PDA

View Full Version : RNLI

CathayBrat
28th Sep 2008, 11:30
Right Chaps and Chappeses (have to be PC these days)
Because the Looneys are now running the madhouse, and they come up with things like this
Radio charges may force lifeboat stations to close - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3089310/Radio-charges-may-force-lifeboat-stations-to-close.html)

This lot need your support
The RNLI is the charity that saves lives at sea (http://www.rnli.org.uk/)
Unsung heros IMHO, why does the fuc:mad:ng Govt need to interfere?

radeng
28th Sep 2008, 11:44
Being professionally involved in the radio business, my opinion is that Prof Cave's whole approach is a disaster. So is Ofcom. How you justify payiong over £500k a year for its chief is beyond me...

But it is a way for Gordon to get in yet another stealth tax, and to quietly effectively cut the MoD budget.

Krystal n chips
28th Sep 2008, 12:28
Oh look, there's that wonderful term "market forces" in the middle of all that...now who would have thought it eh ? :yuk:

I have never understood why such an invaluable resource as the RNLI has been never been funded and run by HM Gov't directly over the years of it's existence. I freely admit I do give to them for the simple reason I wouldn't go anywhere near the sea in the conditions these people do.....f$%k the so called "celeb / footie sewage" who demand "respect"....these people deserve the term in the fullest sense of the word.

Personally, I would invite said Prof and some of the equally vacuous :mad: from Ofcom to spend a little time at sea.....in a Force 8 gale ( and clean their own vomit up afterwards of course:E ) in order to get a "deeper understanding of the subject"...as they say in all the best management bolleaux yukspeak....and take a few MP's and civil serpents along as well...preferably those who feel sick merely strolling across Westminster Bridge for another "hard day at the office"....and who are involved in this debacle.

The other problem is how it will impact on the MRT's across the UK...again, same criteria applies.

I do note the end comment about "this is a consultation".....now where have I heard this before to describe the already decided issue ?

old,not bold
28th Sep 2008, 13:09
I have never understood why such an invaluable resource as the RNLI has been never been funded and run by HM Gov't directly

It's because if politicians and cvil servants got their sweaty little paws on the RNLI they would destroy it totally within 5 years. An army of time-serving and time-wasting bureaucrats would crawl all over it, demanding more and more tax-payers money to pay for more and more idiots to administer less and less. The bravery of the volunteer crews would be smothered by stupid rules set by brain-dead bureaucrats who know nothing of the sea. The volunteer crews would disappear; who would place themselves under such a regime voluntarily?

I would urge all who have an interest in the sea to support the RNLI with contributions, preferably regular, so that they can budget sensibly.

Whether you do so out of admiration, a belief that something so good MUST be kept out of Government and civil servants' hands, because you have been helped at some point, or just as a form of insurance in case you need that help in the future, or some or all of the above, is immaterial. They just need a continuing flow of money to survive so that others survive.

Afterthought:

If anyone doubts the mindless stupidity that now permeates all Government thinking, I'm reproducing the relevant para from the cutting linked in the first post:

Ofcom has set out plans to bring "market forces" into maritime and civil aviation communications, in a policy it calls Administered Incentive Pricing or AIP. The regulator has issued a consultation paper and is seeking responses by the end of next month.

Says it all, really. What a sad piece of evidence that civil servants have so little understanding of the real world as to believe that "market forces" - of which they know nothing - can have any relevance to maritime and civil aviation communications and frequency allocation.

The Flying Pram
28th Sep 2008, 14:22
Yet more insanity from this corrupt, clapped out "Government". Of course if the same "market forces" logic were to be applied to mobile phones I wonder if the (likely) outcome would be any different?

radeng
28th Sep 2008, 15:48
The same 'market forces principle' is applied to mobile phones. The Treasury did very nicely thankyou - from memory about £20billion. Ofcom has been set up with with Labour Party cronies at the top, and a marvellous bonus system. The senior managers got bonuses, the workers didn't. So if the workers didn't deserve a bonus, how come the senior management did?

On moving people over from the old Radiocommunications Agency, they hammered the T&Cs and the pensions....

Plus the number of technical staff has been reduced almost to the point of not having technical ability, and the international representation has been chopped. There are still a very few good technical people there, but not the 'luvvie' lawyers and economists who are running things. Ten years ago, the UK was a highly respected leader in international radio regulation. No longer. The lead is taken by the French, Germans and Dutch, and it's not always very good for UK interests.

dazdaz
28th Sep 2008, 16:29
Just a thought, I wonder when (must be on the back boiler) HM Gov decides that users of wireless pc's/lap tops should pay a licence fee for access to the radio spectrum.

:ooh::ooh:

Windy Militant
28th Sep 2008, 17:26
Nothing new under the sun radiolicence.org.uk (http://www.radiolicence.org.uk/)

I hope that someone sees sense and grants the RNLI an exemption.

Loose rivets
28th Sep 2008, 19:21
Anyone that grew up in Frinton or Walton on Naze, will be related to, have been to school with, or know well, a past or present life-boat crew member. Hearing the maroons and seeing the men cycling -- or even running up while donning their gear -- the length of the second longest pier in the UK, was a regular sight.

They had to row the tender to an (until recently) unshielded lifeboat, mored some distance from the end. It wasn't easy to do on a nice day, but on a freezing night, with massive waves, I could never imagine how they boarded the vessel, let alone navigated round all the sandbanks that are round the Essex coast.

The tradition in the town has been one of solid devotion for generations, and some of the family names are the same now as a hundred yeas ago.

