PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Locking Up With PPRUNE

pipster1
14th May 2000, 16:52
Wonder if anyone who knows more about pc's than I can help?.

When using PPRUNE, reading forums mainly, my pc locks up with the message;

'VSSTAT caused an invalid page fault in module vsstat.exe at 015f:00404dde'

I have no problems surfing at other times, it only ever happens (after 10 mins approx) when on PPRUNE.

I use Win98 and Explorer5.

Hope someone can help as its driving me mad!!

Thanks

DarrenMoore
19th May 2000, 17:55
Do you have any other programs running in the background? (chat programs/'paid to surf' programs) - this may be interfering with your internet settings. If you do then try closing them down before or while connected to the internet and see if this resolves the problem.
Have you recently installed any new programs, that/they may be causing a problem, try uninstalling them and see if the problem is solved.
Also, is there anything you usually do before connecting to the internet? - maybe running a certain program? - try restarting your computer before going online.
Another idea would be to install Netscape Navigator and use that for your surfing.
Yet another idea would be to install a later version of InternetExplorer than what you currently use other than that I can't think of anything else.

Please let me know how you get on.

Darren

-I don't think this will have any effect but did you change your security settings before the problem started?

http://sighman.simplenet.com/freestuff/animations/stuff/flamewar.gif

Flybywyre
19th May 2000, 18:23
I've just had the same problem...........

Got into pprune o.k. then when I selected forums I recieved a similar message to the one Pipster 1 got, something about an invalid page fault and everything locked up. I tried Ctrl,Alt & Delete to clear it but no response, in the end I had to turn the computer off using the on/off switch. When it came back on something strange came on the screen called scandisk to inform me of some errors, I followed its instructions and here I am!
Anybody know what happened?
Seems strange that two of us should experience simillar problems.

A confused Flybywyre

MAX REVERSE
19th May 2000, 22:53
Are you two guys running ZoneAlarm?

Flybywyre
19th May 2000, 23:45
Negative.....................

FBW

DarrenMoore
20th May 2000, 14:03
On most modern computers, scandisk automatically runs when a computer isn't shut down correctly.
Most computers develop some kind of error every couple of weeks or so. Don't worry to much about it.

Darren

Tallbloke
20th May 2000, 14:27
The scandisk thing is set to run automatically if you windows does not have a chance to close all the files which are open, which happens sometimes when it crashes. As for vsstat, you probably have Mcafee anti virus running. It is that which is crashing. Perhaps it is worth playing with the settings esp. internet filter and see if you can reproduce the fault.

Ausatco
20th May 2000, 15:05
Max Reverse,

Was your question about Zone Alarm prompted by my comment a couple of weeks ago about ZA breaking Java in Internet Explorer?

If so, I've updated my suspicions. I don't think ZA is the culprit any more. I put it down to some WebWasher options. I have unchecked (deselected) Pop-up windows and Scripts in WebWasher and have been running ok with ZA active for about two weeks now.

AA

pipster1
21st May 2000, 18:16
Tall bloke, good spot I am using McAffe anti virus.

Any clues what i need to change on the settings menu, as its all a bit over my head!.

Thanks

Mice
22nd May 2000, 01:06
Gentlemen,
For any troubleshooting that you suspect interference from other programs, on the desktop, select CTL-ALT-DEL to bring up the close program box. (Do this with Internet Explorer not operating). "End Task" everything except systray and explorer. Then open IE and see if this fixes the problem. That will indicate that there is incompatibility with a running program (TSR).
If that is not successful, and you have WIN98, go to a START/RUN and type in 'sfc' which is System File Checker. This program comes with WIN98, and checks all the Windows system files have not been altered or deleted since the original installation of Windows. Do not forget to click on the 'settings' button, and ensure 'check for changed/check for deleted files' is selected first, before starting the program.
Often, a program will overwrite some of these files automatically, and install their older version which can cause some incompatibilities. Have your WIN98 CD ROM handy, and try to retain the original WIN98 files. As a rule anything with "D3** or Direct3d**" is the directX files, and if you have DirectX 7 update, ensure you update the program to accept these files if they have a LATER date/version number. Anything older datewise, generally is restored from the CD.

Hope that is not too tech for you.

BTW, the vsstat is referring to a program, and the numerics are a memory address, and this indicates a conflicting API call.
------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

[This message has been edited by Mice (edited 21 May 2000).]

Narada
22nd May 2000, 03:38
Pipster - try updating the McAfee Virus Scanner (or upgrading to the latest version, if you like). VShield Statistics (VSSTAT) is the cause of the symptoms (no one seems to know the real cause yet).

Also, update and get all the patches for your version of Windows and IE.

I don't like telling people to disable the virus scanner, but you can do that for an hour or so to test things out - and on each PPRUNE session basis if that is within your tolerance limits.

If that's not your cup of tea and you are still annoyed, consider switching to a different browser. There are several out there.

Friendly Pelican
22nd May 2000, 11:10
Okay fellas,
I'm getting lockups too, but running NAV. Any suggestions much appreciated, or I'm going to turn Luddite...

MAX REVERSE
23rd May 2000, 18:03
AA.

No, just that I had a few lockups with the ZA beta, which have stopped since I downloaded the new version.

Tallbloke
27th May 2000, 02:15
Pipster 1

Geezer.

To start...
Right click the little v sheild in the system tray. Click Enable. Uncheck internet filter. Try that. Warning. This will disable the anti virus stuff whilst you are using the web. Depends on what sort of sites you visit I guess, I have not picked up a virus in 5 years. If this does not help, mail me.