PDA

View Full Version : Fistfights at Air Canada?

Cyclic Hotline
17th May 2001, 01:52
No Chance of Fighting in Air Canada Cockpits - Ottawa

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada's transport minister on Wednesday dismissed speculation that a simmering dispute between two pilot groups at Air Canada, the country's dominant airline, could lead to fistfights in its cockpits.

"I think that anybody who suggests there is some safety problem related to contractual disputes is being irresponsible," David Collenette told reporters.

Pilots who used to work for Canadian Airlines -- which was swallowed up by Air Canada in late 1999 -- say a ruling by an independent arbitrator means they will lose much of their seniority in the enlarged airline.

CBC television said tensions between the two sets of pilots were growing and reported there had even been a fistfight in an airport crew room, raising questions about what would happen when Air Canada and former Canadian pilots started sharing cockpits later this year.

"Our skies are safe and the pilots of Air Canada -- including the ones that came from Canadian Airlines -- are professionals," said Collenette.

"When they get in the cockpit their first obligation is to the safety of that plane and the passengers in the plane."

The former Canadian Airlines pilots have turned to Canada's industrial relations board in a bid to overturn the arbitrator's decision on seniority.

JoeCo
17th May 2001, 19:14
AAAHHHHHH!!!!! Anothe FINE example of Canadian aviation at it's very best!!! Boy....sure does make me proud...???

Squawk 8888
17th May 2001, 20:12
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">CBC television said tensions between the two sets of pilots were growing and reported there had even been a fistfight in an airport crew room</font>
Can pretty much dismiss that one- the government-run CBC has never been known to air anything remotely resembling the truth.

------------------
Per dementia ad astra

Airbubba
17th May 2001, 20:18
Sounds like a normal merger of seniority lists to me &lt;g&gt;...

Roadtrip
17th May 2001, 22:31
Sure am glad there's no problems like that with the TWA acquisition by AAL!