PDA

View Full Version : Yet more Insanity

tony draper
28th Sep 2008, 13:05
Picky pinched from another website along with the caption,I paid three quid for a tiny piece of smoked cod tother day,three bloody quid!! probably about 4oz.insanity is the word.:suspect:

Dumping nice large cod last trip because scientists say there's none in the sea so there's no quota for them !!! Madness or what !!! Just life aboard a whitefish trawler at the moment i'm affraid.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/DumpingCod.jpg

Krystal n chips
28th Sep 2008, 13:44
Was also "mentioned in passing" on the excellent prog "Trawlermen" Mr D....as was the case that they can seemingly land too much fish.....still, the authorities always know best.....:yuk:

Have to say, those guys get a big :ok: from me for the work they do and the conditions they do it in.

Lon More
28th Sep 2008, 14:03
Same thing happening in Netherlands. Most of the cod you buy here is line caught off Iceland

Farrell
28th Sep 2008, 15:26
Local fish market

3kg hammour fish - descaled, cleaned and filleted by the shore.

Price: 1 Rial - about 1.40 GBP

radeng
28th Sep 2008, 15:37
What do you expect from Brussels bureaucrats? The only reason they're not w***ers is that they haven't got the necessary co-ordination.

frostbite
28th Sep 2008, 15:46
Just think. In living memory we had a cosy deal for meat and dairy produce with NZ and OZ, we also had a 200 mile exclusion zone for foreign fishermen.

All given away based on a lying shirt-lifting PM.

BigEndBob
28th Sep 2008, 20:53
Quoted on radio 50% of fish thrown back dead because over quota to be landed, usually the fish are too big, small or 'bent' i suppose?

tinpis
29th Sep 2008, 06:47
It makes you want to spit chips by Cod !

Buster Hyman
29th Sep 2008, 07:50
What a codswallop! They've got to be codding?

(Can you do fish puns on a fishy thread?):confused:

acbus1
29th Sep 2008, 08:31
Oh dear, here come the fish puns yet again. Guaranteed, as soon as fish are mentioned. :(

I paid three quid for a tiny piece of smoked cod tother day,three bloody quid!! probably about 4oz.insanity is the word
The real question is, if the price was insane, why did you pay it?

Oil was $mega a barrel recently, until everyone decided that it'd be cheaper to use less. The price fell.

Supply and demand. Free market. Survival of the fittest. Darwin's'ss' theory of evolution applied to economics.

Try telling the now blatantly communist US and UK governments that at the moment. Banks must feel free to be as careless as they like. Survival of the fittest doesn't apply any more. The electorate will foot the bill, via "free, democratic society" compulsory taxes. Even if the bank goes under, the bosses who caused it all will still walk away with $millions, so why should they exert themselves when their future comfort will be paid for regardless?

Erm, what was the original question?

Flying_Frisbee
29th Sep 2008, 08:46
Just think. In living memory we had a cosy deal for meat and dairy produce with NZ and OZ, we also had a 200 mile exclusion zone for foreign fishermen.
All given away based on a lying shirt-lifting PM.

I think you'll find the UK had a 12 mile limit until the 200 mile limit was brought in by the EU in 1976.
THe UK almost went to war with Iceland over their attempts to keep foreign trawlers out of their waters. The UK didn't seem to have much respect for 200mile territorial limits back then.

Closer economic and politcal integration with the EU was accelerated by the Single European Act, signed by that well known shirt lifting PM, Margaret Thatcher.

gingernut
29th Sep 2008, 08:54
Took the kids to Newlyn Fish Festival this August.

They experienced the delights of local octopus stew, and fried frest pilchard butties, with a slice of lemon.

Better than ya'happy meal sh1te anyday.:ok:

Some of the cheaper cuts are the nicest (?and the healthiest).

Effluent Man
29th Sep 2008, 09:10
When I left school in 1968 my first job was in the office of a trawler company in Lowestoft.In those days about 120 boats operated on 10 day trips.Fish went to auction and if it failed to reach the minimum price the MAFF paid the company at that level.

The fish then went on railway wagons and was taken to Grimsby where a factory made it into fishmeal for animal feed or fertiliser.That was the main cause of overfishing and the stocks reduced dramatically over the following 15-20 years.

M.Mouse
29th Sep 2008, 09:36
signed by that well known shirt lifting PM, Margaret Thatcher.

I thought 'shirt lifting' was a derogatory slang term related to male homosexual behaviour.

angels
29th Sep 2008, 09:44
Mouse - It is.

I think you'll find Frisbee was endulging in a spot of irony....:ok:

Forkandles
29th Sep 2008, 09:46
Maybe she was a shirt lifter. She always stood up for a piss on spitting image...

spittingimage
29th Sep 2008, 13:31
Erm .. hang on a mo', FourCandles. I heard that !

Pi$$ed on many times I have been alas, but not, knowingly, by her !

