PDA

View Full Version : Driver memory error

LevelFive
11th Jul 2001, 06:24
My computer crashes if I open MS Word.

A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0187: BFF9DFFF.

Any ideas as to what's wrong and how to fix it?

SLF 999
11th Jul 2001, 13:51
During startup, Word loads the following components:
The global template (Normal.dot)
Any add-in templates in the Startup folder
Any add-in libraries (.wll files)
User settings that are stored in the Data subkey in the Windows registry
If any of these items is damaged, Word may fail to start. To temporarily bypass these items, you can start Word with the /a switch. Starting Word by using /a on a command line causes Word to use the default settings for all options and prevents add-ins from being loaded.
NOTE: When you start Word with the /a switch, changes that you make that affect any of the components listed above are not written to the hard disk when you quit Word. The changes are lost.

To use the /a switch to start Word, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.
Click Browse.
Locate the folder where the Winword.exe file is located.
NOTE: The default location is the following:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office
Select the Winword.exe file, and then click Open.
Click in the Open box, and then press END to move the insertion point after the closing quotation mark that follows the path and file name.
Type a space and then type "/a" (without the quotation marks), so that the command line looks like the following example:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WinWord.exe" /a
Click OK.
If Word starts correctly, the problem is with a damaged Registry Data key, a damaged add-in template or *.wll file, or a Normal.dot global template.

SLF 999
11th Jul 2001, 13:57
Sorry I should have said if this helps and word starts, then I can point you in the direction of fixing it for good (and I dont mean uninstalling Word ) :D

LevelFive
11th Jul 2001, 16:29
It worked. I can open word.

Also got this message when I started the computer.
"Cannot import C:\windows\kak.reg: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error."

SLF 999
11th Jul 2001, 16:53
Sorry to say that you have a virus, but its not all lost, here is the answer :-
SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer, you may receive an error message similar to:

Registry Editor: Cannot import C:\Windows\Kak.reg: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error.
In addition to or instead of the error message, you may see a blank box with the following title:
C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\Kak.hta

CAUSE
This behavior is caused by the Wscript/Kak.worm virus, which uses ActiveX and Windows Scripting Host to spread by using Microsoft Outlook Express 5.

RESOLUTION
There are two methods to remove this virus.

Method 1
Obtain and install an antivirus program that can detect and remove the virus.
Method 2
Manually remove the virus:
Quit Outlook Express.

Install the Microsoft scriptlet.typelib/Eyedog security update. Information about this update is available at the following Microsoft Web site:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/peropsys/IE/IE-Public/Fixes/usa/Eyedog-fix/x86/q240308.exe
Search for all files named Kak.hta and Kak.htm and delete them.

Delete the default e-mail message signature in Outlook Express. To do this, start Outlook Express, and then click Options on the Tools menu. Click the Signatures tab, click the default signature, and then click Remove to delete it.

Delete any messages that may contain the embedded script.

SLF 999
11th Jul 2001, 16:57
You still have a problem with word so here is how to find out what is causing the problem :-
When you start Word, Word automatically loads templates and add-ins located in the Word Startup folder or the Office Startup folder, or both. Errors in Word may be the result of conflicts or problems with an add-in. To determine whether an item in a Startup folder is causing the problem, you can temporarily empty the folders.
Word 2000 loads items from the Office Startup folder and the Word Startup folder. To remove items from the Startup folders, follow these steps:

Quit Word.
For Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.
For Microsoft Windows 2000, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
Open the Office Startup folder. The default location for this folder is:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup
Move each item in the folder to the Windows Desktop. Or create a new folder on the desktop, and move each item to the new folder.
Open the Word Startup folder. The default location for this folder is:
On Microsoft Windows 95 and Microsoft Windows 98 without profiles enabled:
C:\windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
On Windows 95 and Windows 98 with profiles enabled and on Microsoft Windows NT 4.0:
C:\windows\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
On Microsoft Windows 2000:
C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
Move each item to the Windows Desktop. Or create a new folder on the desktop, and move each item to the new folder.
Start Word.
NOTE: To create a new folder on the desktop, right-click a blank area on the desktop, point to New, and then click Folder.
Try to reproduce the problem. If you can no longer reproduce the problem, and you removed multiple items from the Startup folders, you can attempt to isolate the problem by adding the files, one by one, back to the appropriate Startup folder.

LevelFive
11th Jul 2001, 19:20
Updated norton and found it. It is the Kak worm.

Got help from Microsoft.com

Everything’s back and running smoothly.

Thanks for your help SLF 999 :D

[ 11 July 2001: Message edited by: LevelFive ]

SLF 999
12th Jul 2001, 12:35
Glad that you have got it sorted out, Microsoft.com is where I got all the info from as well, the knowledge base is really good, just had the time yesterday to search for the stuff, happy to have helped.
Cheers