PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear Oz @ Camden?

Critical Reynolds No
30th Sep 2008, 01:38
Hi All,

Saw the first attempt at the Top Gear Oz on the SBS last night.:{:ugh:

The airport they used to run the cars around appeared to be Camden. have not been there for a while but gee those houses are getting close.

My Bro also went to the taping in the hanger at BK. He aint a plane nut so didn't know which one they used.

Cheers

Cap'n Arrr
30th Sep 2008, 01:42
I watched it too. I vote that they put "Top Gear Australia" on their "What Were They Thinking?" wall:ugh:

Lookleft
30th Sep 2008, 01:47
It was like watching a Bizarro version of the UK Top Gear. I got as far as the sand dune race on Stockton beach and turned it off.

Howard Hughes
30th Sep 2008, 02:05
I vote that they put "Top Gear Australia" on their "What Were They Thinking?" wall
Me too!

Making a piss poor copy was probably a lot cheaper than getting the Top Gear boys over here for a series or two...:rolleyes:

They all looked out of place and nobody in the audience laughed when they cracked a joke. I'll give it one more week, it can only get better!;)

cficare
30th Sep 2008, 02:15
The sad thing is that we probably wont see Top Gear UK while this charade is played out. On last nights effort i'd give it 1 out of 10.

povopilot
30th Sep 2008, 02:23
Absolute Shizen! I have never seen such a poor rip off of a bloody fantastic show. Who the hell are the blokes hosting it? The "Jeremy Clarkson" of the show was pathetic, they must have saved on script writers and just given him the script for the UK version - and then instructed him to make it unfunny.

Never been to Camden but the layout in ERSA doesnt exactly look like it would make a great race track. Also agree with Reynolds# re the houses, they are even closer than at EN and MB. Does anyone know if they kick up a fuss?, or do they accept the fact that they bought a cheap house next to a training airport and that the airport was there first.

povopilot.

nick2007
30th Sep 2008, 02:23
They certainly have big shoes to fill. I'm not sure why they have tried to copy the British series, right down to the nature of the presenters. This way it's just a poor copy that will never look quite right in the shadow of what it's trying to immitate.
Perhaps if they presented something a little different, it would give it an edge.

Howard Hughes
30th Sep 2008, 02:24
I think you are far too generous cficare...;)

tinpis
30th Sep 2008, 02:31
Thread started in JB folks http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/345164-oz-top-gear-cringe.html
Tell the Poms we know shite when we see it.

kookabat
30th Sep 2008, 02:33
Anyone who's gone for a spin around the taxiways at CN recently would have seen the skidmarks everywhere....

flyinggit
30th Sep 2008, 02:57
sad real sad, I'm embarrassed to be an Aussie when that rubbish is produced by us:{
I'd call the show "First Gear", they'll never get out of low with :yuk:junk like that.

FG

Cap'n Arrr
30th Sep 2008, 03:03
I did catch myself wondering why they used Camden. Surely Eastern Creek, or a purpose built track would be better than a bunch of d:mad:kheads all but shutting down Camden:rolleyes:

tinpis
30th Sep 2008, 03:06
The only thing that might save it is some tits.:E
Then again I dont think so :uhoh:
I'd say its a one term wonder like KRudd

cficare
30th Sep 2008, 03:31
Hey Cap'n Arrr,

No way you could put them at Eastern Creek....they could have killed themselves!

Cap'n Arrr
30th Sep 2008, 03:36
Yes... yes they could...:E

(Maybe a little harsh:})

povopilot
30th Sep 2008, 03:48
I'm with tinpis, it is on SBS after all. Just change it to the 8:30 timeslot and get some female's onto the show. There is a fishing show on FOXTEL that involves 3 chicks wearing bugger all going out to sea together, I'm not the biggest fan of fishing but this show had me glued to the telly.

TexanPilot
30th Sep 2008, 07:08
I did catch myself wondering why they used Camden.I think they just wanted to copy the original in every aspect even down to the driving on an airport.

I would have to agree with everything written here, I'm a huge fan of the original and the head presenter must of watched all the Clarkson DVD's and is trying to copy him only doing a :mad: job.

I don't think it will last long :D

Stationair8
30th Sep 2008, 07:31
Bring over Mr Clarkson, May, Hammond and the Stig and do it properly.

The best thing about Clarkson is that he his a politically incorrect person and get's away with it. Last weeks episode using female model's to describe the different model and variants of the Porsche's was up to his usual standard!!

In england BBC have a program called Fifth Gear using female presenter's and is a direct copy of Top Gear except that it politically correct !!!

Who are the three muppet's that do the Australian show, and the little muppet with fungus on his face what's his claim to fame?

VH-XXX
30th Sep 2008, 07:34
It would seem that the Australian TV viewing public doesn't agree with your findings.

