PDA

View Full Version : Couple of things

markpodbery
3rd Oct 2008, 10:28
Hi all,

Firstly I am currently 26 yrs old. I have a successful job in London that I get paid well for. (I.T Manager).

Anyway I still live at home so don't really have any outgoings, but still at the mo have not started to save any money, somehow it just goes!! :=

I have always wanted to become a pilot, I have done about 4hrs rec flying with a friend, just because I enjoy it so much.

Anyway the plan is to start putting 1K away a month...

I think for me I would need to do distance learning which I would do at Bristol GS.

I of course need to get my ppl first, which I am looking at 6K, so that is not a problem, what does anyone suggest the way I go from there? How much cash do I need to push into a flying "job" if I am allowed to say that? Can I do it bit by bit so I can keep working and earning? Is there any problem is taking a while to get everything?

Do I try to get my frozen ATPL, then try to get bonded with an airline to pay for my TR? I know I am asking about things that are a long way off but I find the part from when you have your ATPL and what to do from there confusing!!?

I also want to ask what people's views are with the credit crunch etc, on the world of aviation as a whole? I know some airlines are going bust, but do we think this is just a slump and things will get back to normal where I might (just might) get a job one day? Or should I avoid the industry!!? This of course would not be an option for me!!

Many thanks

Mark

Celtic Pilot
3rd Oct 2008, 10:47
Mark... you will got a whole load of mixed opinions coming back to you... You could view the industry being bad at the mo, which no doubt it is, however the industry would be described as cylindrical, meaning that there will be good times ahead again for people looking for jobs..

What is hard to predict is how long it will take to get to that stage where low houred pilot s are required again.. Im sure you have heard of zoom and xl going bust, well this means that there are alot of experienced guys out there out of jobs and also looking...

As regards the route you have chosen well, there is nothing at all wrong with it, it is very wise to choose this way at the minute... Since you have already got a well paid job, then there would be no point in giving it up just to got into debt...However you must be aware of time constraints plced on you..

After you finish you first ATPL exam, i think you have 18 months to finish the rest of them. (someone correct me if im wrong)

After you finish all of your ATPL's then I think you have 36 months to gain your CPL/IR, or it will not be classed as a fATPL(again correct me if im wrong)

There are many route to choose to do an fATPL, research different schools which do modular like oxford, cabair, stapleford..etc...

good luck

CP

markpodbery
4th Oct 2008, 11:27
Many thanks for the reply,

Anyone else give me some advice, with regard to the Type rating or qualifications needed once I finish my fATPL??

Thanks

Mark

Frankly Mr Shankly
4th Oct 2008, 11:53
Mark, Celtic Pilot is pretty much on the nail with the industry being cyclical. Yes its awful at the moment, yes it will come back around to the good times again. When?????? God knows! Not a for a good few years I fear.

If I were you, I would do a PPL at a fairly leisurely pace, have a bit of fun doing some GA flying for a while, then maybe a year ot two later, start thinking about the ATPLs, dpending on how the economy is shaping up.

I think if anyone is contemplating flying training at the mo, well, I wouldnt commit to anything too heavy, PPL yes, any further, for now, no. And if it was me, I would definitely be looking at the modular route, not integrated, given these uncertain times. I did it modular, groundschool with BGS (very good by the way), CPL/IR at Stapleford, now flying for an airline out of Manch. So dont worry about the modular/integrated usual load of old bo11ocks. (just mentioned in order to avoid the usual bunfight).

After your CPL/IR, well then you're in the lap of the Gods Im afraid mate. None of us can predict what the market will be like for any type of pilot, experienced or newbees. Safe to say though that you should have a plan B always. Either be prepared to take any kind of flying work anywhere, do an FI rating, back to IT, just something to keep paying the bills.

Good luck with it all, but for now, get your PPL and enjoy it while we ride out this economic climate.

Cheers.

markpodbery
4th Oct 2008, 12:36
Many thanks.,

I think what I meant by what comes next, is in terms of qualifications? CTC ATP Wings? MCC?

What do people do regarding type ratings these days? Try to get bonded?

Rgds

Mark

Frankly Mr Shankly
4th Oct 2008, 12:48
MCC would be the next thing, then as for type ratings, well whatever you can get really is the short answer.

Some airlines still use the bonding system, some want money upfront then pay it back to you over x years, others you pay for the rating full stop. Or there is the CTC option, so really its a case of trying to get a job where you dont have to fork out for the priviledge of working (although they're getting fewer and fewer), failing that, well you might have to bite the bullet and stump up yet more hard earned pennies to get your rating, in one form or other.

markpodbery
4th Oct 2008, 13:07
ok thanks!

Just looking at CTC it does not make sense to me!

The CTC ATP course, which contains the AQC, this contains the MCC with some other stuff, but then you fly on the line etc and go onto do your TR, but who pays for that, it does not say!!!?? This is a bit misleading!!

Where did you do your MCC and TR?

preduk
4th Oct 2008, 13:11
You can do your MCC at a number of places, for example my local is Tayside they have a MCC on a kingair.

TRs you should do with the airlines, but never fork out for them your wasting your money on these course that offer quick jobs with the airlines.

Frankly Mr Shankly
4th Oct 2008, 13:20
Having not gone via the CTC route, I'm afraid Im not too clued up about the ins and outs of it, but Im sure there are a lot of guys here that can help you with that one.

As for me, I needed to do my MCC as quickly and cheaply as possible. I did a two week course at The Flight Center, Wolverhampton airport. Some people might try and say that they prefer to do their MCC on an all singing all dancing 737 simulator or something of that ilk. It makes not a jot of a difference to job hunting though, costs more money, and you come out with the same MCC regardless, so for me, cost and the fact I could get on the course quickly were the only factors for my choice.

My first type rating was on a turboprop for a nightfreight airline, which was done by bonding me. Im now at a different airline where you have to stump up some cash in advance and they paid me back over a few years, quite typical of a few airlines these days.

markpodbery
4th Oct 2008, 13:21
Anyone know anything on the CTC ATP, when it comes to the type rating part?