PDA

View Full Version : Banned due to serving abroad

SpringHeeledJack
27th Sep 2008, 09:06
You couldn't make this up...... :ugh: :rolleyes:

Exclusive: RAF team training for war are kicked out of cup by Scottish Juniors chiefs - The Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2008/09/27/exclusive-scottish-junior-fa-kick-raf-team-out-of-cup-because-they-are-training-to-go-to-warzones-86908-20755594/)

SHJ

green granite
27th Sep 2008, 10:11
Time to ban football, they obviously don't appreciate what being free to play it means or entails. :mad::mad:

Al R
27th Sep 2008, 12:15
Isn't it staggering that some people forget what the game should really be all about? Just to be on the safe side, I forwarded that to The Sun newsdesk.

ShyTorque
27th Sep 2008, 13:24
The SJFA themselves have shown us how much they and their tournament are worth.

Nothing. :rolleyes:

labrador pup
27th Sep 2008, 16:32
"There is a clear precedent for this because the same thing happened to Cruden Bay a few seasons ago."

Where were they posted to or is that too secret for general knowledge? :)

Two's in
27th Sep 2008, 19:56
Not wishing to defend the actions of the SJFA, but isn't a prerequisite of a good football match to ensure that the other team shows up? Are we seriously suggesting the rest of the teams organize their matches around the Op Deployment schedule of the Lossiemouth team? They are not being banned because they are fighting for Queen and Country, they are being banned because they can't confirm whether or not they will turn up with any predictability.

There is an unpleasant media trend to take any non-event and wrap it up in a "Our Boys are being seen off" story. I'm not sure if the rag in question is trying to win favor with HM Forces or just generate news from a non-event. In this case, some fairly rational analysis would probably fail to reveal a sub-plot whereby Taliban undercover agents have pentrated the Scottish Junior FA in a dastardly plot to erode the morale of the RAF by banning them from the tournament, but you read it here first if it appears in the Record next week.

ShyTorque
27th Sep 2008, 22:11
Two's in
Below the Glidepath - not correcting

U.S.A? Yer banned!

cargosales
27th Sep 2008, 23:22
Sorry chaps, I can't agree with complaining about this one.

It's an 'occupational hazard' and a given that if and when you have to deploy, you will miss certain things. Like family birthdays, anniversaries and many other things much more important than football.

'Football' is about two teams turning up and playing against each other. And perhaps a few people watching. If one side can't manage that, for whatever reason then that is their problem.

It's not as if the whole team was going to be away :

"Corporal Miles Fish, the deputy officer in charge of the team, said: "Of the 14 players who make up my dream team, only four are available to play for the next month.
"If we had managed to get 11 players together, at least seven of them would not normally be playing in the team and would have been extremely weak players."

So, the team could have played, just not at anywhere near full strength, and hence could have avoided being banned next year.

It's unfortunate that they're banned from entering next year but if the rules and precedent of that league deem that to be the case then I'd say it's partly an occupational hazard and partly the attitude of not wishing to field an under-strength team against a superior one. Imagine if that had been the attitude 68 years ago?????

There are many, many instances of discrimination against service people which need to be jumped upon but I don't feel this is one of them.

CS

*dons tinfoil hat and retreats to await incoming*

TiffyFGR4
28th Sep 2008, 08:56
That is absolutely disgusting! Our lads & lasses get little time off at home & when they do, they just want to do things that makes them happy, enjoy, being with family & friends, having fun at whatever they choose to do. And do be kicked out of something they love doing in their own personal time is a ******* disgrase! (Pardon my English)

Our armed forces is one of the things, if not THE most things we have that make you proud to be British!!! They deserve the very best of respect from everyone, and I mean, EVERYONE! That includes those jumped up, over paid, ignorant, cluster ****, wankers that decided to kick them out!!!

Football is for over paid pussies anyway, our lads & lasses are a billion times better & more important than those pricks!!! (Again, pardon my English.....But then again, it's nowhere near as bad as kicking out someone of your silly, useless game just for serving their country, is it?)

FlapJackMuncher
28th Sep 2008, 09:04
I agree with 2's In. It's a competition that needs to have regular and pre-organised matches, something the RAF couldn't guarentee.
Though quite why the team have been banned from next years competition as well - that i don't understand.

Al R
28th Sep 2008, 09:54
I accept the arguement that it MIGHT be seen as another 'gosh, those poor military poppets' story, but it isn't quite like that.

Lossie is being banned outright, as a punishment, for having 10 blokes away when a fixture was tabled. It stated in advance that it could not play and they quite understand that they forfeit the game. That has never been disputed by anyone. But.. the punishment is being carried forward to next year when they will also be banned too, regardless of whether or not they might have a team available. We have legislation that protects part timers if they have to leave their fulltime employment in support of the MoD.. why can't the Scottish FA use a bit of common sense in a similar light?

Isn't that a bit harsh for having 10 out of 11 players deployed on Active Service? Finally, how do we react when we see a team like Man U putting out a third team for early cup ties? Dissapointed. Lossie had no choice - they paid the price for this years "tourney" ( wtf??? :yuk: ) but why should they be punished for next year, simply because they had to deploy on Active Service in this? Its time for the SFA to accept it was wrong.

L1A2 discharged
28th Sep 2008, 20:39
The competition rules had a precedent, not being able to field all your prima donnas (apostrophe police anyone?) is no reason not to let the second string have a run out, so you lose - its only a soccer game :{.

Perhaps all the military referees who enable games to take place in the wild and woolly fringes of the nation could suddenly become unavailable for all the cup fixtures covered by the SFA.

BEagle
29th Sep 2008, 06:51
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg
Perhaps the other porridge-wog footie players should be offered a lift to the Great Sandpit so that they can kick a ball about with the Lossie team?

TMJ
29th Sep 2008, 15:43
A similar fate befell the Lossie rugby team a few years ago*; couldn't fulfill a cup fixture due (amongst other things) to people being OOA (sqn on TELIC, another sqn on Flag and the Rock sqn on Herrick) so unable to enter the following year's cup. While we might prefer there to be specific leeway It's not an unusually harsh rule or specific to kevball. That said, the S(J?)FA seemed unusually jobsworth in insisting rules on roped off routes from the changing room to the pitch for the refs...

* The same season Lossie had to withdraw from the Scottish leagues for the same reasons, but were very hospitably welcomed at the Orkney 7s at the end of the season...

Zoom
29th Sep 2008, 21:00
Seems rather mean to me. Can't play? Give notice and forfeit the match, but you don't get dumped from subsequent competitions.

Bernie Ecclestone is obviously involved in this.

Wensleydale
30th Sep 2008, 19:04
I seem to remember from many years ago that the Daily Record used to have a football related competion in their (alleged) newspaper. It had a photograph of a football entering the goal during a Scottish match and you had to put an "X" where you thought the goalkeeper was...

Is this another attempt by the kilted ones to have yet another go at the English? Perhaps it is the only way that a Scottish side can win?

:rolleyes: