PDA

View Full Version : Breaking into the Asian market

SkyeWhore
29th Sep 2008, 08:02
Here's an idea that I'd like ya'll to critique.

I want to get into the Asian market. So far what I've found is that the easiest way to do this is to have a type rating and 500 hours on an Airbus or a Boeing. Unfortunately I don't have this. What I DO have is an FAA ATP and a CFI, about 6000 total, 3700 turbine and 400 SIC on a bizjet.

Like so many others I used flight instructing to start my career in the U.S. Wouldn't this work in Asia, too? My idea is to sign up to instruct at one of these new flight schools in the area and use that as my "in" to the industry as a whole.

Whaddya think?

Kind regards,

SkyeWhore

Jazbag
29th Sep 2008, 09:51
Please could specify which country you have in mind? Each country has its own set of rules regarding work permits etc.

No doubt with your experience any Chinese/Indian would definitely be taken in but then you have not mentioned which nationality you are..

You will have to be more specific if you want any meaningful answer..

All the best

JB

International Trader
29th Sep 2008, 14:36
There is no such thing as "breaking in to the Asian Market".
Foreigners are used to fill gaps until the nationals are up to standard and strength.This may be quite some time but, it doesn't mean that you would ever be considered as one of them or be placed in any drip feed system to get to bigger equipment.
If you were to take a job instructing, that's where you would stay while the batches of trainees keep coming through and go on to the bigger stuff.
There have even been stories of pilots having difficulties even getting out of places like China after they have discovered that they are locked into a dead end job.
If you had a Type Rating and experience, you could get a " contract" on that type . That's a contract only, not a permanent position, seniority, progression ,etc.
Even cast iron contracts don't mean anything to those companies who choose not to adhere to them, and there are plenty. Of course, you would be expected to stick to what is written in the contact and whatever the company chooses to believe is part of the contract even though it's not written in the contact.
Confused? These are some of the mysteries of the East.
Do yourself a favour and stay home or buy a Type Rating and ,go and experience the mysteries of the East for yourself .
Best of luck!

Left Wing
29th Sep 2008, 14:43
Do yourself a favour and stay home or buy a Type Rating and ,go and experience the mysteries of the East for yourself .....well said..agree 100%...

SkyeWhore
29th Sep 2008, 20:56
Sounds like the voice of hard-won experience here. This is good. Exactly what I need.

When I say "break into" I meant more along the lines of using an instructor job as a networking platform. Yes, the Internet is a great tool for job hunting but nothing beats actually being there on the ground chasing up leads and knocking on doors.

JB - I'm an American and I'm interested in both China and India. Whaddya think?

Left Wing
30th Sep 2008, 01:41
if you have 400 hr on biz jet try for bjets.com

knee how
30th Sep 2008, 03:11
I'm an American and I'm interested in both China and India. Whaddya think?

Have you ever been to those two countries? If not, then you're going to be in for a huge culture shock. I don't know about India, but many of the people I work with don't last more than 1 contract here; some go home even before they finish their first contract. With the hours you have, you should be able to get a gig instructing in most other flight schools around the world. China is not worth it. The bureaucracy is a nightmare with no signs of changing in the foreseeable future. There are rumors that an International flying academy is due to open in Bali soon. Malaysia is also probably a better option, but give China a miss, at least for another 20 years.

squarecrow
30th Sep 2008, 08:06
I agree with you Knee How. China is extremely aggravating when it comes to getting validated etc to work there. Certainly I would consider Malaysia as a possibility as well too. Either way if you havnt experienced the places might be worth a visit first, Ive seen alot do a runner from certain places well quick cos they thought it would be like back home.

typhoonpilot
30th Sep 2008, 13:26
Whaddya think?

Kind regards,

SkyeWhore

I think you need to change your user name before anyone will take you serious.

Typhoonpilot

SkyeWhore
3rd Oct 2008, 21:44
Typhoonpilot,

I don't need to be taken seriously by anyone without a sense of humor or the ability to form grammatically correct sentences. This apparently rules you out.

Lovingly,

SkyeWhore

moon_towers
4th Oct 2008, 01:42
Howdy,

Am working for 22 years in the Industry for domestic.

It's not common in the country I Live.coz like what the National flag implements in the past,they sent their cadet to the Academy in NZ then according the "aggreement" they using the expat fly for them for some periodic of times.or

When Lion air operate the MD's for the 1st time they lease wet the cockpit for Instruction for several years.or

The best of my knowledeges they "in" into the aviation by ministries,but Not for the commercial.

Hope it helps.

m_t