PDA

View Full Version : gold coast flying schools

getupthere
29th Sep 2008, 20:47
hey guys,
just wondering if anyone knows much about the flying school in the gold coast?? who to avoid and who are really good to work for??

i dont have much knowledge on the schools over there so am just doing some investigating!

:):)

glenb
30th Sep 2008, 00:00
Have heard many excellent reports about Australian Wings Academy. A well resourced flying school, and one of the best employers in Australia for instructors. Above award salaries, and great career progression.

rep
30th Sep 2008, 01:07
u got the choice of wings who pay really good, and got awesome facilities, but its a bit of an international sausage fest

or u have air gold coast who mainly train part time guys and have average facilities

getupthere
30th Sep 2008, 02:13
ok thanks.. do you have any idea of the kind of requirments flying schools have over there? i currently have 200 instructing single engine

rep
2nd Oct 2008, 07:36
ull have no problem getting a job with wings...

they will be needing 20+ instructors over the next few years with the expansion of the flying school

PlankBlender
2nd Oct 2008, 12:25
..been contemplating the Gold Coast for a instructing job too. Anyone know anything about the Southport Flying Club?

Ando1Bar
2nd Oct 2008, 22:11
ull have no problem getting a job with wings...

they will be needing 20+ instructors over the next few years with the expansion of the flying school

Only if you like living in Gunnedah.

JetX
3rd Oct 2008, 01:58
Australian wings academy(AWA) pay from what i hear, $10K above the award and all instructors get a pay rise every year. They cater for international airline cadets and fully structured full time CPL's. They have a fleet of Diamonds, 172's and a BE76. Awesome IFR sim and New modern facilities although expect that to reflect in there pricing! It's flat out most days of the week and the reception staff seem to struggle returning phone calls, unless your willing to spend over $20K. They just don't cater for anything less. If you talk to previous and current instructors here, it's more a get in, get hours, get out style, Why? I don't know. Thats just what you hear from them. They do seem to have a higher turn over than air gold coast, whether this is to do with flying more hours and moving on quicker, or work issues I don't know and I am not in a position to comment.

Air Gold Coast no more than 500m away pay the award and have a fleet of 152, 172, 182, BE76. Fairly standard facilities but more one on one training with decent instructors, plus they are cheaper than AWA, offer more personalized service and from what i gather are expanding there current facilities. If you talk to previous and current instructors from here, they seem to be more content with the "work" lifestyle and you don't come across to many bitter comments.

The southport flying club is a private field, with NO commercial ops. Costs $20K to be a member, plus a meeting by all people on the board (w*ank, W*ank).... they operate in there own little world. Mostly bug smashers and weekend warriors who seem to contstantly struggle making radio calls until there 200FT away from you! :ugh:

Over all both of the schools on the coast have good reps, pay well and you fly decent hours and live in a relaxed place.

goldypilot
3rd Oct 2008, 10:57
AWA is the bomb. they are real nice people and treat you well. I did my training there and i would recomend it to anyone. i am not one to post on PRUNE but when AWA is involved i need to put my 2 cents in. Yes its alot of coin but its is aviation. the rule of 3 Fs. if it
Floats
Flys or
fu#%s
your up for alot of coin.

I have flown out bush and they set me up for it real well. Ride on AWA

pilot1991
29th Mar 2010, 21:08
Please whatever you do...do not go to Australian Wings Academy

The school fills you with lies...AWA is self distructing...all they care about is Air Asia cadets..if your not one of them they couldnt care less..however they do when it comes to paying them!

Who do you think is going to get priority when you want to book a flight? you (self funded individual, or an air asia cadet)...i'll leave that one up to you!

Air asia students are already 3 months behind schedule (despite the weather thats been happening) The school has never heard of the word "organize"

Also since I started flying there I have seen more than 15 instructors leave (most of them fired or got fed up with the school nonsense it creates) The school is on the brink of collapsing as the air asia contract will certainly been cancelled before the end of the year. Once that happens there will be very few people left as most of the self funded students have left as a result of the schools inability to book flights, and lacking customer satifisfation!

Karma is a b****! Please dont make the same mistake we (ex awa students have!). Anymore questions let me know

Pilot1991

offdaground
15th Apr 2010, 23:31
ALL LIES. Poor pay and next to no job security. The ax is always ready to fall on AWA staff!

j3pipercub
15th Apr 2010, 23:42
Yay! Another Probationary Poster!

tail wheel
16th Apr 2010, 03:49
getupthere

For any other information you need, use our SEARCH facility. :=

Tail Wheel