PDA

View Full Version : State of Industry?

DUXNUTZ
29th Sep 2008, 01:57
My fellow aviators,

Interested to hear any thoughts of the state of the industry here in Australia at the moment and feelings on what the next 6 - 12 months will hold.

As a person currently in the market for a new job, i can definitely say that recruitment at the top has slowed down.

Given delays in 787 (even 777 for VA) and the extremely fragile world economy its appears that if your not in a jet job or enjoying good terms where you are, you might be where your at now for longer than you might expect given the last year or so.

Mr. Hat
29th Sep 2008, 02:26
Sounds about right DUX. When it starts again its going to be a big one though.

xinhua2
29th Sep 2008, 03:42
Stateof the "Industry" is the same as it always has been, disjointed, no unity, ego driven, low pay, no job security, old capital equipment.

And no change is sight.

Capt Wally
29th Sep 2008, 04:59
'Dux' that's the $million question. Depends whom you ask. Ask us pilots as you have diplayed here & the few responses so far say it all. Ask a manager & you will no doubt get an entirely diff answer.
But for now it's holding it's own but only because of the tropps on the ground, not the 'stiff shirts' in their ivory towers who have little idea that a Co. is not the hardware but the personel.

CW

PLovett
29th Sep 2008, 05:26
I will be interested to see the govt's green paper on the aviation industry when they get around to publishing it.

I took the opportunity to download the issues paper DOTAS published and there was some interesting stuff on that and I actually decided to write a submission.

Took the view that if something is broken then instead of bleating to the converted I should try to have an input.

Dux, as a more direct response, yes things have slowed but I doubt for long because the Oz aviation industry is being driven by more than local factors. Despite the wailing and gnashing of teeth out of the US at the moment there appears to be little impact on the Asian market which has become the predominant driver in Oz and that includes their airlines.

Mr. Hat
29th Sep 2008, 08:11
QF VB JQ VA all need pilots. Some now some a bit later just depends on when.

Not sure if the regionals need any.

mattyj
30th Sep 2008, 04:43
oils down to $95 a barrel..is that good? It was going to be $200 by christmas. (Is there going to be christmas this year:{...shoeshine sir..shoeshine!)

HappyBandit
30th Sep 2008, 08:30
Mr Hat

Yep regionals need more pilots and will continue to need them for the next few years at least. Can't speak for all operators but Qlink are certainly expanding.