PDA

View Full Version : How British do you feel now?

BladePilot
3rd Oct 2008, 14:53
When was the last time you found the 'made in Britain' label on anything in the shops? what ever happened to that wee BS Kite mark thingy? looks like most of the family silver has been sold off!

The British car industry... gone, maybe still built (or screwed together) here but owned by various overseas companies
Large scale ship building gone
The British aircraft industry pretty much gone
The BAA owned by the Spanish
Britains nuclear power industry bought by the French
British Banks being bought by the Spanish

what next? maybe they'll put the NHS up for sale or sell StoneHenge to some American who wants to transport it back to the good old US of A and drop it in his front garden:=

merlinxx
3rd Oct 2008, 15:32
I am British, started out that way, will die that way. Conceived in LON hatched in South Wales Valleys, grew up (well sort of) in Sarf LON. Then grew up and ran away to Sussex. Yes I'm British and bloody proud of it, but doesn't mean I can't rant, whinge and take the piss out of it, it's mine I can say what I like, but I'm still British.

O and a ROYALIST as well, so 'rack off' republicans!:ok:

mr fish
3rd Oct 2008, 15:56
beatles, pink floyd, led zep, sex pistols, clash, smiths, prodigy, oasis, etc etc- at least we still make the best music in the world.
the chinese make just about every consumer item on the shelves these days, but a chinese( or french or german come to think of it )rock band:yuk:

G-CPTN
3rd Oct 2008, 16:57
And you don't see Empire Made anymore, either . . .

merlinxx
3rd Oct 2008, 17:24
Well we ain't got one, gave that away with the 'Marshall Plan' (no I'm no going to say it!)

west lakes
3rd Oct 2008, 17:45
When was the last time you found the 'made in Britain'

Er yesterday when I bought a pair of trainers, better quality & more robust than all the "big" makes from the shop attached to the factory where they are made!!

The last pair lasted eight years!!

Krystal n chips
3rd Oct 2008, 17:55
I feel incredbly British as it happens......screwed about by British Telecom, British Garse and a "well known CC provider" who, when I called to confirm receipt of a new card, the thicko girlie demanded ( note, in contrast to asking politely ) to know WHY I didn't have a CC protection plan !!...and duly told me of the cost of course.......so yes, I really do feel British....subjected to the very best of utterly useless "customer service":yuk:, an area in which Britain is truly "world class".:mad:

Next?

Der absolute Hammer
3rd Oct 2008, 18:31
Remember the old days when Aquavit was sent around the world by ships before being sold.
Maybe all the stuff made in Britain is shipped to China, there labelled 'Made in China' and sent back to Britain for sale in high streets.
From China the British public expects poor quality and gets it?

Ha! About selling the national assets - just whissper GOLD in the first ministers ear.

Lance Murdoch
3rd Oct 2008, 18:33
Bladepilot, I think that you overplay the demise of British industry. Agree about the nuclear industry and banking. How we could have lost the lead in nuclear when we practically invented it is beyond me.

On the other hand the British aircraft industry is doing very well by and large. There may be no modern completely British designs in either the civil or military sphere but that charge could be levelled at any European country (except France but there doesnt seem to be much of an export market for Rafaeles) but we make a huge contribution to all Airbus programmes as well as the Typhoon. The JSF and F22 use a large amount of British technology and have alot of British suppliers including Rolls Royce (who is still the largest gas turbine manufacturer in the world). In addition a considerable proportion of the Boeing 747 (up to 50%) and 787 are made here.

Partly agree with you about the car industry but a large amount of components in just about any car in the world will be made in the UK. It is sad that there are no volume British car manufacturers but if youve ever owned a Rover you will understand why.

Two high technology industries you neglect to mention are pharmaceuticals and biotechnology. Britain is a world leader in both and thats not likely to change any time soon so long as they don't get complacent.

In summary the country has its problems but Id rather live here than just about anywhere else.

G-CPTN
3rd Oct 2008, 18:56
the British aircraft industry is doing very well by and large.How many employees compared with the 50s and 60s?

