PDA

View Full Version : 50th years of Transatlantic Jet Operations

apaddyinuk
4th Oct 2008, 04:15
Today marks the 50th anniversary of the first commercial Jet service across the Atlantic when a BOAC Comet 4 commenced services on the route between LHR and Idlewild NYC. The initial westbound flight operated via Gander in 10hours and 13 minutes and was commanded by Cpt Roy Millichap. A simulataneous east bound departure made the journey in a record breaking 6 hours and 11 minutes!

BA are marking the special occassion by dressing two crewmembers on the BA117 today (04 OCT, 0855 departure) in the original uniform of the period and have invited 72 year old Brian Barnett, a passenger on the historic comet flight to travel on todays service. The crew will also serve 1950's inspired cocktails to customers.

BOAC beat Pan Am into the atlantic jet race by just three weeks.

Its amazing to think that in the 50 years since air travel between London and NYC has been reduced from 17 hours, to 7 hours to 3 1/2 hours and back to 7 hours!!!!

BEagle
4th Oct 2008, 08:12
BA are marking the special occassion by dressing two crewmembers on the BA117 today (04 OCT, 0855 departure) in the original uniform of the period
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

I'm surprised that the original Comet stewardesses aren't still flying with ba!

A pity that, unlike other airlines celebrating their past history, ba didn't repaint an aircraft in original BOAC colours.

As a lad, the 'Comet 4 v. Boeing 707' race was of great fascination to my fellow air-minded prep school chums and I! It was a great moment when BOAC won it!

gruntie
4th Oct 2008, 09:59
A pity that, unlike other airlines celebrating their past history, ba didn't repaint an aircraft in original BOAC colours

..................and charge 1958 prices for the journey. Wonder how much it was - anybody know?

WHBM
4th Oct 2008, 12:10
charge 1958 prices for the journey. Wonder how much it was - anybody know?

In 1953 (before jets) it was :

First 141 single/254 return
Tourist 98 single/176 return

In 1960 (when more jets) it was :

First 157 single/282 return
Tourist 114 single/205 return

So presumably a figure somewhere between the two.

Prices in GBP from the BOAC timetables of the period

Were the first Comet 4s First class only like the original Comet 1s, or mixed class ?

renfrew
4th Oct 2008, 12:30
The 1959 timetable has Comets to New York and Montreal with D and F classes.D apparently de luxe with sleeper seats.
Flights had just started to Tokyo with F and T classes.

N707ZS
5th Oct 2008, 11:30
Might be of intrest to this thread.

The Comet Campaign - Latest (http://user.itl.net/~colonial/comet/latest.html)

No news after 2005 though.

Porrohman
5th Oct 2008, 18:03
There's some more recent info about the Comet at Bruntingthorpe in this thread;
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/329762-comet-first-scheduled-commercial-passenger-jet-across-north-atlantic.html

Note to Mods - is it worth merging the two threads?