PDA

View Full Version : Some career/timing advice, with the current affairs and outlooks

SparksFlyHigh
30th Sep 2008, 12:28
I have finished college now, and I am currently working for a good company on a good wage. I don't want to make another repetitive thread regarding whether to go to university or not or whether to spend £70k at OAA etc.

My question is about timing, and how to use this to my advantage. Firstly this is what, as of today, I plan to do (it changes almost daily :rolleyes:). Regard a year September to September in this case.

Year 1 & 2 - Continue working, finish ppl off, and save as much as possible.

Year 3-5 - University - Aviation management with pilot studies or similar

Year 6 - Finish IR + Instructors rating

Year 7+ Hopefully in a position to be sending out those c.v's whilst working as an instructor/airial survey/small charter etc.

Now, if i followed this and it all worked out, I would be 25/26 year old instructor, with a degree, and hopefully no debt, or only a very small amount (due to working year 1 & 2).

Financial contingency - Work year 1, 2 and 3 to ensure as little debt as possible.

Failed medical contingency - Use of degree/college qualification to find an aviation related managerial/operations job.

Aviation industry on the rocks contingency - Focus on an engineering position/technical post elsewhere/back into education if necessary.

So what do we reckon in regards to my plan and most importantly, the timing? Do you reckon that would be a good time to pop my head up with an fATPL?

SFH