PDA

View Full Version : The 100 post rule?

tobzalp
2nd Oct 2008, 06:42
What ever happened to the rule that once a thread got to 100 posts it would be locked? It was an excellent practice.

There are many threads that have hubdreds upon hundreds of posts and have drifted over many subjects. If the topic still has steam after 100, another thread can always be started AND it would encourage different threads to be started with other topics. there are some in the Reporting Points area that I just don't bother reading as they would take a few hours to get through.

drunkensailor
2nd Oct 2008, 10:56
I agree, with the exception of the photo's thread of course.

kingRB
2nd Oct 2008, 11:03
as I am a senior moderator on a another very large forum, i'll put in my two bobs worth....such a rule is only needed if the moderating being done is lackadaisical :=

If threads are properly moderated they will not go offtopic ;)

tail wheel
2nd Oct 2008, 11:42
tobzalp With the original PPRuNe software a few years ago, there were technical issues with threads 100 posts and larger and a problem with server capacity.

Those problems are long since gone. However, I'm with you - once a thread reaches 100 posts, it has probably debated at least half a dozen widely diverse topics - and well and truly passed it's use by date!

We'll start closing "stale" threads and see if that improves the Forum! :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
2nd Oct 2008, 11:58
Ohhhh! .......I thought that after 100 posts - maybe ya got banned ! :E

That would also freshen up the forum!

Dr :8

ABX
2nd Oct 2008, 12:29
Yeah Doc, but you would have been banned about 20 or 30 times by now - if all your aliases were counted!

Flying Binghi
2nd Oct 2008, 12:37
You lot are boring - dont ya enjoy an a-noon at the airport watching the traffic (arguments) going around and around and around and around......etc, the circuit :)

Jedi
3rd Oct 2008, 10:54
Still not flying 4X, must be great to sit around all day and read prune on your wage!!

:ok::E

Capt Wally
3rd Oct 2008, 12:56
sheeez looks like the anti-fun police are at it again. The way I see it if a thread goes beyond a 100 posts then that means one thing, it's popular & still attracting posters, & afterall this site has obviously a commercial aspect to it with those silly ads down the side so isn't that what the advertisers want, more exposure by way of more viewers/contributors?
So I say let it run a 100 posts, a 1000 posts, if ya don't like it don't come on in:}
The Dr has more than one ID ? nah, can't be:E

CW