PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Outlook Express please

Biggles Flies Undone
1st Aug 2000, 12:48
I hate bloody Outlook Express, but I’m stuck with it at work http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

I have set up a personal distribution list for info releases which always goes out as a ‘BCC’ (so that no recipient knows who else is on the list). I would like to print off a hard copy for reference and also copy the list into another PC as a back up – but, other than copying /pasting the members one by one (there are hundreds!), I can’t find a way to do it.

Any ideas?

InFinRetirement
1st Aug 2000, 14:18
Hi Biggs.

You can of course copy SENT items but that a grind. Best way I have found to use Seagate backup via Start / Accessories / System tools / then Back Up. Make a new job and select Outlook Express from the 'C' Drive (?)
Name the file and thats it.

You can also do a floppy or other from Windows Explorer, again by selecting OE.

Only way I know, do it all the time, and its fine.

Someone else might have better idea, so I'll watch too.

Biggles Flies Undone
2nd Aug 2000, 19:04
Thanks for your input infin, but alas no luck......

Because there are lots of non-nerd people on the network the systools and and access to OE have been disabled.

I know I can get our tecchies to do it for me but, as the listing changes almost daily, I'd rather be able to do it myself.

Any other ideas out there?

Feline
5th Aug 2000, 18:49
BFU - Why bother with a distribution list at all? Just keep all your names and addresses as a text file (in the form"John Doe" <[email protected]> ), with a comma after each entry. Then everytime you want to send out a "broadcast", just cut and paste the list into the Bcc field in Outlook. That makes it easy to maintain (simply use your word processor or text editor), easy to transport to another system, and also, it's unlikely that any pesky virus will identify and use it to proliferate any virus. And you can use it in any mail package you like. Works for me! I regularly use this technique to mail up to a thousand people. One word of advice: Make sure there is a recipient in the "To:" field (can be a dummy address like [email protected]). Reason for this is that some mail systems are set up to detect spam mail, and will reject any message to "Recipients Suppressed" which is what happens if you only mail to a list on "Bcc"

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

[This message has been edited by Feline (edited 05 August 2000).]

Biggles Flies Undone
7th Aug 2000, 14:14
Thanks for that Feline - best idea yet!

I'm trying to keep it simple so that others can use it whenever I'm away - but if that is the only solution, the others here are going to have to brush up their PC skills before I take my next holiday! :)

Bear Cub
7th Aug 2000, 19:39
Holiday? How dare you?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

Biggles Flies Undone
7th Aug 2000, 19:52
Yeah - holiday.

Doing my bit to keep the IT crews in employment ;)