PDA

View Full Version : Pets irrational fears

frostbite
29th Sep 2008, 21:27
I once had an Alsatian that, although quite fearless in other respects, had a strong aversion to umbrellas. Had him since a pup, so it wasn't a result of any previous experience.

Now, I have a parrot with a thing about rugs. He gets quite panicky if I move one with my foot, but if I pick one up, even across the room from him, he growls and then howls.

Any odd pets in your house?

fernytickles
29th Sep 2008, 22:08
my husband ... :}

Foss
29th Sep 2008, 22:26
Idiot hates...
paper, the washing machine, sideboards (staring), dishwasher, plastic bags.
Supose they're all really noise related, the sideboard thing counts as weird.

tony draper
29th Sep 2008, 22:38
One of our SWHs Barney of beloved memory, was terrified of Bluebottles,we suspected he had been stung at some time by a wasp or some such,if one flew into the house he would flee and hide under nephews computer desk,to lure him out it was necessary to slay said Bluebottle and take the squished corpse into nephews room and show Barney same,I kid you not, he had no fear of normal type flying critters just big buzzy Bluebottles, apart from that he was a normal fearless JR Terrier.
:uhoh:

ShyTorque
29th Sep 2008, 22:54
Our 2 year old "rescued" dog will go beserk at anyone carrying a parcel.
As the delivery man found out last week when he helpfully tried to put a big parcel inside the front hall as I signed for it. I advised him to back out carefully and put it on the ground, whereupon the dog stopped barking and growling and laid down.

Something else drives her to distraction. We live near a canal. If a narrowboat is going through a lock and the occupants' legs can't be seen, she hates it and barks her big silly head off, until I take her up to the edge and show her that they really do have legs, whereupon she settles down immediately.

Sometimes she appears to see something at the same place in the lane where we go to her wooded walk, towards an old monasterial farm. She lies down in the road and watches it, refusing to go on. Sometimes whatever it is seems to be in the adjacent field and then she will walk quickly past it, watching it intently. Weird! :suspect:

Um... lifting...
29th Sep 2008, 23:33
For my part, girlfriend once accused me of an irrational fear of the vacuum cleaner... she claimed I shared this with her Samoyed.
Said Sammy was not irrational, but keenly disliked the vacuum, as it was used to deprive her of her overabundance of luxuriant fuzziness.
As for me, the vacuum and I respect one another's space and coexist happily, living our separate lives.

G-SCUD
30th Sep 2008, 00:15
UL - The ONLY thing that distinguishes humans from the rest of the animal kingdom is that we are not afraid of vacuum cleaners…

Whirlygig
30th Sep 2008, 00:19
Be afraid .... very afraid!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41j6OJJrH5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Cheers

Whirls

G-CPTN
30th Sep 2008, 00:54
My bassethound had been rejected by her previous owner and put into 'livery'. She was soft as clarts and tolerated toddler nephew sitting on her back and holding her ears as handlebars, but would cower and snarl if a man wearing a coat and hat came into the house (first noticed with my father - who rarely wore a hat but he had been to a funeral IIRC, and reproduced when I put on the hat).

Another foible was that we had removed a lower kitchen cupboard and installed a dog bed. Anyone could climb into the bed with her (young nephew or even myself) until late evening when she had decided that she had 'gone to bed' - then she would attack anyone that tried to disturb her.

In the morning, my mother would let her out then she would run upstairs and climb into bed with me, tunnel down, turn around and lay her head on the pillow alongside mine with her body under the bedclothes.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
30th Sep 2008, 01:50
[old joke]

UL - The ONLY thing that distinguishes humans from the rest of the animal kingdom is that we are not afraid of vacuum cleaners…

That's because humansd are not part of the natural world and nature abhors a vacuum
[/old joke]

Howard Hughes
30th Sep 2008, 02:25
You mean like grass? I kick the ball across garden, dog chases it then procedes to walk back to me around the concrete garden edging!

Perhaps he doesn't want to step in any poo...;)

Floppy Link
30th Sep 2008, 09:28
Our collie hates the broom, the easiest way to get him out of the house is to sweep him out.
He loves the washing machine - we call it "Dog TV" - he'll sit and watch the clothes go round all day long.