One9iner
3rd Oct 2008, 19:05
My old man is the founder and owner of the only British based - built in oven manufacturer in the UK. :ok:

Too expensive to mass produce stuff in Britain nowadays so bespoke high end, low volume 'stuff' are the only kind of products which are viably made on our Island.

The Chinese don't help when they attempt to take control and buy the worlds steel...

I cook using one of 'said products' most days which fills me with "Britishness".

Lance Murdoch
3rd Oct 2008, 19:08
G-CPTN alot fewer employees than the 50's and 60's but thats automation for you and you can level that charge at any sector in manufacturing industry.

The early 1950's were a boom time for the British aircraft industry but that all came to a shuddering halt in 1954 when Comets started dropping out of the sky inexplicably. In the late 50's and 60's the industry was kept afloat by military orders and governement subsidies. By comparison Id say things are going quite well now.

Bravo73
3rd Oct 2008, 19:36
The BAA owned by the Spanish
Britains nuclear power industry bought by the French
British Banks being bought by the Spanish

Not forgetting though, of course, that there are also plenty of 'British' companies that own significant elements of other countries' economies. Vodafone, BP and Barclays are just 3 which spring to mind.

Ancient Mariner
3rd Oct 2008, 20:50
Der Absolute Hammer,
Akkevitt still travels the world and crosses the line onboard Wilhelmsen vessels.
Per

LGS6753
3rd Oct 2008, 21:24
I too am appalled by the loss of so much manufacturing. But I was in tears of pride this morning as I listened to 'Jerusalem' being played on Radio 4.
We have a largely uncorrupt, civilised, peaceful, affluent, cultured country that is graced by its position on some of the most beautiful islands in the world, set in a temperate climate. Those of us who want to move away often regret their decision, because we Brits have so much that we just take for granted.
In terms of world leadership, despite current problems, we lead in many 'knowledge' industries - education, finance, software, Formula 1, aeronautics, consultancy, pharmaceuticals, arts and music, research, design, etc.

Glad to be here:ok:

TURIN
3rd Oct 2008, 21:45
I picked a new carpet yesterday.
It had "Made in Britain" on the back.

Gobsmacked, I bought it. :ok:

Strelnikov
3rd Oct 2008, 21:56
I think my straight answer to your loaded question is I feel a lot more British than you do BladePilot.

Brit - whinging is soooooooooo boring.

BlueWolf
3rd Oct 2008, 22:11
set in a temperate climate.

Love the way the Pomgolians have so many ways of saying "rain". ;):ok:

SXB
3rd Oct 2008, 22:23
I've lived outside of Britain for approaching one third of my life, my wife is French and my children were born in France. That said I still feel intensely British and I'm sure for I will for the rest of my life. I make sure my children are taught proper history and despite the best efforts of the French schooling system they now realise Trafalgar was not a draw, de Gaulle de did not win the second world war on his own and Americans are not a bunch of uncivilised idiots.

For the Brit detractors you should now that the economic success of modern Britain is envied around Europe. Britain has a flourishing economy where the majority of the population enjoy high standards of living.

I do miss certain things about the UK though, I still have pork pies and yorkshire puddings shipped in on a regular basis, i also miss the football. People also know how to queue correctly in Britain, they also stop at pedestrian crossings.

After saying the above I still like living in France, we don't really work much here, we get a lot of holiday and the weather is better:-)

merlinxx
3rd Oct 2008, 22:27
You ain't one Joe Lewis per chance?

BenThere
3rd Oct 2008, 22:31
Though genetically I'm mostly British, the link was severed by my distant forebears and I seldom feel British at all.

Garethbmw
3rd Oct 2008, 23:48
Well ive just been to watch the QE2 leave liverpool for the last time and am now sat here reflecting on what a wonderful sight that was with a glass of scotch,Proud to be british tonight i am.Oh and my old german motorbike never missed a beat on the journey and it never leaked a drop of oil.

merlinxx
4th Oct 2008, 00:02
That's the essence of being British, adaptability. The ability to live, integrate (well some anyway), learn and love the local, but still retain one's Britishness, and be bloody proud of it!

Garethbmw
4th Oct 2008, 00:10
The best part about it was my bike was still there when i got back,wheels and all!

