PDA

View Full Version : CV upload an privacy...need your advice

galleypower
30th Sep 2008, 19:12
Hello everyone

I am working on a non-commercial community website for pilots which enables them to upload their CV. At the moment everyone can view the data of the CV.

Would you consider this practice as too relaxed?
Would you prefer if the data is only visible to recruiters?
Would you upload your CV to such a website? In what case would you not upload?

I personally think it doesn't really matter whether your total flight time or your work experience is displayed or not. If the data is only visible to a recruiter, your data is not necessarily safer. Anyone can get access to your information by signing up for a company account. On the other hand if it is not readily visible, it might make the users feel safer...

Would appreciate your opinion on this and under what circumstances you would upload your CV.

Cheers and safe flying.

preduk
30th Sep 2008, 19:19
I wouldn't ever upload my CV to a website, it's got far too many details on it that could be used for bad reasons, I've also heard of sites selling CVs to marketing companies etc.

If I were to do it, I would want to know how you confirm the recruiters were recruiters and not just fraudsters.

One9iner
30th Sep 2008, 19:28
Before you read my answers, please understand I am a low hours guy and not nearly in a position currently to be handing my CV to an airline with the intention of asking for a job... however:

Quote:

Would you consider this practice as too relaxed? I wouldn't like my CV being publicly available to "anyone". I don't think anyone would, irrespective of which industry . . the internet is the internet!
Would you prefer if the data is only visible to recruiters? Yes, but how does one become classed as a 'recruiter' on such a webpage?.. can anyone register as a potential recruiter and then gain access to a huge amount of information?
Would you upload your CV to such a website? In what case , would you not upload? I wouldn't if I didn't trust a) the website b) the real reasons for the website c) the securty etc ...Having said all that, I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to upload too much personal information on such a website i.e. full name, date of birth, address - which surely would make the whole objective slightly fruitless unless you could advertise your credentials without naming yourself and being slightly savvy about providing sensitive information, but somehow providing a vague CV with a quick link to a personal message system which a potential employer can contact?

Like the thinking - don't like the exposure . . sorry

Adios
30th Sep 2008, 22:38
There's not a chance I'd upload my CV regardless of who could supposedly see it. Not even the UK government, MOD or lately MI6 can secure sensitive data. Why would anyone entrust theirs to a web site, especially with so many web security issues? You're just begging for identity thieves to come in and take what the banks and Wall Street/Fleet Street haven't already carted away this week. Besides, airline recruiters won't bother looking at such a web site in the first place because they are flooded with CVs already.

galleypower
1st Oct 2008, 20:18
Thanks guys for your honest answers. Appreciate it.
The website doesn't have a problem with 'security issues' as pointed out above. Its simply a matter of what is being displayed and what is not.

Any data you submit to a bank or institution or to the intranet of your employer is to some extent exposed. Technicians have access to servers etc.
So even if someone makes you believe that your data cannot be accessed in any way is probably lying.

I don't think that such a CV database is very interesting for companies like BA or CX and the like. But recruitment agencies and smaller regionals do need pilots and sometimes can't find them.

Freelance pilots might have a special interest to post their CV...

So I will probably hide the details of the CVs combined with an identity check of the companies which have access to the database.

Anything else you would recommend to make everyone happy? :)

preduk
1st Oct 2008, 22:16
CV upload systems don't work, companies don't like going searching through websites looking at individual CVs to find out the majority don't fit what they are looking for.

You are best having the companies post up their vacancies along with the entry requirements. It's safer, cheaper and takes less time.

galleypower
12th Oct 2008, 19:44
Hello everyone

Thanks for all your inputs. I've changed the described CV upload function so that only registered airlines and recruitment agents can view the sensitive data.
In order to see the data, the companies need to fax or mail a form confirming their status. So if your on job search or want to advertise your availability as freelance pilot please go ahead. PM me if necessary.