PDA

View Full Version : Undesireable Stowaway

DX Wombat
27th Sep 2008, 20:57
Ooer! (http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=9803033) Would you like custard with that too sir?

tony draper
27th Sep 2008, 21:33
I understand what wi this Global Warming thingy scorpions have already made their way into Southern parts such as Cornwall and Somerset, and not the harmless ones either.
:uhoh:
Was once walking to a beach in Venezuala wearing nowt but jeans an flipflops and feckin big black scorpion ran across me foot,I swear the bugger were six inches long.
Sod that for a game of soldiers, one hastened back to me ship curled up on me cabin floor wi me thumb in me gob.:uhoh:

goudie
27th Sep 2008, 21:50
Drapers, you makes I laff!

Howard Hughes
28th Sep 2008, 00:05
Geez it were only a scorpion...:rolleyes:

Whirlygig
28th Sep 2008, 00:12
I used to work for a pest control company and I was surprised at how many "stowaways" came into the country hiding in bananas! Usually the shop staff will spot 'em first before the customer, call out "Pests R Us" who have to identify the critter and notify the Authorities if necessary.

Some of the larger (and creepier crawlier) examples were brought back to the office as pets!!

Cheers

Whirls

Radar66
28th Sep 2008, 07:48
I used to work for a pest control company

ah haaa....... now THAT explains a lot... :E

A while back, a chum opened one of those bags of lettuce that you get in france and started eating them out of the bag before she found a beetle in it... Had to pile her with genipi 'to kill all the others that she might have eaten without realising...' :}

klubman
28th Sep 2008, 08:15
What's worse than finding a beetle in your salad?

Finding half a beetle!!:yuk:

green granite
28th Sep 2008, 09:04
Added protein :ok:

BladePilot
28th Sep 2008, 09:26
I remember back in the 70's whilst doing a stint at Her Majesties dockyard in Plymouth that there was a nest of Scorpions living in the dockyard wall! you could see them quite easily at night if you got close enough. :ooh:

barit1
28th Sep 2008, 14:55
Oh, you mean like the movie Arachnophobia? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099052/)

John Goodman played a mean exterminator who finally met his match! :eek:

MMEMatty
28th Sep 2008, 21:52
Isn't the general rule with scorpions that the bigger they are, the less harmful they are?

tony draper
28th Sep 2008, 22:09
Yer but that's a man made rule,the scorpions prolly never heard of it.:uhoh:

Foss
28th Sep 2008, 22:20
I'm not about about to get down on my hands and knees with a tape measure measure a maybe/maybe not poison thing, then google it.

Rollingthunder
28th Sep 2008, 22:43
Simple rules with scorpions:

Large claws = less venomous sting even down to bee sting ferosity.

Small claws = much more venomous sting. Watch out.

In the desert always shake out your boots before putting them on.

kiwi chick
29th Sep 2008, 00:54
Jaysus!!! :eek: Tis times like this I be glad of living in this little country!

I'm with Foss - I'd be running so bloody fast there'd be no time to work out whether it was "a big or small scorpio" - big or small compared to WHAT?!

tinpis
29th Sep 2008, 01:08
Still, even in kiwi yer wouldnt want a WETA crawlin' up yer grass skirt and clamping onto yer poi's

http://whyfiles.org/shorties/198grasshopper/images/weta1_sm.jpg

Whirlygig
29th Sep 2008, 19:45
ah haaa....... now THAT explains a lot..
Well yes, that's where I got my expertise in getting rid of pests. SO if anyone wants to know how to get rid of that rat, louse or weasel, just let me know! :}

Cheers

Whirls

FLCH
29th Sep 2008, 20:41
SO if anyone wants to know how to get rid of that rat, louse or weasel, just let me know!

Whrils,

Any chance you can buzz by Washington DC and do a quick job on all the rats, louses and weasels there in the Capitol ?? :)

Cheers FLCH.

Jimmy Macintosh
29th Sep 2008, 22:02
I was tidying my side yard this weekend, moving things around. I lifted up an old shoe and this spider ran straight at my foot, it managed to get over the flip flop and toes along my foot, it was up to my ankle before I reacted and kicked the thing to the wall. The body was about the size of an old 5p coin, the legs took it to about the size of a 50p.

Well, I grabbed my can of spider killer and squirted it. I was suspicious I recgonised it's breed. Sure enough, it rotated on it's thread...a brown widow. Bloody hate them.

Later that day I had filled up four trash cans, and placed them in front of the house. I was walking up to them in the early evening, and noticed a spiders web between two of them. Upon closer inspection there were hundreds of tiny spiders all over it. I guess one of the many egg sacs I had found that day had escaped the spraying and had hatched. Keep getting itchy thinking that some had got away and bitten my legs/feet.

Quite dangerous to garden in just flip flops and shorts.

merlinxx
30th Sep 2008, 05:59
Once had a Laker Hostee:E pop up on one of our acft, does that count?

Blacksheep
30th Sep 2008, 09:52
Me Mam were stung by a scorpion while she were expecting me.

Explains a lot.

Thank yer lucky stars there ain't no sneaky, dangerous critters in England. Not what I'd consider dangerous anyway - like man-eating tree trunks floating in the river or venomous piles of leaves. Then there was our sofa in Borneo. Who knows what lurked beneath that sofa...

angels
30th Sep 2008, 10:19
My dad forgot to shake his boots out once in Burma -- ping! And then in the monsoon a snake swam into his tent (yes it was that wet) and bit him where the sun don't shine.

Obviously, he survived both episodes.

I never had problems with critters when I lived in Singapore. We had some friendly 'chat chats' -- local lizards living above the bathroom ceiling and behind some bookshelves. Anything along the lines of cockroaches etc were instantly made a meal of.

kiwi chick
1st Oct 2008, 02:41
Gulp. :eek:

Yes, I guess Wetas are up there as well. My ex husband had one crawl up his leg while we were at the dinner table - his Mum had found it outside and thought it would be a good idea to put it in a jar to show us when we got home. Pity she didn't think about a LID for the jar.... :ugh:

arcniz
1st Oct 2008, 02:50
a LID for the jar....

KIWI:

One wonders if you have the MKII Polynesian sting yer legoff centipedes handy there as well?

kiwi chick
1st Oct 2008, 02:57
What for, to deal with my ex-husband?

I can only wish... :E