BigEndBob
4th Oct 2008, 08:15
What is Britishness?

A label we put on ourselves to know which flag to follow in times of conflict.

If i as a child of British parents were born and abandoned in America and brought up there, would i be American?

SXB
4th Oct 2008, 08:36
Merlinxx
Agree with you 100% :ok:

Der absolute Hammer
4th Oct 2008, 08:39
The poor Abandoned BigEndBob

If you were brought up in America after abandoned by horrid British parents, you would have American passport and be US citizen. You had to swear oath of ellegance.
If USA and Britain went to war and you fought for British flag, Americans would shoot or hang you as a traitor. So....your call....fight for Yanks and only British shoot you. Fight for British and Americans shoot you twice over, one time for fighting, two time for two timer - maybe hang you to which is not so nice. Meantime British troops call you a verdamnt Amerikaner.and spit in your mess tin for your Amerikanismus, accent and Camels.
Remember King Rat do you?

motherbird
4th Oct 2008, 10:10
There is nowhere in the world that can reproduce the atmosphere of a local British pub.
Thatched roof, low ceilings, wooden beams, huge blazing log in fireplace, friendly landlady/lord, choice of local brewed beers .

Motherbird

A2QFI
4th Oct 2008, 10:33
"Britain has a flourishing economy where the majority of the population enjoy high standards of living."

Not the UK I am living in, on a pension indexed at 1.2% with overall inflation over 6% and domestic fuel inflation over 50%! The economy is collapsing, lead by stupid banks and loan sharks. The construction industry is dying slowly and is building stuff that people can't afford and/or can't get loans for.3 million children living in poverty, people being denied medication and NHS treatment, and dying or going blind for the lack of it.

Der absolute Hammer
4th Oct 2008, 10:49
Ja!
And furthermore....
The British are not so adaptible.
They like not pubs where you may not smoke.
They do not want to cook again there green vegetables or eat soup as Brown demands.
They do not want so much to live in small cottages, one only for one family and burn peat stuff to keep warm.
They do not want either so much to wear more clothes to keep warm.
They do not want to only have very expensive little cars that use electricity.
They do not want the Irish to guarentee bank balances.
They do want London Olympics in 2012 but not to replace disappearing Polish plumbers..so that goes down drain also.
And when they are in Europe they want only to read Telegraph or Mail, eat Marmite and sausages made from newspapers.
But yes, there are some Anglopihilias about who like to wear the scratchy tweeds and smoke shags while looking at MGs and Jaguars in garages which await spare parts from Coventry.

Forkandles
4th Oct 2008, 10:52
When was the last time you found the 'made in Britain' label on anything in the shops?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51A0A6Y505L.jpg

Bring back the good old days, hey? :sad:

One9iner
4th Oct 2008, 12:02
LGS6753 (http://www.pprune.org/members/72961-lgs6753) couldn't agree more.. :ok:

I've lived outside of the UK before...but always love returning to our gracious Isle that's so good for so many reasons..

I come from an English mother and a Welsh father . so I see myself as 'British' and NOT 'English'.

I therefore feel, due to patriotic proudness, that, although I can't speak welsh, I must withold the family history and traditions within and one day when I have children, educate my children about the sacrifice that the Kelts made in their day, and the sacrifice my Grandparents generation made during the 1st & 2nd W War...

Britain is good, and despite your general day to day moans regarding nanny state, politics, economy, hoodies, knife crime, tax etc... it still remains a jewel..

Crosshair
4th Oct 2008, 20:56
From "Empire of the Sun":

Jim: If the Americans land, the Japanese will fight.
Dr. Rawlins: You admire the Japanese?
Jim: Well, they're brave, aren't they?
Dr. Rawlins: That's important, is it, Jim?
Jim: It's a good thing if you want to win a war.
Dr. Rawlins: But we don't want them to win, do we. Remember, we're British.
Jim: Yes. I've never been there.

tony draper
4th Oct 2008, 22:17
At present one has one's nose in a book called Northumbria in the time of Bede,a great deal of said book is taken up with the great effort we English put into putting you British to the sword.
:rolleyes: