PDA

View Full Version : Jet Airways, Europe base

sleepypilot
27th Sep 2008, 09:07
'morning,
looking for info on conditions, rosters, quality of life as 777 DEC Brussels based.
thanks

fullforward
29th Sep 2008, 00:54
Did you actually got the job offer?
If so, take it!
Life is OK, as far as a friend told me.
The last word was that they were not contracting for the time being.
Tell us what's the deal.

sleepypilot
29th Sep 2008, 12:03
I was invited to Mumbay for the assessment, that was about 6 months ago.
Couldn't attend, they said to advise when and if ready to go.
Before going it would be nice to know something more on the life in JA.
I'll post updates

WS01
29th Sep 2008, 20:57
Hey everyone,
i was looking into this also, on the jet airways website under the job sections,
if i select the Belgium site it lists A340, B737-4/7/8/9 and ATR, under the US site it lists A330, 777, 737-4/78/9 and ATR, why is the list different? does that mean the 777 is not based in Brussels?

regarding taxes? what country income taxes do we pay? if based in US ? or in Brussels ? what about living in France or Germany and being based in Brussels, do we pay France or Germany taxes? (i have both EU and US citizenship)

once hired can we switch from US base to EU and vice versa ?

do you guys know what are they hiring for these days ? US/ EU / FO /CA, what a/c?
how long is the training in India?

how are the pay and general QOL / schedules (is it possible to commute like some other places in Asia (3-4 weeks on / 2 weeks off...)
or is this more of a "normal lifestyle"

what are the chances with 8000hrs E145, A320 type, 3500jet, 1600 jet pic ?

sorry, lots of questions,
Thanks

sleepypilot
30th Sep 2008, 13:25
"Watch out for income tax issues"
definitely worth investigating. I live in another EU country, guess it doesn't make any difference.

"Obviously, there are ways to get paid offshore"

no mention of this in their Conditions of Employment. Easy if done through an agency, don't know otherwise.

"The Crew Member is responsible for renewing his license, medicals and proficiency from the jurisdiction of the licensing authority of the crew member’s home country"

this is another hurdle, why isn't it done when they check you in the sim?
Or OPC/LPCs are not required?:-))

kk pilot
1st Oct 2008, 02:50
Any rough idea as to when the DEC recruitment might resume? Rumors welcome :)

captplaystation
1st Oct 2008, 09:54
Rishworth are advertising upcoming pay for rating 3 year contracts on 777. Previous contracts ( for Korean) were for 5 years, so anyone know if this could be for Jet.

The SSK
1st Oct 2008, 11:40
Not a pilot but a Belgian resident

Quality of life is good to great, some aspects eg healthcare, local schools and beer are outstanding.

Income tax is horrendous. From this morning's payslip I see that 47.6% of my gross made it to my bank account.

Edit - actually, what am I talking about? There is an expat tax regime here which is much less heavy. Doesn't come automatically, employer has to request it but I am sure it would apply in this case.

Rotorhead1026
1st Oct 2008, 12:08
For US residents:

I'm almost certain there's a tax treaty between the USA and Belgium / EU.
You can take a credit for Belgian taxes paid on your 1040 form 1116. Consult an accountant, though. There's a treaty with India, so there'd almost HAVE to be one with Belgium. There's also an income exclusion, but with limitations.

India issues a letter of authorization to expats (FATA). Seems to be accepted everywhere I've been (although 98% of my flying is India domestic). I think CAE has a simulator in Brussels, and I've seen ads at other sim centers for type training to DGCA requirements, so it SHOULDN'T be a big issue.

All just an opinion. Your mileage may vary ... ;)

Willie Everlearn
3rd Oct 2008, 13:27
(musings about contract flying)

If a Company 'expects' you to be Type Rated and Current going in, when you're contract ends, why wouldn't you expect that company, or at the very least, have in your contract, that Company releases you Type Rated and Current on your national licence that got you there in the first place. In other words, renew your JAA, FAA, TC, CASA, (whatever country-of-origin), IR/PPC when you leave?

Maybe that's what a bonus is for?

As for tax implications, why not ask your home country's taxman directly what you have to do to be compliant as an expat earning an income abroad. They will tell you precisely what they expect and you avoid losing lots and lots of bucks, unnecessarily.
The tax experts aren't exactly circling the Pprune Rumour tank. Are they?

fullforward
4th Oct 2008, 02:15
Jet is only recruiting for ATR.
No signs of when they will resume recruiting for other fleets, at least until first 2009 quarter.

Willie Everlearn
5th Oct 2008, 13:53
Jet Lite is recruiting.

B737NG
6th Oct 2008, 14:43
It is for AirIndia, the 3 Years what is offered from Rishworse. Problem is in that case the Management of Airindia is not that quick and liable and what is valid today can be erased tomorrow again. So have a carefull look into it before you make a move and get cought up somehow.

Who is in BRU for 9W? WB & GR still around there? it become a little silent about the two Guy's recently. Just curious what's the crack now....

Fly safe and land happy

NG

Birdy767
6th Oct 2008, 16:58
Unfortunately, if you r based in Belgium there is no way to escape the tax man.

People v been trying for years and the tax administration (called "Contributions") always catch you with: social security, tel bills, schools, social number, ID pass, housing, insurance, cars,...

Brussels is the capital of Europe and they love going through these investigations. Your taxes will be used to pay these trackers salaries!

You can always pretend you are not leaving in Belgium but that s another story and even Belgians citizen have been asked to pay 5 years "back" taxes after having spent all this time in Africa and even changed their addresses.

Just for infos: taxes in Belgium are about 50% !!!

Good luck anyway.

Birdy767
7th Oct 2008, 09:15
I can double check but I know that -very expensive tax adviser- in Brussels always says the same: "if you don t want to pay tax in Belgium , you need to change your address to another country". France could be a good solution as the rate is "only" 30 % and you need not more than 45 minutes by car from Brussels airport to the French boundary.

Birdy767
18th Oct 2008, 22:21
Sorry for the late reply. I think that if you play the game that you have a commuting roster, it should not make any difference. I haven't double check the exactitude of the TNT pay-slip calculation but that could also be applied to all contracts. check:

www.tntairways.com/files/documents/Career/Salary%20Package%20for%20B747.pdf

Having said that, being based in Brussels doesn't means that the company itself is based in Brussels. New branch of British Airways OS operates from France and Netherlands but the headquarter is in the UK. Employes based abroad don't have to pay their taxes in their respective country (France, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy, Germany) but in the UK if they want to.

You could pretend that Jet Airways is an Indian base company and Brussels is just a technical base. Then it is your business to either pay taxes in India or in the states.

Hope that can help.