PDA

View Full Version : Blank screen in DOS

Hamrah
8th May 2000, 04:26
Here's one.

Whenever I open a DOS windown in WIN 98 or restart in MSDOS mode, my screen goes blank.

I suspect it's a video mode/card problem. Possibly either an entry in the config.sys file or a CMOS setting.

Any ideas??

H

40degrees
8th May 2000, 04:46
Hamrah

If you can see the BIOS loading then your video card shouldn't be causing any problems in DOS mode, as they work on same resolution.

I guess something with DOSS is wrong - but then how could win98 work with faulty DOS??

..................walks away scratching head

all I can think is to go through config.sys, autoexec.bat and dosstart.bat and look for anything unusual and try setting CMOS to default, could also try re-installing win98

*install Linux* (yeah I know, it doesnt help....)

InFinRetirement
8th May 2000, 12:52
Sounds as if there is a file not opening somewhere. Suggest you try using your WIN98 Startup Disc. That will make sure the files are all there and should lead you to the A:\ prompt - which is DOS.

If that doesn't work, as 40deg says it appears WIN98 is working - so DOS must be working - it leaves a question mark on why the screen is going blank. So, try looking at your monitor settings. THEN, if that doesn't throw up something you might need to re-load the drivers for your graphics card.

Bout all I can think of H - at this stage anyway.

Air Brakes
8th May 2000, 18:36
Try the following

Go to the Start Menu.
Choose "Run"
Type "Command"

If this does not work, then I would suggest a visit to the Microsoft Knowledge Base, and look for "DOS Prompts" as the search criteria

40degrees
9th May 2000, 01:32
Hmm here are some more ideas;

Hold F8 while booting computer, should get a boot menu. Select the second option from the bottom (this should then drop straight into DOS without loading dosstart which may include some odd extra drivers).

If that fails try the same procedure taking the very last option, which loads DOS clean (without dos start etc..)

Otherwise, and as the very last resort, format a 3.5 disk and include system files. If you still cant access dos then the problem may be caused by the firmware

If that fails remove all cables from the computer, open window .......and examine the aerodynamic properties of your computer case.

spannersatcx
9th May 2000, 13:03
For W98 press ctrl key not F8 while booting.

mutt
9th May 2000, 15:00
Not much help to you Hamrah, but we had a similar problem in work with a WindowsNT machine, we get getting a message “operating system not found” during bootup, after two days of searching/changing/formatting etc….. we basically gave us and sent it to the shop.
Guess what, as soon as they plugged it in, the stupid thing worked and has worked since!!!!!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif