PDA

View Full Version : Crop Duster Crash

DH 200'
29th Sep 2008, 11:48
From the ABC
Police examine crop duster crash wreckage - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/29/2377374.htm?section=justin)

"Investigators are trying to work out why a crop duster crashed in south-east Queensland this afternoon, killing the male pilot.

Police are yet to formally identify the pilot but he is believed to be the owner of Rural Aviation in Toowoomba.

The burned wreckage of his plane remains in the paddock north of Warwick on the Darling Downs, where it came down just after 2:30pm AEST.

Emergency services workers say it appears the plane hit the ground and cartwheeled several times before bursting into flames, sparking a grassfire.
Toowoomba fire station officer Athol Knox says pesticide aboard the plane created further issues.

"[The pesticide] was also burning, which was creating a bit of a problem as it ... we weren't sure of the toxicity," he said.

Police investigators have arrived to examine the wreckage."

Yet another tragic loss for the aviation community. 2008 is not looking good for GA:( Condolences to those affected.

havachat
29th Sep 2008, 11:58
For those of you who may be worried about a friend.

The above mentioned is a very well respected and accomplished former GA, Ansett and Emirates pilot. He is one of the finest Pilots professionally and personally I have ever been blessed to know.

His initials are GJC.

Rest easy old mate, I’ll really miss ya.

sunny77
29th Sep 2008, 13:19
An oak has fallen.
He was a special guy, who walked the path less travelled. How many pilots can we say have reached such heights in their career and left it for what is greater?
He was a cut above the average joe pilot; he had ambition and the ability not only in flying but in management to achieve more than most. He achieved greatly.

As a friend he was sincere, faithful, generous and when required tough. We who knew him were blessed.

Farewell old mate.

Deepest condolences to the family. We'll support them as best we can. It's going to be a long road ahead.
:{

Jamair
29th Sep 2008, 16:23
A sad day and a great tragedy. A genuine and honest person and a highly accomplished aviator. To his family and his many, many friends, my sincere condolences.

cost neutral
29th Sep 2008, 18:21
I had the pleasure of doing some of this gentlemen's initial P.P.L. training. Out of over a hundred students I trained, he stood out as the most dedicated and definitely one of the most capable.
Its often stated, but here strode one of nature's true gentlemen. No matter where he went he was good company as well, whether G.A., Ansett or Emirates.
My heart goes out to his lovely family, may your grief be consoled by the fact that he was admired and respected both professionally and as a family man.

All the best mate,
Gone far too early.

Arctaurus
29th Sep 2008, 21:10
I had the pleasure of flying with this man during the Ansett years on the 767 and again in Emirates.

An outstanding pilot and a great guy.

For his family and friends, I can't imagine how you must feel right now.

What a terrible loss. :{

megle2
29th Sep 2008, 22:57
Terrible, terrible news.
Concur with all above.
I always feared the dangers associated with chasing his dream.

currawong
30th Sep 2008, 13:06
Their shoulders held the sky suspended

They stood as Earths foundations stay

What God abandoned, these defended

And saved the sum of things for pay

havachat
5th Oct 2008, 13:31
COCHRAN, Gregory James "Greg". Tragically killed on the 29th September, 2008, aged 38 years. Adored Husband of Toni. Passionate Father, dedicated and devoted to his Children Thomas, William and Phoebe. Dearly loved Son of Bernard and Paula (ex Sunnybank). Son-in-law of George and Lenette England. Loved Brother of Fiona, Tim and Damien. Relatives and Friends are respectfully invited to attend a Celebration of Greg's inspirational life to be held at St. Patrick's Catholic Cathedral, James Street, Toowoomba, commencing at 1.00p.m. Tuesday, 7th October, 2008. Service complete at the Cathedral. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Care Flight Queensland and the Hemophilia Foundation Australia, gift envelopes available at the cathedral.

Australia2
17th Oct 2008, 16:26
To the Cochran family,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, late as it may be.

I hope you can be strong.

Oz2