PDA

View Full Version : Computer clock keeps resetting - AAGH!

Peter Perfect
10th May 2000, 11:38
Each and every new sunny day i look at my wonderful computer, it keeps resetting the clock to 1 hour less than the correct time. I keep changing it back, but it just laughs at me and does its own thing again. I've reset the clock using 'settings' & in the BIOS, but "same same!". Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Squiddley
10th May 2000, 12:38
Peter,

You may well find that the operating system you are using has been told (by default?) to adjust for daylight saving time.

You can check by going to Start>settings>control panel, then opening the "Date/time" window, and select the "Time Zone" tab. At the bottom left there should be a tick box mentioning "automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes"

If you live in a time zone where daylight saving is not used, you might like to check/replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard.

N.B. Check your mobo documentation BEFORE tinkering with the battery, as you will either lose all the BIOS settings by removing the battery (they revert to the factory default including passwords), OR you have a short time to swap batteries quickly before losing any data. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Hope this helps.
Best wishes.

Ausatco
10th May 2000, 13:41
My mobo has a connector so you can plug in an external battery pack either as a permanent replacement for a flat CMOS battery or as a tempo power supply while you replace the flat one. Good idea, haven't had to use it yet :)

AA

Peter Perfect
10th May 2000, 23:02
Squiddley. Thanks. the check box in the left hand corner is greyed out and i can't adjust it. Any ideas?

Squiddley
16th May 2000, 08:47
PP

If the tick box is greyed out, you have a time zone that doesn't adjust for daylight saving : scratch plan A :)

I'd say it's the CMOS battery running out, which is the only other cause I've come across.

You might get more joy or at least a more comprehensive answer from a site such as winmag.com or (doubtful) from the horse's mouth direct, MS.

Good luck.