PDA

View Full Version : US Presidential Succession

seacue
28th Sep 2008, 14:40
As an "FYI", the line of succession to the US Presidency is as follows, should those higher in the list become unavailable.

President
Vice President
Speaker of the US House of Representatives
President pro tempore of the US Senate (thank you BenThere)
Various member of the Cabinet, based on "importance" of their position.
United States presidential line of succession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession)

So Mrs Pelosi is just after the VP in the line.

Mrs Pelosi's father, Thomas D'Allesandro Jr, and her brother, Thomas III, were both mayors of Baltimore, Maryland - where she was raised in big-city politics.

ZH875
28th Sep 2008, 15:05
Does it take nearly two years each to elect them if they are required?.

US Presidential elections :bored:, and people think F1 is boring.....

the_hawk
28th Sep 2008, 15:15
fits perfectly in http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/319546-really-really-boring-totally-pointless-snippets-information-thread-mk-xi.html

BenThere
28th Sep 2008, 15:37
Fourth in line is actually president pro tempore of the senate. The vice-president is the constitutional president of the senate ex officio, the only constitutional role of the VP other than successor in waiting.

The current president pro tempore is Robert Byrd, to whom we would turn to succeed the speaker of the house if necessary.

He would become the first known Ku Klux Klan member to hold the office should the unhappy event occur.

tony draper
28th Sep 2008, 17:08
Well over here we gave this Republican nonsense a try and found it wanting, and incidentally, a long time before you colonial hicks or those beret wearing bumpkins over the channel
Theoretically every British subject is in line to the throne.

galaxy flyer
28th Sep 2008, 17:22
Theoretically every British subject is in line to the throne.

Should make for some interesting times after a nuclear war!!

tony draper
28th Sep 2008, 17:33
Think I posted on this here once,one of they interesting snippets one stumbled across in one's wanderings,the list of peeps in line to the Throne, I remember being supprised at how high up the rank tables Undertakers were,I think they were above Magistrates, but then thats hardly supprising,yer rag and bone man stands higher in the public's estimation than yer Magistrates.
:rolleyes:

chornedsnorkack
28th Sep 2008, 18:39
What is the order of presidential succession after the electors have voted, but before the Congress has counted their votes?

BenThere
28th Sep 2008, 18:58
It remains unchanged until new electees have assumed their offices, when they also assume their constitutional order of succession.

Congress is seated Jan. 3, the president, Jan. 20.

ZH875
28th Sep 2008, 19:03
What is the order of presidential succession after the electors have voted, but before the Congress has counted their votes?

What is the number of votes for each candidate before 'adjustment' by the Bush family?:hmm:

con-pilot
28th Sep 2008, 19:07

I'm not sure I understand your question. However, taking your question at face value the answer is none. The current President in office remains until his predecessor assumes office the next year. That is just one reason why the election is held in November but the office does not change hands until January 20, at noon the next year after the election.

chornedsnorkack
28th Sep 2008, 21:13
The 20th amendment says that if "president-elect" dies before inauguration, vice-president elect is inaugurated on 20th of January as president.

There is a precedent for a presidential candidate dying after elections. Greeley in 1872. It was 29th November.

Greeley electors mostly cast their votes for several different candidates. Three, however, named the deceased as their choice.

When Congress counted the votes, they decided to treat votes for the dead as invalid.

So, what happens if a candidate dies after electors have voted but before Congress has counted the votes?

BlueWolf
28th Sep 2008, 21:22
So, if Obama gets elected, but then gets shot, and Biden takes over, but then has another brain attack, Pelosi gets the nod....will the people be happy about that, or not? Genuine question. I know only a very little of her politics and public standing.

BlooMoo
28th Sep 2008, 21:38
If all that happened that quickly then it would only be another few months anyway before the next set of candidates would begin campaigning - so what's the issue? If the circus doesn't come to town for a few months then the people are going to get bored? No. They can catch up on some DVDs and within a couple of wasted Blockbuster visits, bingo, it's presidential nomination season again!. What's there to complain about?

brickhistory
28th Sep 2008, 22:26
Pelosi gets the nod....will the people be happy about that, or not? Genuine question. I know only a very little of her politics and public standing.

Speaker Pelosi's political leanings are to the very far left.

She is, however, a very smart person and has moderated her votes when needed, but as she represents San Franciso/Marin County (I think it includes part of Marin), her bread and butter constintuency (sp?) is far to the left of most of America, Republican or Democrat and thus has to keep them happy ultimately.

No, the people would not be happy.

obgraham
28th Sep 2008, 22:36
Small bone to pick/clarify with the order of succession: cabinet members get the nod in the order of seniority of their cabinet post, not their individual length of service. I believe State and Treasury head the list.

con-pilot
29th Sep 2008, 00:00
Here you are.

1 Vice President and President of the Senate Dick Cheney
2 Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi
3 President pro tempore of the Senate Robert Byrd
4 Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
5 Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson
6 Secretary of Defense Robert Gates
7 Attorney General Michael Mukasey
8 Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne
9 Secretary of Agriculture Ed Schafer
Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez (non-natural)
Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao (non-natural)
10 Secretary of Health and Human Services Mike Leavitt
11 Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Steve Preston
12 Secretary of Transportation Mary Peters
13 Secretary of Energy Samuel Bodman
14 Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings
15 Secretary of Veterans Affairs James Peake
16 Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff