PDA

View Full Version : CD Copy

WhiteSail
12th Jul 2001, 00:13
Are you sitting comfortably, then I'll begin!!

My kid's have some computer games (who doesn't), but they treat them like sandpaper.

So I thought as they have just had some new ones, I would make backup copies, which they could use, and then when they finally destroyed them, I would simply make another backup from the original.

I used CloneCD, and all was well on the first CD I copied, but on the second, CloneCD reads the disk OK, but will not write the new one.

The error message I get is;

Writing to CD failed , Medium Error; Power Calibration Error (3:0x73:0x03)

As it said "Medium Error", I tried three seperate new disks, but each time I get the same error.

Does anyone have any idear what may be causing this problem? :confused:

stickyb
12th Jul 2001, 04:51
Have you tried writing (copying) something else to one of the discs to rule out a hardware problem?

SevenFiftySeven.
12th Jul 2001, 11:30
Hmmm, it may not be a hardware problem, but a software issue.

In order to protect their software, some games developers put 'copy proof' protection into the CD's. This is especially true of the more popular games. This is put in to stop piracy of course, but does not help people like you who wish to make backup copies of discs you have purchased.

If you are having trouble copying a particular game, it might be worth looking at; www.gamecopyworld.com (http://www.gamecopyworld.com)

This site shows you how to copy most of the better known games. This usually involves copying the contents of the CD to your harddrive (temporarily), replacing a key file with an updated one, then writing the whole thing back to a CD.

Another option which I prefer to do if possible is use a 'no CD' crack if it is available. Basically this involves installing the game to your harddrive, downloading and installing a particular file from this website. This means that you don't need to have the CD in the drive in order to play the game - hence you can lock the CD's away from little fingers.
This is good for me as I have 3 or 4 games I play and I don't like having to find the original CD's each time I want to play one.

Again, gamecopyworld will tell you if there is a no CD crack for a particular game.

Hope it helps!

757 - Rocket With Wings :cool:

WhiteSail
13th Jul 2001, 00:39
Thanks very much chap's, thats most helpfull.

spannersatcx
13th Jul 2001, 21:34
WhiteSail Power Calibration Error is when the Hardware/software writes to an area on the cdr (near the spindle) and this sets/checks the laser strength etc, I had this before on an old sony CD writer, the problem was that the software wasn't really compatible with the writer in that the firmware was out of date. So you may need to a)Update your firmeware (check compatability of the software with your drive)
b) Get some different software that supports your Writer.
c) Try and test your writer to see if is ok it may be duff.
d) Try a different brand of CDR
:cool:

[ 13 July 2001: Message edited by: spannersatcx ]

WhiteSail
14th Jul 2001, 00:26
Thanks for that Spannersatcx.

Its been OK with all other "burns". It just seems to be this particular disk.

Tha Writer is less than a year old, and hasn't had hardly any use (not that, that means much)!

I will however check for up-dated software, as this may be closer to the problem.

Thanks for your input.