A SECOND series of motoring TV show Top Gear Australia is already in the pipeline after its premiere won over audiences.
About 933,000 viewers around the country watched the debut last night, giving SBS its highest ratings for a locally produced television program ever.
SBS head of TV Matt Campbell admitted he was disappointed not to crack the one million mark, but was still happy with the figures, which were higher than any season premiere of the British original.
"It was always going to be a tough call but to come in better than the UK series is quite an achievement," Mr Campbell said.
A second series is now being planned, he said.
"We're in discussions now. We'd like to roll on, obviously, from a production perspective," Mr Campbell said.
"It's been a big challenge. Series two will be a much better series. It always is because you learn so much in the first one."
Last night's episode featured a guest appearance from Australian actor Vince Colosimo and new cars tested such as the Lotus Elise, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 PDK.
Despite the fact the series came third in its timeslot behind Seven's Border Security and Nine's US hit Two And a Half Men, media experts applauded it as a success, especially after it beat Australian Idol on Ten.
Leading media buyer Harold Mitchell said "it's got a very strong and large following which will continue" while Vincent O'Donnell from Melbourne's RMIT University said the figures were "really encouraging".
O'Donnell said its success would lay with whether hosts Warren Brown, Charlie Cox and Steve Pizzati could keep differentiating themselves from the British hosts as well as win over females.
"The test of the Australian program will be, will it repeat the success of the British program of getting a large female demographic, because in this case, Australian automotive advertisers are going to love it," O'Donnell said.
Campbell said he hoped to crack the one million mark next week with it's Ford vs Holden stand-off and guest appearance from actor Steve Bisley.
"If that doesn't bring in the petrol heads, then there's something wrong," he said.
He also announced actor Jack Thompson would guest star later in the series.
The Australian version is the first outside Britain.

Trojan1981
30th Sep 2008, 07:41
Why have they [email protected]!ked with a winning formula?! They should get that bollocks off the air and spend the development cash on the latest episodes from the UK.
I wonder what Clarkson would say about his local alter-ego?

I wonder if they filmed the Citabria landing in the middle of their shoot?

H_Girl
30th Sep 2008, 07:46
I suggest they wait for a couple of weeks before they announce a 2nd series. We all turned on to watch the 1st episode but i for one wont be watching next week. What a shame it was just crap!

Capt Wally
30th Sep 2008, 07:52
yeah I don't know what ya all cryin about, TOp Gear Oz was fantastic, it allowed me 30 mins or so of uninterupted sleep time 'cause not once did I open my eyes to want to see it!!:ok: Thumbs up from me, bring it on great for a snooze on the couch whilst the TV is on !

'XXX' Always makes me laugh when the press say such things as the Aussie viewing public loved it, who did they pole? NOBODY from PPRUNE so far!:bored: Obviously it was well watched, 'cause it was the FIRST, & hopefully the last!

CW

Stationair8
30th Sep 2008, 07:58
Mrs Stationair8 gave it the thumbs down, not happy!

Howard Hughes
30th Sep 2008, 08:21
Mrs Hughes thought it was crap too!:eek:

Was it just me or did 'the Stig' imposter look like some kid wearing his dads helmet?:rolleyes:

kotoyebe
30th Sep 2008, 09:26
The sad thing is that we probably wont see Top Gear UK while this charade is played out. On last nights effort i'd give it 1 out of 10.

Just use the internet and download the latest UK episodes using a torrent. Please check legalities yourself. I have only heard about it;)

They have shown 6 episodes of the latest UK (real!) version but it is having a break at the moment.

PS...shh...don't tell anyone, but there's a new fastest car around the circuit!

Jethro Gibbs
30th Sep 2008, 10:05
it was crap the presenters were shockers:eek::eek::eek:

Stationair8
30th Sep 2008, 10:10
One wonders how one would explain to the insurance company how your 30 year old Skyhawk come to be written off by some git driving a car at high speed on a taxiway at your local airport?

Andy05
30th Sep 2008, 10:32
Its nice to see that the real Top Gear have access to an airport
to make such a great show. As we know in the UK they have a few airports that arent being used but where very useful in time of war.
Unfortunatly we dont have the luxuary of many airports in the Sydney
area and 1 out of the 3 (soon to be 2) gets temp closed and we need to ask nicely to use the runway and hope they dont tell us to use the grass strip. NOT HAPPY CRAP SHOW. Keep the real guys on.:ugh::ugh:

Ultralights
30th Sep 2008, 10:34
how can you call it a Rip off , of the original.... if you havent noticed, its a Franchise of the original... and hence, by its intended nature, will be very similar.

Cap'n Arrr
30th Sep 2008, 10:37
Very similar with some minor differences

Top Gear UK is entertaining, Top Gear Aus is not.

Clarkson and Co are funny, the tossers on the Aus one are not

:}

das Uber Soldat
30th Sep 2008, 11:46
Utter garbage.

Perhaps ill take a student and go practice flour bombing next time they take over camden :)

Flokkered
30th Sep 2008, 12:08
What shat me was the fact that I'm in the market for a new soft roader and was actually looking forward to a good review of the 3 - you know the usual like specs/pricing/key features/performance/drivablility etc. But all I got was hooning around the dunes and snow carrying on like a bunch of tossers driving hire cars - hell they didn't even say if the Xtrail was the diesel or not. Absolute utter crap..my 3 year old could have reviewed the cars better. Bring banck JC and the crew. Time to get on the blower to SBS.
Flok

Unusual-Attitude
30th Sep 2008, 12:25
Ach naw!

I'm an expat Scotsman, an been living here for a while now, (and believe me, there's nae one here who loves pom bashin' mer than me), but that pish that was on last night...well, i felt bad fer ye!

Even i would sooner see they plummy pom b'stards (clarkson etc) before that shower o' shite i saw last night...

Naw guid!

:*

9v-SKA
30th Sep 2008, 18:21
Thats definately Camden. But why camden? The aerodrome was closed for the fliming?

Edit: Apparently not. I wonder how both GA traffic and the cars mix.

A Comfy Chair
30th Sep 2008, 21:13
VH-XXX,

I think its high ratings might be purely because of its association with the "real" Top Gear. Those figures just show how many people watched... not if they liked it.

I'd love to see the faces of those producers thinking it has a second season in it when the ratings come out after its second or third week :}

gupta
30th Sep 2008, 22:40
The taping is done in the old AFTS hangar at Bankstown