One of these names, was ordered, along with others, to take a medical. They'd managed all this time based on their bravery and performance, but now someone had decided to interfere. The man refused, and the lifeboat lost one of its longest serving coxswains. It also broke the chain of that family's uninterrupted service.

It seems then, that that was just the beginning, the bureaucracy was going to be king, and no doubt soak up a fat proportion of the funds. For a lot of organizations, that seems the norm...but the RNLI !! Some people just have no shame.

Having said all this, so many call-outs these days are to modern sailing enthusiasts. The 20 to 40 foot sailing bracket. It's my opinion, that these people need to pay, as part of their running costs, a greater proportion of the local donations. Having said that, many of them do of course, but many of them don't. They run a 40 footer on a shoe string, then sweat on the marina fees and have little to fund donations. Sadly, this bracket of often unskilled sailors is is a major burden to the service. This should change.

Frankly I was stunned to hear the post's figures. I had no idea that anyone would leech such funds from a vital service. I just wish some of the people that make such rules would find themselves at sea on a dark and stormy night, with their boat slowly sinking, and then find that they couldn't be reached because no one could afford to talk on the radio.

G-CPTN
28th Sep 2008, 19:36
As a young boy I used to spend holidays at Runswick Bay and, as suggested, when the maroons went off the whole village turned out to 'support' the lifeboatmen as they struggled to drag the boat over the rock bar far enough out (against the breakers) to float it off the trolley.
And of course it was usually blowing a gale . . .

And waiting for the boat to return, hoping that they had saved the lives of the 'souls' in peril.

Later the Royal Engineers (lead by the Duke of Kent) came and blew up the rocks to create a way for the lifeboat.

At 4 a.m. on 1st July, 1978, the people of Runswick Bay stood on the beach to watch their lifeboat put to sea for the last time. After 112 years’ service to fishermen, sailors and holidaymakers, an era had come to an end.
The first lifeboat, The Sheffield, had come to Runswick in 1866 and was manned by a crew who had to be able to row for miles in stormy sea. The launching of the boat was a feat in itself: the children placed lanterns on the beach to mark the way then the boat was pushed on rollers to the sea edge by anyone available to help.
Perhaps the most famous rescue occurred in 1901. The men had done out to fish in calm weather but a gale blew up. The lifeboat was needed but the crew and most of the launchers were at sea, so in spite of the harsh weather and strength required, the women and old men of the village launched the boat and stood by until the cobles were safely in.

lexxity
28th Sep 2008, 21:41
Caroline Lucas, a Green Party MEP who has launched a campaign to win 100 per cent discounts for charities, said: "It's almost unbelievable that a vital emergency service like the RNLI receives no government funding at all.
"We should be doing all we can to support the lifeboat crews, and taking this new expense off their shoulders is a small gesture that could be a great help."

Possibly the first and last time I will ever agree with a Green Party MP.

I always give to the RNLI, but can I suggest that the volunteers at South Queensferry shop may want to not shout at their customers for playing with toys they are buying, nor tell them to be careful when putting money into the collection box.

Did anyone else watch David Suchet on "who do you think you are" a couple of weeks ago? I'll try and find it on i player for those who missed it.

C-dog
28th Sep 2008, 23:05
Quote:

Ofcom has set out plans to bring "market forces" into maritime and civil aviation communications, in a policy it calls Administered Incentive Pricing or AIP. The regulator has issued a consultation paper and is seeking responses by the end of next month.

Market forces?? Where's the choice of service provider to create these market forces? Currently it's a monopoly.

dwshimoda
29th Sep 2008, 00:05
And if all the above reasons aren't enough to make you give to the RNLI, as a member you can stay at the RNLI College in Poole for less than the price of a Travelodge. Great place to stay, Poole is a lovely place to have a drink, hearty breakfast, and you're also helping a great cause! :ok:

DW.

TBirdFrank
29th Sep 2008, 00:08
Give the silly civil serpents a kicking here

Applying spectrum pricing to the Maritime and Aeronautical sectors | Ofcom (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/aip/)

gingernut
29th Sep 2008, 09:42
The only experience I have of the RNLI, is what I see on my frequent trips to the surfing spots of North Cornwall and Devon.

What I see, are a bunch of dedicated, professional, sometimes brave individuals, who have to put up with everything from lost kids on busy seaside beaches, to rescuing fat middle aged surfers who should know better (!), to dealing with serious incidents in a storm I wouldn't even watch from Jamie Olivers new bistro.

I've never been sure about the bigger picture, funding etc. I guess you could argue against them being a special case. But would I feel safe letting my kids explore an environment that doesn't always support life that well, without them.....probably not.

Here's the guys at Watergate a couple of years ago..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/DSCN1667.jpg

Course, it does have some advantages. View from near the RNLI "office" Porth Beach, Newquay.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/gingernut123/DSCN1973.jpg

Loose rivets
29th Sep 2008, 19:05
I wish to protest! Protest on behalf of...

fat middle aged surfers who should know better (!),

I believe we have the right to do some uncontrolled floundering from time to time. :}

Well, middle aged if one expects to reach 139 :(

henry crun
29th Sep 2008, 23:19
That's no good Rivets, if it is uncontrolled there will be a shortage of flounders before many years are out, and what am I going to have with my chips then ?

Loose rivets
30th Sep 2008, 05:16
Something wearing a Cod piece?

Lon More
30th Sep 2008, 11:08
Any donations gratefully received here (http://www.rnli.org.uk/how_to_support_us/give_money/give_money)