PDA

View Full Version : Has the commercial 'bubble' burst?

FlyingOfficerKite
30th Sep 2008, 20:16
About twenty years ago, just after I had my initial Class One medical at Gatwick and was looking forward to my commercial pilot training, an article appeared in 'Pilot' magazine which asked if the commercial pilot hiring 'bubble' had burst? Disappointment and depression followed until some years later I finally achieved my first job in commercial aviation.

Now, after flying off and on for the last twenty years (in one capacity or another), the question seems poised to be asked again.

Discuss.

FOK :)

Wholigan
30th Sep 2008, 20:20
Discuss.

No ..... shan't!!!

:E

ShyTorque
30th Sep 2008, 22:40
And what happened to please, then? :hmm:

tony draper
30th Sep 2008, 22:50
Tiz academic anyway, yer all going to be replaced by a wee black box wi a silicon chip in it ere long.
Except Mr Wholigan of course, he will be teaching the wee black boxes how to fly.
:rolleyes:

fireflybob
30th Sep 2008, 23:11
I do not believe so. Globally there is still a demand for pilots - Expansion in China, India, the Middle East airlines, and the low costs in Europe. Even with the recent demise of certain airlines, I do not think the demand will disappear overnight.

The culture of flying has been well established and peoples habits wont change that much even if the price goes up.

Are there challenges? Yes, always have been.

ShyTorque
30th Sep 2008, 23:20
Oh, I think there'll be enough demand for human input in my line of work until I have to retire.

My boss wouldn't want to be in the aircraft by himself, dodging masts, lamp posts, fences and buildings to find a 10 metre square of concrete in the dark. Not that a black box would know it's dark, but he would. Mind you, I wouldn't mind going along just to put a shilling in the meter every now and again, if that's what they want.

FlyingOfficerKite
30th Sep 2008, 23:43
Whatever happened to 'please'?

Ask MO'L - otherwise accept that this comment follows a great number of examination questions, to which I have never seen the word 'please' appended!

Travellers may be used to air travel, but if the whole 'package' exceeds their resources, then air travel may suffer as a consequence.

PLEASE tell the executives of XL, Futura and Zoom (and the other 27 or so airlines who are destined to go bust before Christmas?!) that the market still exists and airlines are profitable - and wait for their reply!

SyllogismCheck
30th Sep 2008, 23:58
Bubble, pimple, zit, balloon.... wart on the butt, call it what you will.
The answer my friend is blowing in the wind. Quite literally in fact. :ok:

Roger Sofarover
1st Oct 2008, 03:32
Ask MO'L - otherwise accept that this comment follows a great number of examination questions, to which I have never seen the word 'please' appended!

Is this an exam then?:confused:
I am beginning to panic now. How much time do we have?:eek: Who is marking the answers?:eek::eek: What happens if we don't pass?:eek::eek::eek: Who is MO'L? how do i get in touch with them to ask them:eek::eek::eek:

FlyingOfficerKite
1st Oct 2008, 12:01
Yes it is!!!!

The second question is:

PLEASE could you tell me how long is a piece of string?