SI

mephisto
7th Oct 2008, 22:32
Around the time of the second Cod War in 1972 I remember seeing an Osbert Lancaster cartoon. The snobbish Maudie Littlehampton and husband were walking past a newsvendor's placard which proclaimed something along the lines of 'Cod War Escalates'. The caption indicating Maudie's response to her husband was simply "Let them eat Hake"

Flap 5
8th Oct 2008, 08:56
3 squid for a piece of cod does seem a poor exchange. It does depend how much the squid were though.

cockney steve
8th Oct 2008, 21:45
LAZY BUGGERS!!!!!!
Go to Tesco...Freezers, Fish, "Value White fish"...look on the back of the bag...."Skinless, boneless Alaskan POLLOCK in a water glaze"

800 grams net is about Ł2.00 :)...tells you how to bake, poach and microwave, as well. BUT as we all know, fried in crispy batter is the proper job....so, nip to the baking section and get a bag of "value" self-raising flour for under 50P..... back home , warm the fryer to about 170*C
pull out the fillets you want to cook, shove them in a tray/pan of lukewarm water. meanwhile, mix flour and water to a thin cream (1 cupful of water makes enough batter for about 4 fillets) it should run off your finger without stringing/lumps and you should be able to just see your skin when it stops dripping .

Frain your fillets, blot with a bit of kitchen towel (optionally, dust with flour) dip in the batterand COMPLETELY coatlower to surface of hot oil and "stroke" onto the oil DO NOT DROP IT STRAIGHT IN.

cook till golden..lift, drain, apply salt/vinegar to taste and enjoy DELICIOUS, CHEAP ,NUTRITIOUS fish 50 p opposed toŁ4..your choice! there's enough left to get a bottle of plonk to wash it down as well :D
Yep. I used to own a chippy :} now i'm hungry!

Saintsman
8th Oct 2008, 21:54
there's enough left to get a bottle of plonk to wash it down as well

Value plonk I suppose?

G-CPTN
8th Oct 2008, 22:02
Probably better than medics' punch (surgical spirit and fruit juice).

cockney steve
8th Oct 2008, 22:03
saintsman....the "value" is in the product....not the bullcrap marketing hype or fancy packaging.

maybe they DO sell a" Value" wine-I haven't tried to find out, but I do know about good food and the power of marketing to add enormous margins....just thought Mr. draper would enjoy saving an 800% uplift:rolleyes:

Oh, -Pollack looks like Cod (large flakes) and taste/texture is very similar....It's a sustainable alternative, so you can be smug on 2 counts!

tony draper
8th Oct 2008, 22:05
One was given to understand that Cockneys fishwise ate only eels cooked in some revolting sort of jelly Mr Steve.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
8th Oct 2008, 23:15
I read that pollock is also referred to as coley. It appeared in local chippies some years ago, but wasn't favoured as it tended to have grey flesh IIRC.

Having reread about pollock it seems that it is the Atlantic pollock that has grey flesh, whereas the Alaskan pollock has white flesh.

cockney steve
9th Oct 2008, 15:29
One was given to understand that Cockneys fishwise ate only eels cooked in some revolting sort of jelly Mr Steve.
As eny fule kno, ALL people born south of Watford Gap is a Cockney.

........ My back's broad, I'll live with it!

my father used to eat that revolting stuff....IIRC, after tipping 'em out of the newspaper into a sink of salted water, you had to chase the buggers round, catch, decapitate and slice whilst they continued to wriggle
then you boiled 'em up and the jelly was the result of the boiling :yuk:
He also had a prediliction for brawn....odd eating habits ,but he really was a Londoner.
Used to get fresh Dabs and Flounders as well, in the Old Town at Leigh. I was taught by one of the retired Cocklers, how to trim and clean them....that was back in the 60's when shrimps were starting to reappear as the Thames waters became less polluted.

G-cptn...It goes white when you cook it :)

onetrack
9th Oct 2008, 15:39
Errrrrkkk! .. I realised that the financial system woes were devaluing some currencies, but I wasn't aware that the UKŁ was in such dire straits!! .. I suppose it's costing you a coupla quid for a bottle of milk, now, too, is it?? Good God, man .. Zimbabwe must be starting to look like a stable economic zone, it must be time you started thinking about moving there!! .. :E

Storminnorm
9th Oct 2008, 15:40
Dunnow what all the whingin is about concerning
Jellied Eels.
I'm from Oop North, but I LOVE "em!
Can't think of any thing to beat 'em after a couple
of pints! ( Except Black Puddings!). :D

PS onetrack, best of luck in Zimbabwe!!!!!

tony draper
9th Oct 2008, 15:48
When I were a lad they used to sell soused herring around the streets from a horse and cart,the chap used to shout out summat that sounded like CALAHARN ! CALAHARN !,and very nice they was to.

Rossian
9th Oct 2008, 15:57
TD - I think you'll find the cry was "caller herrins". No doubt someone will prove me wrong.
The Ancient Mariner

Storminnorm
9th Oct 2008, 16:11
A big store in A"dam used to sell Haring Salade.
A lovely salad with fillets of raw herring. Delicious!!!

tony draper
9th Oct 2008, 16:14
Indeed the call probably started out as "Calling Herring" but over the centuries evolved into "Calaharn",just as the sellers of the Evening Chronicle on the streets of Newcastle,shout out HONIC! HONIC! prolly started out as "Chronical" morphed into "honical" and ended up as "Honic"
The Ice Cream man wth his horse and cart never changed though,because he had a whistle.
Tiz the nature of things,we all knew what they meant anyway.