PDA

View Full Version : Browne out, Hutton in

airborne_artist
3rd Oct 2008, 10:09
Hutton's web master needs a spell checker, but at least we have someone with an inkling of military history and tradition:

"Publications "Kithener's Men" - Published by Pen and Sword Publishers April 2008. The book provides a history of the training and fighting experiences of the Service and Territorial battalions of the King's Own Royal Lancasters in France during World War One. Soliders in the Kings Own Roayl Lancaster were recruited from the Furness area and the book was inspired by the stories related to John by his constituents who served in the Great War. Any proceeds from this publication will go to the British Legion"

dallas
3rd Oct 2008, 10:22
Few could be worse than Browne. I'm just reading A Million Bullets and it mentions a couple of things he did when visiting the troops in Afghanistan. On one occasion he allegedly seemed to fall asleep in a briefing - which I've a little sympathy for, having seen many a visit hosted by the sycophantic middle management - but when meeting a group of recently bloodied troops, who had as usual been assembled just for his visit, he apparently stared at his feet, kicking a pebble, showing no interest in their exploits, and not even attempting to come up with a question to feign interest.

Browne was actually grey, a particularly dull politician who lacked even a trace of charisma, while his department asked - no relied upon - his people to do more and more, with increasingly less, interdispersed with his trite expressions of sympathy when those doing his bidding paid the ultimate price.

There are some politicians I dislike more than others - good riddance Browne.

Laird 'o' Balmullo
3rd Oct 2008, 10:48
You have to really wonder how the Kilmarnock Solicitor made it to the dizzy heights of Secretary of State for Defence.

Anyway, farewell, don’t expect a Christmas Card..

Flyingblind
3rd Oct 2008, 11:00
Sorry guys but from the far end of the world am i to believe this #$% has been shown the door?

Melchett01
3rd Oct 2008, 11:22
Sorry guys but from the far end of the world am i to believe this #$% has been shown the door

Yup .... can't you hear the sound of the door hitting his arse as it slams shut on the way out?

God knows what the new one will be like, but at least we have gone back to a full time SoS Defence.

Sand4Gold
3rd Oct 2008, 11:24
Taken from the Times in August 08.

The Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS), is understood to have told the Prime Minister that Mr Browne should remain in his post while Britain attempts to withdraw from Iraq and expand its force in Afghanistan.

Not exactly apolitical.

In addition, neither of the ministers rumoured to be possible replacements for Mr Browne - John Hutton, the Business Secretary and Shaun Woodward, the Northern Ireland Secretary - have much confidence among senior commanders. Despite being an amateur military historian, Mr Hutton is seen by some in the military as being too close to the defence industry contractors who are unpopular with many service personnel.

Maybe Gordon doesn't like to be told what to do?

Will Hutton be able to work with a CDS who was closely aligned with his predecessor?

I predict a Boris Johnson moment here.

AA

Cpt_Pugwash
3rd Oct 2008, 12:17
From the BBC report:

Defence Secretary Mr Browne is to leave the government, the BBC has learned. He was offered another job but he felt it would be an insult to the armed forces to leave as defence secretary but take another job.

My bold .. seems a bit late to think of that .

dallas
3rd Oct 2008, 12:54
I think the insult was when he was given the job, let alone when Scotland was added to his chores. Interesting that someone so seemingly disinterested in Defence should bravely think of 'our boys' while heading out of the door - we could have done with more of this while he was actually doing the job.

minigundiplomat
3rd Oct 2008, 14:27
Same sh1t different name. Still works for Comrade Gordo.

Gnd
3rd Oct 2008, 14:41
Oh well, might as well give him a chance.
1- He might actually tell the defence industry what we are thinking - if he allegedly has an interest.
2- If he is a Military historian, he may understand the mistakes of his predecessors’
3- If the CDS liked the old one, maybe he was wrong and not have the same judge of character you might like?
4 -He is solo so might actually have a bit of time to find out some facts.

It is slightly immaterial as he will be out on hiss ar$e at the next election anyway.

MG
3rd Oct 2008, 16:29
I'm happy to give him a chance (as far as anyone of that lot). He's clearly had an interest in military matters in the past and that can only be a good thing. His links to industry will have to come out in the wash but let's wait to find out. And at least he seems to be a full-time Secretary not job-sharing with Scotland.

TheSmiter
3rd Oct 2008, 20:19
Few could be worse than Browne.

Sorry, Dallas, got to disagree mate.

The Defence portfolio under this regime, and this leader, will always be a poisoned chalice. Whatever you think of the politics you might as well give the person a chance.

Met Des a couple of times, the first a week after taking office and latterly a few months ago. Beneath that grey, legal exterior was a man of genuine warmth and concern who clearly enjoyed the company of us, the military. He knew we did the bizz and he respected us for it. I respected John Reid for the same reason and he was a commie in his youth!

Its no surprise that neither is in the Govt now.

Just dinnae get me started on Gordy.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Oct 2008, 20:55
he was a commie in his youth!

As was Dennis Healey, the 'forces friend' , and he did a reasonable job in a bankrupt country for a full 5 years.

johnny99
3rd Oct 2008, 22:33
"You have to really wonder how the Kilmarnock Solicitor made it to the dizzy heights of Secretary of State for Defence."

Ah bless, don't you worry about things like that Laird.

sycamore
3rd Oct 2008, 22:42
P-N,he was a wassock;even though he`d been in the Army,during the `war` in the FE,all requests to prosecute the `Indos` had to be passed through his office for approval;in much the same way as the US in Vietnam with MacNamara,one hand tied behind your back!And when the answer came it was like DeGaulle-Non ! by which time they had crossed back across the Border....

cazatou
4th Oct 2008, 11:09
Quote:

"Few could be worse than Browne"

How about "Sleepy Fred" falling asleep on the shoulder of HM The Queen at the Review of the Royal Air Force at Finningley in 1977?

Same Party - same level of respect.

L J R
4th Oct 2008, 15:20
I have to disagree slightly with those who think that someone who is a military history buff knows anything about defence, they just simply 'admire' the militia and all the chivalry that came with it - and in particular those who studied early 20th century mil history - as opposed to recent (Post GW1) mil history.

The military of today is not a bunch of tofty private income earners jumping around in exotic parts of the kingdom, empire, dominion etc, the military of today are 'real' people of today, and as a rule frankly don't give a toss at who made the mistakes of the Dardanelles, Somme etc, ...and ALL of them can vote!....but change is 'good' and I'm sure you will see who your new lord and master is..

endplay
4th Oct 2008, 15:56
At least this reshuffle has seen an end to combined offices of state of Scotland and Defence. Jim Murphy now has the scottish desk, allegedly so he can concentrate on tackling the SNP but in reality, IMHO, a belated acknowledgemet from GB that he got it wrong, politically and morally, in the first place. A retractment if not an apology.