View Full Version : Strange events when booting up

GoneWest
24th Aug 2001, 16:17
Windows Millenium:

Following some minor surgery on my computer, every time I boot it up (which is rare - it stays on 24/7) I get a black screen, with white writing, giving me the option to enter normal mode, safe mode...and two other modes that I can't remember.

This screen has a 30 second countdown before switching into normal mode unless I press any one of the four options.

Now that the surgery is complete, I'd like the machine to revert to the good old days of just getting on with booting up.

Any ideas how to persuade my computer to do so? :rolleyes:

BOAC
24th Aug 2001, 20:11
Control panel/tweakui/boot and untick 'always show boot menu' etc

If that doesn't work, I don't know!

Semper paratus
24th Aug 2001, 20:33
Would probably work if you have installed TweakUI. Highly recommended tweaking tool. Should be easy to find by doing a search on TweakUI.

I have never used WinME so this might not apply but FWIW:

Edit msdos.sys which you wil find at the root of c:\ It's normally tagged hidden and read-only so you would have to change this before editing. Under "Options" enter BootDelay=# where # is the number of seconds delay (can be set to 0).

This was from memory and it was at least 2 years ago since I last used Win95/98 so use my advice at your own risk.

Good luck!

RW-1
24th Aug 2001, 23:46
While 24/7 is not an issue for the system, it is advisable that you do a shutdown every so often to clear out cache memory.

More important it is with smaller memory sizes, but a thought (not related to you issue).

Squiddley
27th Aug 2001, 07:18
Gone West

Don't know if this is "the" answer, but I found that selecting the option with a "bootlog.txt" seemed to do the trick. I guess this tells windows to tell itself that everything was hunkydory with a previous boot.