View Full Version : MY mum was right,if it aint broke dont fix it

Sledge
28th Aug 2001, 12:15
After a few irritating problems with my PC operating windows Millenium,I opted for the drastic fix,formating the hard drive.All went well initially and millenium was reinstalled fresh.However in the device drivers I know apparantly have something called a mass storage controller.This device is not working properly.Also it has been unable to autodetect my cd writer,but found the cd romIt initially also told me that the pci serial controller was u/s as well,but then autodetected something with the sundblaster 1024 cd was run.This caption has now cleared.I have tried to update the driver for the mass storage device using soundblaster but this has failed.Any ideas

What_does_this_button_do?
31st Aug 2001, 18:14
Let's start from the beginning.

Installed Windows ME (tick)
It's loaded (tick?)
[at this point you can safely assume your mass storage device s working :D )
You've gone to START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM and MASS STORAGE CONTROLLER is showing a yellow question mark ?
Is the Soundblaster PCI card doing the same?

The CD writer not being detected doesn't surprise me because CDR's and DVD drive units are only detected as CD's. Saying this that doesn't mean to say when you've loaded the correct driver for your unit it will correctly self detect.