PDA

View Full Version : MTBs at Duxford?

TessCoes
3rd Oct 2008, 10:14
Can anyone confirm that there is 1, if not 2, Motor Torpedo Boats at Duxford? A friend is convinced they're there, but I don't recall seeing them on my last visit, and it doesn't seem a 'good fit' for the museum......unless they're ex RAF Rescue?!

sedburgh
3rd Oct 2008, 10:35
Can anyone confirm that there is 1, if not 2, Motor Torpedo Boats at Duxford? A friend is convinced they're there, but I don't recall seeing them on my last visit,Yes, Motor Torpedo Boat (MTB71) and Coastal Motor Boat (CMB4) both in Hangar 3 according to the list at :
http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/upload/pdf/AircraftandVehicles.pdf

and it doesn't seem a 'good fit' for the museum......unless they're ex RAF Rescue?!Why? Duxford is an Imperial War Museum site, not just an aircraft museum.

Tyres O'Flaherty
3rd Oct 2008, 14:56
Indeed, there is also quite a bit of armour there as well, including some captured gw 1 iraqi kit as I remember

FlightlessParrot
4th Oct 2008, 06:08
As I recollect, a WW I torpedo boat (a *lot* smaller than WW II types), a midget submarine and a lifeboat.

Unfortunately, a bit far away to check my memory:bored:

JEM60
4th Oct 2008, 07:00
I have seen them there. I shall be there on Sunday and find more info.

TessCoes
5th Oct 2008, 01:06
Thanks all.
Spent the afternoon there today, and yes they are there....one MBT and a Coastal as per Segburgh's post.
Fascinating stuff, and good display of some 1919 action of the CMBs in Russia.
I thought the MBT was looking a bit worse for wear....seems the hull planking is shrinking as the hull paint is cracked along all the joins.

I must recommend the land warfare hall, and the new hanger is also very good.

-------
Quote:
and it doesn't seem a 'good fit' for the museum......unless they're ex RAF Rescue?!
Why? Duxford is an Imperial War Museum site, not just an aircraft museum.
-------
I guess for the same reason I wouldn't expect to see any aircraft at Portsmouth....my bad, sorry!! :O

JEM60
5th Oct 2008, 16:34
The First World War CMB served from 1915-1918. Carried one torpedo in a central slot. It was slid down the slot for launching, back end first. Torpedo was an 18 inch one. The CMB was capable of 37 knots.
The WW11 one is a Vosper 60' MTB, one of only four of that type built. Commisioned in 1940, off charge in 1945. Powered by 2x ISOTA FRASCHINI engines, of 1,100 hp each, these were V.12's. Max speed 39 knots, carried a crew of 10. Mod, sorry about thread drift here, just answering the question. Feel free to move etc.,

dakkg651
6th Oct 2008, 09:20
Didn't some MTBs have three Merlin engines?

Were they still called Merlin in their marinised state or were they re-named as was the Meteor tank version?

Those crews must have been sitting on an awful lot of petrol. Respect.

Blacksheep
6th Oct 2008, 09:27
For an aircraft connection, I once worked with an RAF Chief Tech who served in R.N. MTBs out of Harwich during the war. They needed RAF chaps who knew about engines, as RN ERAs with V12 experience were in short supply.

...and yes, that's MTBs with tubes and 20 mm cannon, not RAF S & R boats.