PDA

View Full Version : 747 being broken up - documentry on Channel 5

One9iner
30th Sep 2008, 20:14
Just seen this programme being shown on channel 5 . . .

Looks quite interesting.. not sure if this thread should be in "Spotters Corner" . .

Megastructures: 747 Demolition - Tuesday 30 September - Programme Details - Radio Times (http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=134&programmeId=85439942&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp)

"Documentary about the recycling of a decommissioned aeroplane. At the Evergreen Air Center in Arizona, a mammoth project is under way to break down and salvage the parts of a retired 747. Using an array of tools and techniques, engineers strip the machine back to its basic components. A use can be found for everything from the landing gear and flight controls, right down to the plane body itself."

Followed by channel 5 news so if you watch - ensure a quick channel change to avoid a budget review of todays events'. :ok:

tony draper
30th Sep 2008, 20:24
Yer watching it now,very interesting,I can tell you from experience of stripping equipment out of coms sub stations and such,it comes apart a lot quicker than it goes together.
:rolleyes:

Lon More
30th Sep 2008, 20:40
It's been shown earlier. Discovery Channel(?) several months ago

One9iner
30th Sep 2008, 20:58
Lon Mor .. apologies .. I can't afford over the basic Sky package !:ok:

I was slightly dissapointed to be honest .. reckon it might have been a better docu' if they'd shown a UK bunch of guys doing the job...

Too many "watch out this might gooooo nooooooow !!! move move ! gooood job! "

Suprised the yanks didn't just blow it up ! (sorry!)

Daysleeper
30th Sep 2008, 20:58
There is some very bad science going on on that show...

The whole bit about how a jet engine works for a start and why yes if you cut depleted uranium it will become radioactive? :hmm:

rotornut
30th Sep 2008, 21:09
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but I thought I'd mention the incrediblle ship recycling centre at Alang, India, the largest in the world. Much cruder than recycling an airplane but mightily impressive for the sheer size of the ships.

Shipbreakers - NFB - Collection (http://www.nfb.ca/collection/films/fiche/index.php?id=51361)

(Check out the film clip)

green granite
30th Sep 2008, 21:26
And, like all those programmes, the possible dangers are greatly over dramatiz(s)ed.

merlinxx
30th Sep 2008, 21:31
This was made some many years ago.

Check for the Airbus Pamela prog based in Tarbes & the Boeing initiative AFRA. The Boeing prog can be found on their site, just search for AFRA. (Aircraft Fleet Recycling Association (http://www.afraassociation.org))

One9iner
30th Sep 2008, 21:38
merlinxx :ok: apologies .. just thought it might be one of those quick JetBlast posts to notify people of the programme...

All good stuff !

merlinxx
30th Sep 2008, 21:54
T'was an alert (not a'loof) I think, but I'd seen it on TV in the Cousin's country, not the same with a Brit voice over, also dated as well. Bit of a vision space/time filler I guess.

It's a bit more sophisticated than was shown.

tony draper
30th Sep 2008, 22:11
Seems to me if they are going to plonk all those bits straight back into other aircraft of a similar ilk why didn't they just give that buggah a wipe down a squirt of oil here and there and get that puppy back into the air.
:rolleyes:

flyinho
30th Sep 2008, 22:21
Re: channel 5 scrapping 747.

I had to love the bit where the narrator referred to the elevator as the "tail flap"!!!! Brilliant!

tony draper
30th Sep 2008, 22:41
Yer I laughed at that as well, even I know that nowadays wi modern jet aircraft the wings and tails no longer flap.
:)

SyllogismCheck
1st Oct 2008, 01:16
What!!? He called the tail feathers a flap?!? Oh lordy... :bored:

Krystal n chips
1st Oct 2008, 06:40
Well that was, erm, "most interesting"......cough !......have to say that, with all due respect, the cousins do have a slight tendency towards the overdramatic with regard to routine removal of components.....let alone dropping the donks.....and the commentary / tator didn't exactly help either.

The best bit was the comment at the end actually...from the guy who said how enjoyable it was to do this when he was used to fixing the things. I can go with that having been involved in a similar operation about 1 yr ago...although the shell was destined to fly again so a lot more care was needed on the strip....however being sanctioned to cut through £xxx of looms and simply cut those inconvenient little wires.....and belt the f$%k out of brackets and frames simply to gain access did hold a certain pleasure I have to say :ok::E

Just wondered why they, as far as I am aware, didn't take the stab jack out...would have thought this would have been of use given they were ripping the PCU's out elsewhere.....they just cut the tail section of and that was that.

modtinbasher
1st Oct 2008, 20:08
Reckon those guys were prolly (allegedly) trained by a long defunct company that bladdered (allegedly) 18 of our Tonkas at St Athan in the 1980s (allegedly)! Allegedly said company (allegedly Airworks) went down t'local Labour office and asked the assorted Dai unemployed if they could 'old a spanner, if they said they could, straight up the road! "Now guys" said the contractors party boss (allegedly) "get on that there aircraft and rip those goddam fastners out with your carpenters claw hammer, pronto" (allegedly)!

Further cases (allegedly) of Hercs at Brize I now nowt about. (Fact)

MTB

foresight
1st Oct 2008, 21:29
After watching this programme I now understand how a fan engine works. Apparently the fan is for low altitude but at high altitude the air is too thin so you have to use the turbine. Can anyone explain why, if you do not need the turbine at low altitude, we don't all fly at low level and not use any fuel at all.

Did they give up on the rudder actuators or would it have been too scary to show them manhandling them from the top of a rickety ladder?

Better than most of the comedy on offer at the moment

Mycroft
1st Oct 2008, 22:11
One of the things I liked was the values quoted ; ie 'worth up to £3.4 M'. The first day they removed the engines 'already sold for £3M' and the next day 'removed £300,000 worth of instruments'; presumably meaning they spent the next 3 months scrapping everything else for £100,000

Krystal n chips
2nd Oct 2008, 06:51
KC,

Erm, why confused ?.....lets see, electrical cutting gear, high ambient temps, vapour and residual fuel.......fairly simple and inevitable conclusion really......unless you follow an equally basic procedure,,,,known as, erm, venting and mopping out....which tends to minimise the danger as I recall.