PDA

View Full Version : What sims/software are the best ?

chenyang10000
3rd Oct 2008, 06:49
I am wanting some viewpoints on IFR training software and basic category B simulators.

What are peoples views/experiences of the following software products:
1. Elite Premium Pilot (costs around $600)
2. X-Plane

Also I am interested in Cat B sims at the low end. Just what people think about various products that are in the market place. I am only interested in CASA approved devices – The two that have caught my eye are:

1. Aeroguidance mark 5 or 6 by kinetic technology at Moorabin: seem pretty solid – local supplier is good – only two different aircraft options though – around $5000

2. Elite PI- 135 : Looks quite good – does it come with an instructor console – more types of aircraft supplier further away – and a little more expensive. You should be able to view the device by clicking here ELITE Products - Hardware > Basic ATD (http://www.flyelite.ch/en/products/basicatd.php)

The intended usage is IFR, NVFR Currency , airline sim prep, and some IFR training.

Interested in all experiences have had with these various device – which are the most attractive to the consumers – don’t limit your views to just those mentioned above.

Also is there any sort of listing available on what is approved by CASA – I searched the site and couldn’t find anything.

QSK?
4th Oct 2008, 00:14
chenyang10000:

As this is your first post, you may not be aware that this subject has been discussed numerous times on various threads in the past. Can I suggest you use the "Search" facility at the top of the screen, type in some relevant keywords and see what comes up. I'm sure most of your questions will then be answered.

chenyang10000
4th Oct 2008, 08:57
Thanks QSK. I have tried the search function thoroughly. There is a bit of information out there regarding X-plane and the software packages. But what I am primarily interested in is people views of CASA approved sims at the lower end of the market - that is why I am particularly interested in the aeroguidance and the elite PCTAD - so the request for information remains. Maybe some instructors
from the flying school sector would like to offer their viewpoints. Thanks

Cap'n Arrr
5th Oct 2008, 23:59
AFAIK, sims have to be approved by CASA individually, so even if you buy a full blown Alteon 737 Sim you would still have to pay CASA to come out and inspect it.

Can only assume from your post you are considering installing one into a flying school and not for personal use. Have a look at Frasca as well, they are generally pretty solid. Elite can be good as well, the aeroguidance I've only used once, but it's a very MS-DOS type program, and unless you buy heaps of peripherals you need to do a lot of things like changing radio freq through the keyboard.