PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Bookmarks from Explorer?

blackadder
6th Aug 2000, 11:22
Hi, can someone tell me how to tranfer my Explorer bookmarks and Netscape bookmarks from my PC to my laptop.
Laptop only has Explorer 5.5 installed

TIA

Feline
7th Aug 2000, 23:37
BA - Take a look at Compass which stores bookmarks from both Netscape and IE in a three-frame database. I'm using the Lite version (which is Freeware) but I notice that it only works with Netscape. The current version (2.0) costs (I think) about $19.95 but well worth it in my opinion. I started using it after a crash wiped out all my bookmarks (still haven't managed to get 'em all back - but that won't happen again!) I transfer my bookmarks from my desktop to my sub-laptop whenever I set off on a trip.
Contact details I have:
Author: Daniel Liu
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://mini.net/cgi-bin/sax?3219
Compass: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/5500/compass.html Notice this website isn't working at the moment - don't know whether that is permanent or just a glitch

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

Oh yes - almost forgot - less elegant but get-the-job-done method: locate your bookmarks file in Netscape or IE (in Netscape at least it will in HTML format). Save file under another name somewhere else, and then transfer that file to your laptop. Open it as a local file with IE 5.5 - you should see all your bookmarks, and should be able to click on the one you want to fire IE up to go to that url. Not very elegant - but it works! Just remember that in Netscape, the bookmark file gets read into Netscape while it's loading, then written back out again when you close the programme.

[This message has been edited by Feline (edited 07 August 2000).]

FL310
8th Aug 2000, 01:49
Microsoft offers HELP in the Helpmenu:

Sharing bookmarks and favorites

Favorites, known as bookmarks in Netscape Navigator, are a convenient way to organize and link to Web pages that you visit frequently.

Internet Explorer automatically imports all your Netscape bookmarks. On the Favorites menu, click the Imported Bookmarks folder to view them.

If you use Internet Explorer on several computers, you can easily share favorites between computers by importing them. Also, if you use both Internet Explorer and Navigator, you can keep your favorites and bookmarks up-to-date with each other by importing them between programs.

To import bookmarks or favorites, click the File menu, and then click Import and Export.
To export favorites to bookmarks or favorites on the same or another computer, click the File menu, and then click Import and Export.
Notes

Exported favorites are saved as a regular HTML file, so either Internet Explorer or Navigator can import them. You can export a selected folder in your Favorites list, or all of your favorites.
The exported favorites file is fairly small, so you can copy it to a floppy disk or network folder, or attach it to an e-mail message if you want to share the favorite items with other people.

blackadder
8th Aug 2000, 09:04
Thanks to both of you.
I'll try it out later today.
I miss the 'search bookmarks' function of Netscape.
I'm surprised one can't search Favourites!