PDA

View Full Version : Temp Internet Files - Where do they go ?

Jet A1
13th May 2000, 19:35
When clearing the Tem Int Files thorugh the Internet Options, where do these files go. They don't go to the recycle bin. Once they are gone is that it ?

china_trident
13th May 2000, 21:06
down the old plug hole ...... totally gone !!!! Why do you ask .......

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Flybywyre
14th May 2000, 02:22
Is it a good idea to clear temp.int files?

What purpose do they serve and are they the same as cookies.
I have heard people say keep cookies and I am told that there are some who say you should delete them.

Anybody care to enlighten me.

A confused Flybywyre.

Mycroft
14th May 2000, 04:05
The temp files are used when you reload a page; if it has not changed since you last loaded it then it will load from the temp file rather than from the site directly, loading much faster.

spannersatcx
14th May 2000, 12:32
And the cookie will say what your preferences are, when you last visited, saved passwords etc etc.

Flybywyre
14th May 2000, 15:36
Thanks Mycroft & Spannersatcx

Now I know what they do I assume they are best left alone except for the ones that you will not be using again such as miscellaneous
sites and links etc.

Thanks chaps
FBW

MAX REVERSE
14th May 2000, 23:12
FBW.

Nutscrape and Exploder both have settings which allow you to set the size of the cache. They will then delete old temporary files as required to prevent the cache size exceeding the set amount, so in that respect there's no need to worry about deleting files yourself. You might want to delete the cache if you share a PC and don't want the other user(s) to know what you've been browsing (clear the history as well).

Whether you delete cookies depends on your stance on personal privacy. Sure, cookies remember your preferences, but they also give advertisers and other undesirables a means to track your browsing habits. Personally I have cookies disaabled unless I'm browsing a site that absolutely insists on them (e.g. Hotmail).

Flybywyre
17th May 2000, 02:42
Max Reverse

Thanks for the information............

A less confused FBW.