Thanks to Foss, he's also called the Idiot

angels
30th Sep 2008, 09:47
My mate's Alsatian was petrified of lamp standards -- specifically the shade on them. One assumes that one fell on her when she was a itsy witsy puppy. My mate didn't know because she was a Battersea dog.

If you even uttered the word lampshade she would rush off and hide.

And this from a dog that dealt with two would-be burglars who had to rush next door and plead to be taken in so that they could stop having lumps being painfully torn out of them. :ok:

Rather be Gardening
30th Sep 2008, 11:05
My dog is frightened by high viz jackets and those crackley ones that postmen/milkmen etc wear. He's normally the gentlest of animals, but will snarl and cower when one of these jackets appear. We've had him from when he was a puppy, but can't tie it down to a specific incident. I sometimes worry that someone wearing one might have been cruel to him while he was in kennels.

He's not keen on fireworks either.

Dop
30th Sep 2008, 11:07
The only thing I remember ours (a shih-tzu/cairn terrier cross) being afraid of was rustling plastic - like the tray from a box of chocolates. As soon as he heard that, he was off.
I remember one windy day on a walk we came across a sheet of plastic wrapped round a fence post, rustling and flapping in the wind. I had to pick him up and carry him past that as he just refused to go anywhere near it!

Gainesy
30th Sep 2008, 11:56
My two (Slobberadors) both bark at "legless" people and both hate reflective jackets. Jet hates aerosols, if he hears a fly in the room, he'll leg it if I pick up the fly spray.

Casper doesn't like one of the weather girls on Sky and growls at her, she's got crap legs, so I can see his point.

Romeo India Xray
30th Sep 2008, 12:14
The cat hates vacuum cleaners (any type), but will sit quite contentedly watching me while I use power tools (angle grinder, circular saw, jigsaw, belt sander, and even an industrial floor sander (how she can diferentiate that from a vacuum cleaner is beyond me) etc).

RIX

Scooby Don't
30th Sep 2008, 15:29
It is safe to assume my cats are NOT scared of the dog....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/2900917661_d197da5314.jpg

Davaar
30th Sep 2008, 16:21
humans from the rest of the animal kingdom is that we are not afraid of vacuum cleaners…

Is that quite true? I have heard women complain that men are indeed terrified of vacuum cleaners, will go to any lengths to avoid them. Believe it or not, this has even been suggested of me!

On the animals, our late cat Kasimir took great offence at the cat that lived behind every pane of glass that K wanted to look through.

Come to think of it, though, he liked two things (a) crocodiles on the TV; and (b) that time I had the sore eye and had to put in drops four times per day. This required me to lie down on the sofa to get the angle right for the dropper, and K was right up there on my chest, gaze fixed for the next performance. Loved it.

merlinxx
30th Sep 2008, 16:40
Two cats, two Jacks one Red Irish Nutter all asleep in a heap, washing machine on, all go 'troppo' When on their own no snag with the washer. Total nutters, but I loved em!

Krystal n chips
30th Sep 2008, 19:04
Actually, it's the erm, reverse in my case.....or rather me and three other humans associated with a mere 2.2kgs of female Persian CAT....whose sole objective in life is complete domination of the human species..... nothing quite like incurring the wrath at some point in the evening....and waiting for revenge to strike at a more convenient (for the Cat) time around 00silly hrs. Irrational thoughts = survival in this case.

Standard Noise
30th Sep 2008, 20:53
Lucyfer is terrified of the vacuum and runs away from it with her tail between her legs. Conversely, she barks at the lawn mower and tries to attack it when it starts up.
She also sits in the lounge staring at the back wall as if there's summat there. Mind you, the MIL apparently used to have a Chinese spirit guide which sat up on the wall of her lounge, so maybe he lives in our lounge now.:uhoh:

flower
30th Sep 2008, 21:06
My Spaniel is also terrified of the Vacuum Cleaner poor thing is utterly terrified however instead of running out into the garden he goes into the corner of a room which he knows I vacuum the stupid mutt. Same Hound is also terrified of the Hairdryer, the Labrador however loves the hairdryer and attempts to sit on my lap whilst I'm using it :ooh:

tony draper
30th Sep 2008, 22:21
I have had quite a few pooches my life over the years and the fear of loud bangs, fireworks ect is a strange one, it seems to effect about 50% of hound kind,yet the other 50% seem utterly indifferent to loud noises of any kind,why this should be so is a puzzle,summat to do with hearing sensitivity perchance?
:confused:

frostbite
30th Sep 2008, 22:44
Parrot is weird like that too. Gets quite demented at almost inaudible sound of rustling cellophane etc., seems convinced it's something going to attack him, and yet quite unbothered by fireworks unless they're really close.

sthaussiepilot
1st Oct 2008, 01:33
Our little Maltese x Shitzu is terrified of the nail clippers....
Got the most expensive ones, and you should hear her getting her nails clipped... little screams... poor little thing...

