PDA

View Full Version : Not my week - horror story - help wanted

Feline
12th Jul 2001, 02:11
Well, first of all, my antiquated 4 year old 166Mhz Pentium-MMX decided it would no longer load any major applications. Reluctantly, decided that solution was to reload Windoze 95. Which is when I found that the distribution CD-ROM no longer matched the Authentication Number from Microsoft ... (Doh! #1)

Acquired new system based on ASUS CUSI-M SiS Socket 370 MicroATX Motherboard, with 700Mhz Celeron processor, 2 X 10Gb IDE drives (on which more in a moment), 128Mb Ram,and additional Parallel and Serial ports (interestingly, it assigns the additional serial ports as Com5 and Com6 - and they don't seem to work, but that's the least of my problems). Windoze 98 second edition pre-installed.

Spent a happy (not!) Saturday afternoon re-loading all my apps, and then the system decided that it will only boot in "Safe" mode. Not very useful, and I couldn't get the mother to do anything to get out of it. Back to the supplier who reformatted the C: drive and re-installed the OS (so that I lost all the apps I had installed). Another happy afternoon re-installing, and soon after it did the same thing - "Safe" mode, preceeded by a message saying there had been a stack overflow, and advising that I set a higher value for "Buffers=" in my config.sys file (Doh!#2). Have never ever before been asked to tinker with DOS settings on a Windoze machine ...

This time I finally managed to get it to come back up, but in VGA mode (640 X 400) and only a 16 colour palette. Managed to sort this out - with difficulty - by setting resolution (re-boot) then set colour to hicolour (re-boot).

The reasoning behind the second 10Gb drive is so that I can use Norton Ghost to back up the system and restore it if necessary. Good thinking as it turns out, because recovery is more or less a daily occurence. Which is however a king-size time waster ... Today it claimed to have lost a a modem control panel extension file (Modem.CPL) which I could however see with Windows Explorer.So I couldn't log onto the net. Bah!

Now -- Anyone got any comments on the ASUS board referenced above? Does this have any known inherent problems (eg. with the on-board video card) that could lead to these sort of problems? I have picked up a vague rumour that it experiences interrupt conflicts and can crash pretty often ...

Secondly, can anyone suggest some reliable diagnostic software that I can use to try and work out what's going on?

In Hope (and desperation!) :mad:

Tinstaafl
12th Jul 2001, 05:02
SiSoft's 'Sandra' will give you a lot of useful information about your system.

There's a free & slightly crippled version, and a fully functioning version.

WhiteSail
13th Jul 2001, 01:03
For starters, if you go "Start; Settings; Control Panel; System; Device Manager" are there any (yellow) exclaimation marks suggesting conflict's of one kind or another?

Feline
13th Jul 2001, 02:27
Thirteen hour outage today -- not even recovering using the Ghost image sorted the problem ... And just to emphasise that this is week from hell -- how did this thread manage to get split in two? Bl**dy technology!
Tinstaafl: Where do I find "Sandra"? SiSoft.com looks promising, but no sign of Sandra -- SiSoft.co.uk doesn't look promising at all;
WhiteSail: Thanks but Nope! That was checked fairly early on in the proceedings ...
(From duplicate thread)SLF999: Bud Allen was very useful, and may actually have sorted the problem - there was corrupted system file, but how could it be corrupted in both version that crashed this morning and also in the image file that I created last night? Very strange!
Thanks for all your help - new system is back up (at the moment) but I don't have a great deal of confidence in how long it's going to stay up - just as well this isn't an aircraft because the current mtbf for major crashes is considerably less than 12 hours ...