PDA

View Full Version : Rudd: Sorry Sam...

tinpis
2nd Oct 2008, 00:47
PM rejects state funeral for NT hero - Northern Territory News (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/10/02/6991_ntnews.html)

Taxpayers will of course be obliged to plant Rudd when the time comes.:*

the wizard of auz
2nd Oct 2008, 01:19
Typical. the Politicians reserve the right to have a state funeral for those that have managed to bleed the public purse without ever putting their life on the line for their country. Another way to have one more shot at putting their hand into the peoples pocket.
I would think the families of people like Mr.Calder should be insulted to be told no for a request for their loved ones to be shown a final appreciation from the country they put their lives on the line for. :mad::mad:
Another kick in the face from the people who are meant to represent the people of Australia........ they seem to have forgotten that bit once they get into power. A$$holes.

Old Fella
2nd Oct 2008, 06:48
It didn't take the rejection of a State funeral for the late Mr Calder for me to assess Mr Rudd as a Dud. A man of many words and no action.

Trojan1981
2nd Oct 2008, 07:48
:mad:That's disgusting. Former ministers my @*&e! Having served on active service in wartime or war like conditions should automaticly entitle a person to a state funeral if their family so desires!

Anyone got an email address for the Ruddanaught?

Pinky the pilot
2nd Oct 2008, 11:10
The aircraft in the photograph appears to be a Hawker Typhoon. Anyone who flew those aircraft on ops would definitely have seen the nastier side of aerial warfare and IMHO more than deserve formal recognition. In this case, a State Funeral is the only fitting tribute.

Kevin Rudd, you are indeed a solid gold, five star, grade triple A a******e!!:ugh:

If indeed, any further indication was required!

Edit;And why do I say the above? The answer is this; Read the first post again Mr Rudd!

Led Zep
2nd Oct 2008, 11:56
Trojan1981:

[email protected]

You might get an automated "Out of Office" reply though.

Old Fella
2nd Oct 2008, 12:06
As far as Mr Rudd is concerned the sooner he is permanently "Out of Office" the better.

Binoculars
2nd Oct 2008, 14:27
I may well be missing something here, indeed I've never heard of Mr Calder. But the following quote
Prominent Territorians and Mr Calder's family called for a state funeral yesterday for his contribution to federal politics, in representing the Territory, and to the people of the NT.

would lead me to suspect that the politicians being so vilified here (and I cast no aspersions either way) are rejecting a state funeral for a politician, not a war hero, which all the aviators here would rather regard the deceased as. (forgive the grammar, it's late)

So why does everybody here want him granted a state funeral? For what part of his life?

My own personal opinion is that State Funerals are a joke, especially when they seem to be reserved for those who support their continued existence. It's just another extension of the politicians' view that "we are the most important people in the country" giving rise to lifetime gold passes for travel, ongoing office expenses for whatever they want to do afterwards, we all know the perks.

I just don't see how this one is any different. Do we want to pay for a state funeral for every person who dies of old age after serving his country in the military?

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Oct 2008, 15:35
Binos we agree on something:ok:

The gentleman concerned is indeed a great Australian...I would respectfully put forward that 'honoring' him with a State Funeral would be about the same as giving someone a Nobel Peace Prize or an Academy Award after the litany of fraudsters and terrorists who have received THAT 'recognition'.

I'd go further and suggest that my impression from the short piece about him in the leading post leads me to suspect that HE would be horrified by the thought of a state funeral...this is about the people still alive not the gentleman concerned.

Tin re planting Rudd....I am reminded of the old joke about why divorce is so expensive...because it is worth EVERY PENNY:E

tinpis
2nd Oct 2008, 23:33
I agree Binos and Chuck,but Sam stood tall and meant more than mere politician to the folks up here
My bolding

PM silent on Sam - Northern Territory News (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/10/03/7235_ntnews.html)

PM silent on Sam

DANIEL BOURCHIER

October 3rd, 2008
WAR HERO: Sam Calder during an Anzac day parade.

WAR HERO: Sam Calder during an Anzac day parade.

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd last night refused to reverse his decision not to give Territory war hero Sam Calder a state funeral.

Chief Minister Paul Henderson said the family of the former federal politician and fighter pilot would be offered a special Parliament House reception and a condolence motion in the Legislative Assembly.

And Solomon MHR Damian Hale wrote to Mr Rudd asking to do what he could to honour Mr Calder.

The Prime Minister's spokeswoman, Maria Hawthorne, would not respond when asked if Silent Sam - who helped secure a fully-elected NT Legislative Assembly and self-government for the NT - would get a state funeral.

There was widespread anger yesterday when the Northern Territory News revealed exclusively that Mr Calder would not be honoured nationally.

Suspected pedophile Bob Collins was offered a state funeral because he had been a federal cabinet minister.

Opposition Deputy Leader Kezia Purick said a state funeral was the honourable thing to do.

"Should the Federal Government fail to do the right thing, it's only a short step from what the Chief Minister has already proposed to properly honouring Sam Calder's contribution to the Territory," she said.

Senator Nigel Scullion said the decision by the Rudd Government to deny a state funeral to Mr Calder was a disgrace.

"You can't tell me all of the achievements of Sam Calder are lesser achievements than those of Bob Collins, Steve Irwin and Peter Brock," he said.

"I call on Kevin Rudd ... to do the right thing for a great Australian and exceptional Territorian and give Sam Calder the state funeral he deserves."

Nationals Leader Warren Truss supports a state funeral.

"Sam Calder was one of those rare people who truly deserved the title hero," he said.

CoodaShooda
2nd Oct 2008, 23:47
Chuck and Binos

I can understand those interstate, and even those comparatively new to the NT, can find it difficult to understand the issue.

Sam Calder DFC was a war hero before coming to the NT. 120 operations on Typhoons over Europe with 247 Sq (RAF), I believe.

After the war, he became Chief Pilot with Connellan Airways, then took up management of pastoral leases larger than some European countries. His reputation was such that he was head hunted by the Country Party to stand as the Territory's sole representative in federal parliament. He defeated the long standing ALP member and became our sole voice in Canberra in the period leading to the granting of Self Government.

He helped found the Country Liberal Party, which governed the NT for the first 27 years of self government.

In short, he was a well respected and key player in Territory development from 1946 to the mid-80's.

The local view is that his contribution to the NT is worthy of greater recognition than former ALP leader of the NT opposition, federal Transport Minister and paedophilic suicide, Bob Collins. Yet Collins' family was offered a State Funeral after he took his own life.

Edited to glare at tinny for posting first. :}

tinpis
3rd Oct 2008, 07:57
Newsflash
Sam will be given a State funeral :ok:

tinpis
3rd Oct 2008, 21:58
Spokeswoman for the PM, Maria Hawthorne, said: "Prime Minister Kevin Rudd welcomes the decision by Chief Minister Paul Henderson to offer the family of Sam Calder a state funeral."

"Mr Calder was a significant figure in the development of the Northern Territory and it is fitting that his service as a war hero, pilot, pastoralist and parliamentarian is recognised in this manner," she said.

Hendo gives state funeral green light - Northern Territory News (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/10/04/7581_ntnews.html)

The Voice
3rd Oct 2008, 22:14
I see common sense prevails at last ..

Hendo - you're a complete goose for not getting up the federal end of your mob earlier.

Pete Davies from 104.9 :D:D - you're a bloody legend and most likely if it wasn't for your agitating and efforts over the last few days, this wouldn't be happening at all.

Tinny - thanks for the updates.