PDA

View Full Version : PPL Instructing

SPEED-DEMON
27th Sep 2008, 02:09
Guys/Ladies (Whirlygig:ok:) just starting out on my PPL quest. Only going onto my second lesson but hey!!
Anyway I hope to get whatever licenses are needed to fly for an airline. So I am thinking get the PPL done and then go as an instuctor on the PPL as a way to earn cash and build hours at the same time for free. Obviously I'll be working towards my next license on the side.

Can you guys shed any light as to whats involved to go as a PPL instructor and the costings too. What licenses will I need in addition to the PPL and so on. I expect the PPL will cost me about €10,000 by the time I'm done. As I work I'll chip away at it over a 12-18month period.
If anyone can suggest a cheaper school thats good quality too in Ireland let me know.

Also with regard to my eyesight, I have a bad astigmatism in my right eye, with glasses however I can see perfectly. Will this suffice in a class 1 med, or will I need lazer surgery done to go for a CPL at some stage.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Gary

Whirlygig
27th Sep 2008, 09:19
then go as an instuctor on the PPL as a way to earn cash and build hours at the same time for freeNO no no no no!!!! Currently, under the regime, you cannot earn any remuneration as an instructor on a PPL. Simple as.

There is talk of this being relaxed in the future but it isn't happening for quite a while. However, when it is, the route will be something like, complete commercial ground exams, build hours to 200 hours, take a pre-entry test (about CPL standard), complete FI course (minimum of 30 hours).

Of course, you can still do this, it's just that you won't get paid for it.

With respect to the eyesight, do not have laser surgery done without checking with the IAA whether they allow it. The UK CAA has only just relaxed its attitude towards it and even then, there are some stipulations. The CAA website has a list of the eyesight criteria that you must pass in order to get a Class 1 medical; the IAA website (http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=144&n=208) may have something similar. Take it to your optician and ask if you come within those limits.

However, I would recommend getting a Class 1 initial medical straight away; if you fail that for whatever reason, you can't be a commercial pilot and you could waste a lot of time and money.

Sorry for the doom and gloom - there's no easy route!

Cheers

Whirls

PS - we're not all guys!!!

SPEED-DEMON
27th Sep 2008, 16:49
Thanks for the honest reply :uhoh:.
Is there any way of hour building on the cheap without having to constantly rent aircraft at full going rates, once I obtain the PPL.

Also am considering the PTC in Waterford after I get the PPL assuming that my eyesight is ok. I hear they have a finance package to help even the poorest (by aviation training costs:p) get into a course and not pay back until you are placed with an airline or find work.

Any thoughts on this. Basically I have a tight budget and probably will have to borrow the best part and I am OK with doing so. Whatever it takes to get me piloting I am willing to do.:cool:

MIKECR
27th Sep 2008, 20:37
You could look into getting some glider towing or parachute dropping. Look at the British Gliding Assosciation and the British Parachute Assosciation websites for details of your local clubs.

Brian304
28th Sep 2008, 01:36
Maybe buy a share in an aircraft? to me I think that was quite a cheap option.

Brian304:hmm:

XXPLOD
28th Sep 2008, 07:57
I would agree with Brian. Visit flying clubs in your area. Most will have noticebaords or folders with club members selling planes or shares in planes. A look in the back of Pilot/Flyer etc... will give you an idea.

You should be able to buy a share in a respectable Piper/Cessna/similar for maybe £3-4K. Group payment structures vary, but you are likely to have a monthly payment, maybe £50-100 pcm, then the flying might come in at £50-60 per hour.

If you built 100 hours over 6 months and completely wrote off the capital outlay of say £4K, at £50 ph wet that works out at £9K plus monthy payments. Still less than the typical hire costs at usually well over £100 ph. If you got back say £2K on your share, you've probably saved a few grand.