PDA

View Full Version : What do you wanna know?? Have your say!

gb_dc5
29th Sep 2008, 10:46
Im writing a eBook on becoming a pilot in australia aimed at younger adults and i want your opinion on what type of information you would like to see included in the book? Things you might have found hard to find info on when you started out? And things you wish you knew before you started flying? Anything really that can be helpful to people wanted to give the aviation industry a go!

Cheers everyone

psycho joe
29th Sep 2008, 10:51
To be a :mad: or a Norm; Or a Normal :mad:

That is the question.

PyroTek
29th Sep 2008, 10:57
Coming from a 17 year old SPL: (me)
- Though I have chosen my path (for now), it would be good to include a good description of each path to follow, pro's, cons, etc.
That includes, Going GA, or Going Instructing, Fast Tracking, Alteon Airliner Sim training :oh:.

- Possibly Timeframes - average timeframes
- Costs
- What the essentials are for getting a job in various pilot professions, and possible order of getting ratings/endos etc.
- How to keep it interesting, so as to not decide you dont like it after doing 100~ hours and getting bored of.. the flying.
- Recommendations of places to go on a fresh CPL possibly - for a first job
- Insurance
- How to tell a dodgy course from a good one?
- Possible fallbacks incase you lose your medical..
- Maybe even good (interesting) routes to take when hourbuilding, or just holidaying.
- Study techniques?
- What Endo's/Ratings for each sub-profession?
- What employers like?

I no doubt have more.. but, though I know much of that, I'm sure it would help people who don't want to search for an age.

Pyro:ok:

300Series
29th Sep 2008, 11:47
"And things you wish you knew before you started flying?"

To stay clear of Aviation full stop.

Mr. Hat
29th Sep 2008, 12:34
Maybe a graph showing average wages over the last 35 years vs average pilot wages.

Will give people a clear understanding of where they will end up as far as average wage is concerned in the future.

capt787
29th Sep 2008, 13:17
Tell them don't they dare to think about aviation unless they have $100,000 laying around their bank account :rolleyes:

Otherwise they will be paying the debt for 20 years (just like me :ugh:)

Ixixly
29th Sep 2008, 14:11
Well as an SPL myself i would have loved to have known the sorts of costs to expect to start with (Had an idea of course and did my research but third party information is generally the most reliable!!).

Some sort of flowchart type set out in an appendix to go with it, just outlining the various ways you can go in your training. like being able to skip PPL and go straight to CPL from your SPL and what the differences are. What to expect out of the various flight tests you'll face along the way.

A list of endorsement types you can get along the way, including various ratings and what the requirements are for them as well would be fantastic.

Different types of jobs within the industry, how to go about getting into them such as Instructing, Airlines, GA, Aerobatics flying, Test Piloting, RAAF, Crop Dusting etc...etc... and what sort of requirements there are for those professions whether they be written laws to conduct them or things that employers look for to allow you to do it for them.

I'll post here if i can think of any more but thats about it for now i suppose.

QFcaptain
29th Sep 2008, 15:15
An ex colleague of mine at QF was working on that exact idea.As far as I remember he was actually writing a book to be released on the shelves as well as an e-book for convenience purposes.He had been working on it over a 2 and a half year period back when I had last asked him about.I haven't been in touch with him personally for a while but he was aiming at a december release.
Personally I think that there is plenty of info out there which is very easily available for the average joe.Having said that, Flyer magazine(or one of them) had released a "how to become a Pilot in Australia, all you need to know" special issue in around june/july which is still available at your local news agency.Back to my colleague, he is a 737 skipper at QF so if you want a book coming from anyone then it would be from someone with that type of background.Knowing what he's been through to get where he is, I can confidently say that he knows wtf he's talking about.

QFskip