PDA

View Full Version : A cautioanarry tale for chilli lovers

green granite
29th Sep 2008, 14:17
Chef Dies After Hot Chilli Dare

Andrew Lee suffered a heart attack (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/fc/heart-disease.html) the morning after betting a friend he could eat the hottest dish.
The 33-year-old - who had just passed a medical - complained of itching all over his body as he tried to sleep after the meal. Girlfriend Samantha Bailey woke in the morning and discovered him dead in bed beside her. The mother of four called paramedics but they could not revive him. Toxicology tests are now being carried out to see if the Mr Lee, a forklift truck driver from Edlington, Doncaster, suffered a fatal reaction to the dish or whether anything else contributed to his death.
Cooking was one of Mr Lee's main interests and he made the dish with red chillis grown specially for the contest by dad John on his allotment, the Doncaster hearing was told.
Mr Lee's sister, Claire Chadbourne, 29, said that he took a jar of the sauce to the home of his girlfriend, Samantha Bailey, and challenged her brother Michael, 29, to see who could eat it.
"Andrew just ate the chillies with a plate of Dolmio sauce," she said. "It was not a proper meal because he had already eaten lamb chops and potato mash after work.
"He apparently got into bed at 2.30am and started scratching all over. His girlfriend scratched his back until he fell asleep. She woke up and he had gone. It is incredible. Who would have thought he could have died from eating chilli sauce?
"We don't know of anything else that could have caused his death. The post mortem showed no heart problems.

:=:=..............................

modtinbasher
29th Sep 2008, 15:11
Perhaps he'd just had a very bad chill. :ooh:

Foss
29th Sep 2008, 15:23
He eats chillies, he likes chillies, then he develops an allergic reaction and dies after eating chillies.
I'm sticking to fish fingers, can't go wrong with Bird's Eye.

dazdaz
29th Sep 2008, 15:51
It is a fact that eating hot curries can raise the bp. .

bunnywabbit
29th Sep 2008, 17:19
If you use them to cook wash your hands before going for a pee!:eek::uhoh::\:sad:

TURIN
29th Sep 2008, 20:28
I'm sticking to fish fingers, can't go wrong with Bird's Eye

Unless they're Bird Eye Chillies of course. :eek:

Foss
29th Sep 2008, 20:46
Wish I'd thought of that. :rolleyes:

The hottest form is the Bird's Eye Chili Pepper, which is also known as Chili padi. This refers to the small size of the chili that reminds people about the small size of paddy (rice)

Rollingthunder
29th Sep 2008, 21:22
This guy was not a chef, merely a hack cook. The finesse is to create good taste in a dish, not strictly heat.

There is also dispute about the world's hottest chili but the Dorset Naga seems to have the lead.

Scoville Heat Units

Pure capsaicin: 15m to 16m

US Police-grade pepper spray: 5m

Dorset Naga: 923,000

Red Savina habanero: 577,000

Scotch bonnet: 100,000-325,000

Jamaican hot pepper: 100,000-200,000

Cayenne pepper: 30,000-50,000

Jalapeno pepper: 2,500-8,000

Tabasco sauce: 2,500

Pimento: 100 to 500

Bell pepper: 0

MadsDad
29th Sep 2008, 22:19
Madsmum is using Capsaicin cream for pain relief for a nerve damage problem. She has to wear gloves to put it on and to wear covering over the area it is rubbed onto (to prevent possible contact with anyone else). It's for a trial for its effectiveness and I suppose if it doesn't work I can always use it to make a decent curry.

(And, wabbit, in addition to washing your hands before going for a pee make sure you wash them well before going to bed. Nearly cost a mate of mine his marriage - his wife wouldn't speak to him for weeks afdter he made a curry).

Foss
29th Sep 2008, 22:22
RT
Think there was a thread on here a while back on the merits of chilli sauces and whatnot, Insanity Sauce and that kind of thing.

TURIN
29th Sep 2008, 22:26
That would be THIS ONE. (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/12745-hot-sauce.html)

Foss
29th Sep 2008, 23:25
Jeepers SIX years ago.

Whiskey Oscar Golf
30th Sep 2008, 01:10
I'm growing the Dorset Naga and the Bin Jolokia which are both in the million plus realm in scoville units and the while I haven't caused the unfortunate passing of anyone, they come in pretty handy with people who say things like " I can eat any chilli". You give them one and keep the milk handy while watching their faces turn a range of colours. I got hold of them for the people who said my habanero mango sauces were not hot enough. They don't say that anymore.

Jimmy Macintosh
30th Sep 2008, 01:34
Hmmm, I wonder if anyone here can help...
A guy I work with came from Vietnam about 30 years ago and his family bought a chili plant with them. People say that they're hot, I don't eat chilis so have to bow to their description. But I can't find out what thay are.

Apparently the direct translation of the name is "Fingers from Heaven" the bush grows to about 7 foot tall, they are red about 1-1.5 inches long and quarter inch wide. I want to know where they sit in the scoville scale.

tinpis
30th Sep 2008, 03:18
If Vietcong or Thai most likely birds eye

http://www.greenharvest.com.au/images/Seeds/Chilli_Birds_Eye.jpg

ampan
30th Sep 2008, 05:22
They say that the small ones pack the biggest punch.

But if this unfortunate man died of a heart attack, it could not have been caused by chilli, in my inexpert opinion. The road from the digestive tract to the heart is long and winding.

Track Coastal
30th Sep 2008, 05:49
If you use them to cook wash your hands before going for a pee!
Was cutting some Habenero the other day to make a sauce and I popped Uswain Bolt's speed over 20m I reckon after grabbing some equipment sans washing hands in the small office.:eek:

I have a new plant that is a Birds Eye from New Guinea and is only the size of two match heads but deadly and lodged between the normal BE and the Hab. Have no idea as to its species (??).

BlueWolf
30th Sep 2008, 09:59
Chilli can affect the entire digestive system, having a stimulating effect on the gall bladder, pancreas, spleen, and liver. The fact that he was itching all over may indicate a toxic liver condition, which could itself have been a severe or allergic reaction....and once your liver shuts down, you're essentially stuffed. Poor bugger. It may be a coincidence, but it's entirely possible.