spinner that decides the sentence? How long can that take?

M.Mouse
4th Oct 2008, 22:06
I believe the delay is because O.J. has a hearing from the 1st court case outstanding.

He is taking the authorities to court because he wants his gloves back.

arcniz
4th Oct 2008, 22:12
Don't the judges have a spinner that decides the sentence? How long can that take?

Given the location is Las Vegas, the judge probably has a standing side-deal with local bookies to dawdle for a period of delay to heighten suspense and speculation.

Re-entry
4th Oct 2008, 22:25
I understand in US courts, any previous convictions must be disregarded for the current trial. i.e only the current alleged crime and facts pertaining.

However, when it comes to sentencing any previous is taken into account. So since he was found not guilty (don't confuse with innocent) of murder he will probably get the minimum sentence, as he has no prior convictions.

tony draper
4th Oct 2008, 23:32
Yer but minimum sentences Stateside tend to be about twenty years.:E

obgraham
5th Oct 2008, 00:12
When he was let off the first time, remember all the Jonny Cochrane stuff about how the jury was allowed to ignore reality in order to express their outrage at how minorities were treated.

This time around they're complaining the opposite: he got convicted because some white folks hate him, not because he's a thug.

I hope the bugger rots in jail somewhere.

arcniz
5th Oct 2008, 00:47
The good and bad sides of being an iconic figure?

ampan
5th Oct 2008, 03:16
That gent butchered two innocent people, and 12 (or was it 10?) ignorant racists let him get away with it.

The real tragedy is that this thug has been allowed to wander the streets for the past 13 years.

parabellum
5th Oct 2008, 13:13
Not the streets Ampan, just the golf courses;)I still think he didn't expect to get off with a jury but is hoping for better luck with the appeal judges.

fitliker
5th Oct 2008, 14:44
Any riots in LA yet ?

radeng
5th Oct 2008, 17:37
Wrong time of year for LA riots. The four California seasons are earthquake, riot, brush fire and mud slide.

Lon More
6th Oct 2008, 17:41
OJ may be welcome in prison footbball team. (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2008/10/04/2008-10-04_oj_simpson_may_be_welcome_in_prison_foot.html) Probably in the showers too

CityofFlight
6th Oct 2008, 18:06
You're right about the California seasons. Entering in the mudslide season, the riots are too inconvenient. Although, a post earthquake riot is perfect timing for the bright literates who feel their hero has been done wrong! "Rape & pillage....rape & pillage.."

Stay tuned folks....looking at my calendar, California is due for something.

FLCH
6th Oct 2008, 18:12
California is due for something.

C of F, that would be part of the $800 billion handout funded by the taxpayers like you and I. :(

CityofFlight
6th Oct 2008, 18:24
I read that California is in a bind to pay the salaries of gov't employees due to the credit crisis. That ought to cause a riot!

con-pilot
6th Oct 2008, 22:26
They are saving up to riot after the election. Whether Obama wins or not, there will be rioting, no need to riot over OJ.

Besides that, OJ already had his riot. Ya only get one you know. :p

radeng
7th Oct 2008, 07:09
California is in for a treat. Radeng is going there in November!

Binoculars
7th Oct 2008, 13:54
They are saving up to riot after the election. Whether Obama wins or not, there will be rioting, no need to riot over OJ.

Would you like to elaborate on your justification for that statement, C-P?

West Coast
7th Oct 2008, 17:27
Stay tuned folks....looking at my calendar, California is due for something.

Mid 70's ( mid 20's C) in December, pool about 80F due to new solar heating unit. Steaks on the grill, beer in the fridge. I'll take my chances here in San Diego.

I Am Not The One
8th Oct 2008, 21:52
Justice at Last!

Would be nice if they could throw Robert Mugabe into the same cell. They deserve each other.

May they both rot in hell!

con-pilot
8th Oct 2008, 22:18
Would you like to elaborate on your justification for that statement, C-P?

Sure, 61 years of living in this country, except for the six years living in England, and ten years of flying SOGs (Special Operations Groups) units of the Department of Justice to help control riots in the US. Oh, and being a student of history, as history does repeat itself.

I pray that there will be no rioting, I hope that the 'community organizers' will prevent any rioting and nothing will make me happier than to proven wrong on the riot issue.

Binos my friend, people in this country riot and loot when their Sports Team wins a championship. I'm sure you have seen videos of that as they are all over the Internet. I seem to recall you have had a few riots in Australia as well through the years. Matter of fact, there are damn few countries in the world that have not had rioting, for all kinds of reasons.

(A little know fact is that during the first Gulf War is that I and two other pilots saved San Francisco from being attacked by Iraq. Yup, that's true it is. Just after the war started, well to be exact, the night the bombing started we were dispatched and we flew for two days taking SOG units to San Francisco to help control the rioting by people that were against the war, which in itself is not important. What is important is that the two other pilots and myself stayed at the airport Marriott, mostly in the bar, and protected San Francisco from an Iraq invasion force. I am proud to say not one Iraqi submarine, battleship or aircraft carrier got anywhere near San Francisco due to our diligence. We have never understood why we were never recognized for our selfish sacrifice. :p)

mickjoebill
3rd Oct 2017, 19:33
https://www.facebook.com/RelatableOddball/videos/1907896439529283/

Almost a decade after this thread was started and after 5 hours driving following his release, OJ is caught at a gas station and has something to say about the life he has reentered.

Mjb

Lonewolf_50
4th Oct 2017, 01:56
He was very nice about that. I can imagine how much he didn't appreciate the intrusion.

KenV
4th Oct 2017, 02:35
On the one hand, I thought he handled the intrusion quite well. Good for him.

On the other hand, a knife at the throat that almost decapitates the victim is also quite an intrusion.

On the other other hand, I sincerely hope his heart has changed and the last part of his life is better than the previous several decades. I believe in redemption and sincerely hope he finds it.

er340790
4th Oct 2017, 21:27
Oh, JOY!!! Yet another NAKED GUN Sequel, Sequel, Sequel... :ugh: :rolleyes:

Yep - he handled being followed far better than I would have done. And I never cut off anyone's head...... Well, not this week anyway... Yet... At least. :E

tdracer
5th Oct 2017, 07:42
Heard on the radio that OJ is having is agent shop an "exclusive interview" to the highest bidder - starting at $3 million USD.
Strange, I wouldn't give 2 cents to hear what he has to say...

KenV
5th Oct 2017, 21:14
Heard on the radio that OJ is having is agent shop an "exclusive interview" to the highest bidder - starting at $3 million USD.
Strange, I wouldn't give 2 cents to hear what he has to say...Me neither. Hopefully there are enough with the same sentiments that it will never happen. I am not optimistic.

Turbine D
5th Oct 2017, 23:29
Strange, I wouldn't give 2 cents to hear what he has to say...
He must have had a conversation with Pete Rose since he will be living in Las Vegas where Pete resides. Pete is an expert on ways to make money to support a lifestyle after the sports window shuts down...

Cyber Bob
6th Oct 2017, 15:06
Come on, give the guy a break. Leave the past where it belongs, after all, the gloves didn't fit, did they? (Ahem!)