PDA

View Full Version : DHL America

flying.org
4th Oct 2008, 00:54
How can DHL expect to continue operations in America after laying off all their sales staff on October 1st?

Sounds to me that the best way to grow a business is by NOT laying off your entire sales force.

Anybody know what's going on with DHL in the USA?

hvydriver
4th Oct 2008, 01:05
Got me. Remember however, that it is the domestic, not international sales people that are being let go.

OldCessna
4th Oct 2008, 02:08
Because they are going to use UPS to carry the freight & save a bundle.

It's going to be a mezzanine operation!

gtf
8th Oct 2008, 10:02
Some "experts" have long said that DHL would be better off focusing on international shipping in/out of the US. This might be the first step down that road.

Pagan_angel
9th Oct 2008, 13:04
All of their domestic sales staff? :eek:

Doesn't this put them back where they were before acquiring Airborne?

what a way to roll back the clock....

hvydriver
9th Oct 2008, 13:19
Yes it would put them into the vicinity of pre-aquisition size Pagan.

EchoMike
9th Oct 2008, 13:53
I have to say that DHL's evident withdrawal from the USA small-parcel market will not be missed by me (at least). Their insurance and claims procedures are an outright scam, and the people in the claims department are arrogant and snotty. I shipped a well packed hand-painted Samovar from Florida to Arizona via DHL, and they managed to destroy it. It was insured for $200 just in case. Well "in case" happened, and DHL screwed around for over a month before even admitting that they had the claim papers (which were both faxed and e-mailed to them). Then they said "we only pay wholesale" - this is absolute, unmitigated horsecrap - if they went into WalMart and dropped a big screen TV, do they expect a "stupidity discount" from them, too? No, WalMart is going to charge them retail. I paid for $200 in insurance, I have a claim, I want the price of the item paid back to me, DHL doesn't get a stupidity discount. Then they asked "can it be fixed?", get three estimates - sure, if we send it back to Russia and find the original artist who painted it, and that's after the huge dent in the side that DHL put there is hammered out. Took me almost two months to get paid - DHL is absolutely more trouble than they are worth, and I will not be at all sorry to see the last of them. I have ordered a large stack of DHL shipping envelopes (free) and boxes (free) and I intend to use them to pack shipments to be sent by OTHER carriers, like the post office or UPS or Fedex. I'll use the DHL pre-printed waybills for kindling or mulch. When it used to be Airborne, it wasn't too bad, but after the arrogant Krauts bought it, it went to hell in a handbasket right quickly. Consider: If this is how they treat their customers, who are their income source, how will they treat their employees, who are an EXPENSE???