PDA

View Full Version : New PPRuNe upgrade

Rollingthunder
7th Jul 2001, 19:05
Like it, thanks. Seems a bit slower but I can put up with that. Good new features. :)

gas path
7th Jul 2001, 21:15
Blimey!!This is a major change and I just had to try it :cool:
really like the new features

Took a while to sort out how to lose the navbar though... but thats just a personal preference.

Spelling edit!!

[ 07 July 2001: Message edited by: gas path ]

BEagle
7th Jul 2001, 22:13
Sorry - hate the new look!

Zeke
7th Jul 2001, 23:08
Rollingthunder,

It may have been a little slower initially due to the new icons and other normally cached items downloading for the fist time.

I have found it much _faster_ searching than ever before, espically if you want to see what someone has posted recently

Z

Velvet
8th Jul 2001, 02:59
I click on home page at the bottom and it says page not found. Why do the URL's have to be changed as well - it's created a whom slew of problems.

Prince Of Darkness
8th Jul 2001, 04:11
Vel:

HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!

I can't get into Chat!!

The new window won't even allow me to type my name!!

What do I do??!!!

Regards,

PoD

[ 08 July 2001: Message edited by: Prince Of Darkness ]

Evo7
8th Jul 2001, 11:34
All in all pretty good, but it's a bit ugly on konqueror (Linux/KDE). HTML rendering seems to be a bit funny. Guess it's a browser problem, because IE on my wife's machine looks fine, but it always used to work on both. :(

PPRuNe Pop
8th Jul 2001, 13:31
I just tried Chat and it took a little longer than usual to open. But you must check your status bar to see that the chat download is complete before you come out. One 'item' took a while.

Hope that helps.

compressor stall
8th Jul 2001, 13:51
Logged in and out several times, but trying to load chat produces the following...

Hack attempt logged or corrupt member file found with extra fields [29 total for UserName compressor stall ] :mad:

Apart from that all else seems to be good - just take a bit of getting used to...

PPRuNe Dispatcher
8th Jul 2001, 14:15
This is an unfortunate side effect of the bulletin board upgrade. It will be fixed, but in the meantime you can log in to chat without using your password.

This does mean that there may be imposters on chat for a while :eek:

---PPRuNe Dispatcher

Velvet
8th Jul 2001, 14:42
Prince honey - and there I was with the straberries and clotted cream waiting for you to bring the Champers ;)

Just type Prince or PoD - though it would appear that this morning the chatroom login screen seems back to normal.

If you still have problems, try deleting all your history and temp files in your Internet folder

What I'm finding with the new format is that you can't check someone's post to see how they did a particular action, or which site they used for the pictures and animated or other icons - which is a bit of a bummer.

And JB not nearly so easy to read with UBB codes deactivated, especially if you wish to quote or emphasise something.

Some of the upgrade functions do seem a little irrelevant - however, I suspect we'll get used to them and ignore what we don't need.

Ed Winchester
9th Jul 2001, 05:02
I think the upgrade will be grand, once the initial slooooooooooooow loading has sorted itself out!

Velvet, if you want to see where a picture or symbol has come from, then right click on it and select Properties, the address will be displayed there.

Slasher
10th Jul 2001, 06:02
No sir I dont bloodey like it! Had to juggle and rehash cookie-handling and Adsubtract for an hour before I could get logged in. Old system was more user-friendley and I didnt need cookies (I hate the damn things!).

PPRuNe Towers
12th Jul 2001, 02:37
Sorry Slash,

Personally just a little too much eye candy for my tastes but the upgrade has things in that are very important to us for running the site.

Once it settles down and we do some performance testing we should get an idea of just how long we can stave off needing to move into the mega server league.

Danny and I spent a while yesterday monitoring the load on the server and it wasn't pretty. We're already using a multi processor server so the next step puts us into the hardware category of a really serious e-commerce or big corporation site. That's a one off cost- the horrifying numbers come with the backbone/bandwidth needed which gets paid monthly.

However, that's our problem not yours - just do us a favour though and get people to buy a badge :D :D :D

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
[email protected]