Bought a cheap-o different pair... shes not as bad with them :ugh:

arcniz
1st Oct 2008, 03:08
I have had quite a few pooches my life over the years and the fear of loud bangs, fireworks etc is a strange one, it seems to affect about 50% of hound kind,yet the other 50% seem utterly indifferent to loud noises of any kind,why this should be so is a puzzle, summat to do with hearing sensitivity perchance?

Dr. T: My guess is hormones... and their effect of operating pre-natal or post or yesterday.. who knows for sure? I'd guess the early weeks of gestation, but maybe that special window in the developing floorplan builds the roots of receptors that subsequently operate day to day for as long as we're moving?

Take a gaggle of 8-yr old kids out to a park, equal numbers M & F. Set off an unexpected explosion nearby. If one then counts the number gone to ground and the ones standing eager & alert, the esterogenic (and far wiser) portion will be trying to look as inconspicuous as possible, and the testeronic fraction will mutter to selves - "let's do that again, soon".

Not talking about the actual published gender here, but the early days & weeks of life 'in the soup' for each individual critter... dog, cat or 2-leg.

Scooby Don't
1st Oct 2008, 04:02
That Nutbar Boogerhead, aka the dog, is scared of the vacuum is not unusual judging by this thread. The cat pictured on page one, however, has an interesting relationship with my wife's hairdryer (no, not like that you perverts!). He likes the ocassional blast of hot air from it, but still seems to object to the noise. He demonstrates this by batting my wife's feet as she dries her hair. She claims these are full-power kitty punches, though frankly she never limps afterwards so I reckon she's protesting too much...

OFSO
1st Oct 2008, 11:04
Buster the Magnificent, the cat for whom I'm the designated human servant, is happy to sit on the edge of our terrace looking down (about 50') into our jungle below, but gets in a scratchin' panic if picked up and carried even remotely near the edge as "we are going to throw him over" - he thinks..... but why he thinks this we don't know.

He's lived here 12 years, master of the house, does what he wants, treats my wife with contempt, dislikes cats, tolerates dogs, has a never-empty bowl of Kitty Kat - so a life of utter bliss, then.

But a bad case of acrophobia. Catrophobia ?

RaF

Standard Noise
1st Oct 2008, 11:13
My sister had two cross breed alsations years ago and the small slightly aggressive one was terrified of the vacuum whereas the other taller 'nervy' one wouldn't let you vacuum the floor until you'd run the nozzle over his back a few times.
But then when she had her first nipper, the small one would sit at the pram/cot and growl at people who went near the pram. The tall one wouldn't go near the pram and when the baby started wailing, he ran and hid under the stairs.

mustpost
1st Oct 2008, 11:19
I think this is of some relevance in a 'pets and noise' thread ;) BBC NEWS | England | Cumbria | Bite delight for £7m lotto winner (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7643584.stm)

It is of course a SWH Herr Drapes....

Storminnorm
1st Oct 2008, 11:20
Mr drapes.
I reckon that a fear of noises in pets is the result
of the owners probable transmission of thier own
fear of noise TO the pet in question. :eek:

tony draper
1st Oct 2008, 12:05
7 million int bank and a JRT? should that lass ask for one's hand in marriage one would not hesitate.:)

Wod
1st Oct 2008, 12:09
In my youth my mother went to babysit a neighbour's child.

She rang me to come round and pacify the Alsatian.

The child slept through the thunderstorm, but I spent it under the bed, calming the dog. (Big lump of a thing it was - pretended nothing had happened afterwards )

Beatriz Fontana
1st Oct 2008, 12:23
Maybe it's a cat and owner allignment, but the otherwise fearless Iranian really doesn't like the noise of fireworks or nearby thunder. Like me.

Mind you, I don't sit around all day batting passing spiders or curled up asleep.