PDA

View Full Version : Television all sorts

Loose rivets
1st Oct 2008, 07:20
After seeing Miss Knightly's trailer for the tenth time, I could stand it no longer. I've used this site for years, and will miss it, but I can't stand this barmy intrusion every single clip that I turn to. Please tell me there's a switch.

BBC NEWS | News Front Page (http://news.bbc.co.uk/)

Romeo India Xray
1st Oct 2008, 07:46
I used to watch BBC World until their advert containing an ethnic indian style song was played every single commercial break, back to back for three times. The song was tollerable for the first 10 times of hearing, but rapidly lost it's novelty effect. I now elect to not hear such screeching - I cancelled my subscription.

BEEB is now nothing more than tabloid trash with a glossy cover - You just need to monitor their aviation reporting to figure that out.

RIX

SpringHeeledJack
1st Oct 2008, 08:31
What can you say against such brilliant minds who can see the tasty sausage, but nothing else ? Like most things in life, however charming, there is only so much that a person can take before their attention is lost either through fatigue, anger or boredom. Perhaps it's another good reason to watch a DVD or watch nothing at all.

ITV plots future in which there is no escape from ads - Times Online (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4856354.ece)

Regards

SHJ

Loose rivets
1st Oct 2008, 09:37
No need to worry now, I've just e-mailed the Beeb, they'll put everything right now.

As I've mentioned before, my DIL came back from a meeting with a T/V company, and proclaimed that adds would be put round the screen if all else failed. Sic. I'd just give up on telly.

However, this minimal add thing has a chance. One big name. (Car manufacturer.) showed a brief and quiet add, then we watched 30 mins of a comedy show. This was on a computer, but the card has hi-def out which we havn't tried yet. Hi def does need storing cos of the download rate.

It is blocked in the UK -- or so one poster said, but it'll come...IF SALES FALL OFF WHEN THEY P:mad:s OFF THIR CLIENTS....!!! Ooh, I seem to be shouting.:(

How'd it get to be 3:45? Better turn this darn thing off.:uhoh:

Sikpupi
3rd Oct 2008, 16:05
Here I am, a loyal customer for 10 old years, paying the full whack of 71 per month for all the packages and never a a bad word to say about them.

Keep getting bombarded with offers to get Sky + and Multi Room on a monthly basis through post and email and now decided to take the plunge and indulge myself!

Sounds good doesn't it ...except they want me to pay 149 for the Sky+ whereas there current offer is 49 for new customers only. Having been a customer for 10 year +++ means diddly squat!

What school of economics did their Marketing People attend???

My local dealer advises that the trick is to cancel my subs and open as a new customer in the wifes name!!! Long way around to save 100 BUT it works it seems. They can't see the big picture of getting me in on MultiRroom at another 15 per month.....guaranteed for another 10 years ++++.

That kind of customer service makes my blood boil.....they have a letter on the way cancelling Sky Sports next week and I'm going to try out Setanta for a while. Tough cookie for Sky+ & Multiroom until I see a change in attitude. !!

.....aaaaaaaagggggggggggg!!!!! Rant over!

Parapunter
3rd Oct 2008, 16:22
Get windows media centre. It does everything sky+ does I.e. pause, rewind, fast forward live tv, record shows to disc and tons more and you don't have to pay monthly for the pleasure. On top of that, you get photos, video & music, streaming video and a tv and movie guide all through one remote control.

It's the only decent thing Microsoft ever came up with, why more people don't know about it is a mystery to me - next to it, sky+ looks like the rip off it is.

Sikpupi
3rd Oct 2008, 16:41
Para....you can include me as one of those people who never heard of that!!

How would one go about that????? I got a TV / DVD player and Satelite in one room...my PC and Broadband Modem in another room (with PC using Media Player to play my playlists, listen to radio etc). So...how do I merge these 2 together???? Excuse me if I am waaayyyyy of the track here!!!

Sikky

Parapunter
3rd Oct 2008, 17:03
It comes with Visat home premium or Vista ultimate & there is an xp version too. Look here: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Home Page (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx)

and here: The Green Button - Your Media Center Community (http://thegreenbutton.com/default.aspx)

ZeBedie
3rd Oct 2008, 17:05
Phone them up and say you want to cancel - you'll probably be offered a bribe to stay. I went ahead and canceled, so now they want to give me Sky Plus for free, along with 50 M&S vouchers.

Evanelpus
3rd Oct 2008, 17:06
Don't fall for the Introduce a Friend scheme either.

Took us well over three months and numerous phone calls and e-mails to get 50 worth of M&S vouchers. Was it worth the effort, no it wasn't

merlinxx
3rd Oct 2008, 22:43
I hope this does get shown in the Cousins Country. Just copied and sent to chums in the Colonies.

Anyone else watched this prog?

Rainboe
3rd Oct 2008, 22:51
Not very funny. Gross out humour for the sake of it. The freshness of it is gone, it is just gross out stuff now. Disappointed.

Andy Rylance
3rd Oct 2008, 23:17
Same tired old jokes just translated to USA - it is just a money making thing - very surprised if it makes any ratings in the USA.. no doubt these guys are talented but go for less sick in your face kind of humour and it might work....

BigEndBob
3rd Oct 2008, 23:24
Watched it last week off internet. rubbish.

Why not just show them the UK versions, if they get it, then they get it, if not...who cares.

My American cousins husband loved 'Open all hours', so they do understand UK humour.

FlightTester
3rd Oct 2008, 23:31
...Starts on HBO later this month. It's being advertised on BBC America at the moment. Buggered if I can work out why the Beeb are flogging it off to HBO rather than showing it themselves - oh hang on I've just read the other replies to the thread!:rolleyes:

Rainboe
3rd Oct 2008, 23:40
I would have thought they'd have toned it down a bit for the American market rather than up. I think the Americans are more conservative than us and more inclined to take offence at the patronising and insulting tone rather than respond to the humour, which damn it, I couldn't really see. The Rosie O'Donnell bit just wasn't funny, the astronaut will cause offence without humour. They lost it on this one. They are the professionals, I hope they know what they are doing, but I can't see this as a hit there.

merlinxx
3rd Oct 2008, 23:44
Yup it belittles the original concept, very disappointed, no need for the swearing in front of, and from the kids. The original transferred well via file sharing. Not this time.

Sad attempt.

S'land
4th Oct 2008, 00:54
I saw a couple of the UK versions a few years ago when staying with my sister. Was it supposed to be funny? If so it failed miserably.

Rainboe
4th Oct 2008, 09:18
Yes, it was still a bit fresher then and I thought very funny, but they didn't quit when ahead like Faulty Towers. I think they have now transferred it to the US just as it starts looking stale. They should have moved onto something else or changed the format.