PDA

View Full Version : Phil Croucher - JAR Professional Pilot Studies Book

Laroussi
26th Sep 2008, 22:58
Has anyone here used Phil Croucher's JAR Professional Pilot Studies Book. If so, can you comment on whether its a good buy and why.

Many thanks.

Whirlygig
26th Sep 2008, 23:55
Yes. And yes!

It means that when you've passed your exams, you can get rid of the huge manuals and just have everything you need in one volume!

Cheers

Whirls

Laroussi
27th Sep 2008, 09:17
Thanks Whirlygig :ok:,

I think I'll go for the one that's on Ebay. It's the previous edition, but apparently the only difference is the new one is larger in size.

ChrisLKKB
27th Sep 2008, 10:13
The chapters on HPL and POF are available FOC on Google books
JAR Private Pilot Studies: Ground ... - Google Book Search (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KY-MBUeQoZEC&pg=PT17&dq=phil+croucher+atpl+book&sig=ACfU3U0YoCNs8i-hxOKJ_P9Enr53yojEPQ#PPT124,M1)

AlphaMale
27th Sep 2008, 18:37
I have one, read through it now and again for some light reading in a hope that it'll make my ATPL revision go a little smoother.

Pilotage used one as seen here (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/340478-cats-cranfield-aviation-training-school-2.html#post4422867).

You'll also find that the author posts here too see here (http://www.pprune.org/members/24026-paco).

Good luck.

ariel
28th Sep 2008, 13:02
Does anybody know the ISBN of this book, or where to get it from?

I've tried searches on Transai, Ebay, and Amazon, but get no results.

Thanks

Sorry, disregard, just managed to find it!

Brian304
28th Sep 2008, 22:28
Would certainly reccommend it, great book...

I bought mine from transair quite a while ago, so i'm assuming that they still sell it over there.

Brian304:ok:

transfer jack
8th Oct 2008, 06:02
you clould also check the pilotsreference guide at www.pilotsreference.com (http://www.pilotsreference.com)
It is a condensation of many ATPL subjects in a single book.:hmm:

AIRWAY
8th Oct 2008, 11:07
Hello,

I am currently reading the said book and I recommend it! I like it for the simple fact that it's a short version of many ATPL subjects under one book. Fairly easy to carry, so I tend to use it to do some revision during work lunch breaks... :}

Trolle
8th Oct 2008, 12:26
I use the newest version of Phil's book. I wrote to Phil to ask him about the differences between the 2004 and 2008 versions. Here is his answer:

The 2004 one included helicopters, but it is now fixed wing. It has also gone into a larger page size. The absolute latest is on my website, Electrocution Technical Publishers - Books for computer and aviation professionals (http://www.electrocution.com). otherwise, the only difference is colour or B & W

The 2008 version is mainly fixed-wing, but there are references to helicopters now and then. The book is easy to read and provides a great overview of the material. My ATPL course material is excruciatingly detailed, which is great, but one can get lost in the detail. Phil's book is a great way to get an overview and then use the course material to dive in deeper.

I went for the color-version which is more expensive, but it is certainly better when looking at the graphics.

The book can be purchased at Electrocution (Pilot Training & Ground Studies - Electrocution's Aviation Books (http://www.electrocution.com/aviation/#JAR)). Go to the bottom of the page. A word about Electrocution. It is a site that allows author's to sell their publications but the books are printed once an order is placed. My book had some missing material, such as sentences that did match when the page was turned. I emailed Phil and he corrected the problem promptly. Great service from his part.

I have an extensive library of aviation books at home and I bought this one as I am converting my FAA certificates and needed a JAR perspective. This book meets those requirements and I don't expect the need to add more publications to my shelf. Definitely recommend it.

paco
12th Oct 2008, 19:34
Aw shucks, thanks for the comments, guys!

I thought I ought to mention that the older versions, while still valid, do not have all the recent changes in the question bank that have taken place. However, they are still a good overview. The absolute latest version will be posted in the next week or so, after some changes caused by the above mentioned questions.

Also, the colour one is only available from my web site above - if it went through the retail chain it would be prohibitively expensive and this is the only way I can keep the cost down.

In answer to the question, the ISBN is 0-9681928-2-3 and it is available through all bookstores via Gardners books.

I only have 2 of the older versions left - the one after the one that BALPA liked.

Phil

captain_rossco
12th Oct 2008, 21:05
Just bought it from amazon but they sent me the wrong book! cheeky people sent me the Private Pilot book, equally brilliant but not quite what I'm after!!

Greg2041
13th Oct 2008, 08:59
Paco your older edition of the book is great. I will probably invest in the latest colour one. It would be nice to see a few of the colour pages before purchase. Is this possible?
Cheers
Greg

paco
13th Oct 2008, 14:58
You can download some sample PDF pages from here - www.electrocution.com/docs/CAPTSample.pdf They are from the course notes for my helicopter course, but the same layout and stuff as the colour fixed wing book

Phil

Greg2041
13th Oct 2008, 16:22
Very good indeed.

1 last question. Do the questions in your book cover all the JAA CQB areas tested? In other words, does the one book contain all the info to pass the exams?

Cheers

Greg

paco
13th Oct 2008, 18:00
The book is based on my approved JAA Helicopter ATPL(H) course (in fact it is the course notes with POF and AGK changed for the dark side :)), so the answer would be yes. Any italic text has at least a tenuous connection with a question ;)

Newest version now available on the web site - now 558 A4 pages!

Phil

mumblinjim
15th Oct 2008, 09:26
This book is great, very convenient to carry around, although i did find that it didn't go into anything like enough detail on gen nav to be able to do the exam. The rest of the chapters contained a good amount of info and it's all straight to the point, it's good as a complementary study aid but not enough on it's own ;)

paco
15th Oct 2008, 09:53
Which version do you have, Jim?

Phil

mumblinjim
15th Oct 2008, 21:30
I looked at my copy, and to be honest I'm not sure which version i have. Inside the cover it says copyright 2005, i'm guessing it maybe the first version. Don't get me wrong, it's a great book, but i found it useful when used with other study aids and books. :ok:

paco
16th Oct 2008, 02:14
No, I was just curious - It's just that if you paid full price for it I have a discounted update policy - PM me for details

Phil

albanianpilot737
16th Oct 2008, 18:03
I ask all of you there, and i really need some help to figure it out which would the best out of all Phil Croucher JAR Professional Pilot Studio Guide.

There is One with the Front cover Blue color and i believe there is a Boeing 757 in front of it. this version i found on Pooleys Web site.

Than the second one is with a 747 front cover and it says Black and White addition... and this i found in Flightstore.com

I would really Appreciate if you can let me know what you think and if you know something regarding these two books.

paco
16th Oct 2008, 18:25
Hi there - the best one is always available from my web site - it takes time to filter down through the sales chain, and I try to keep the amendments as small as possible for this reason. Bear in mind that the pictures on web sites are not changed very often!

The main reason for the changes is that we have been amending the UK question database and this process has nearly finished so I have included the work that was done on them.

The latest edition is A4 sized with 558 pages and has the 747 on the front (looks like it's about to hit the terminal window!)

phil

albanianpilot737
16th Oct 2008, 21:45
Thanx for your help Capt, i will definitely buy that that version.
What is your web site anyway and i will probably purchase it soon.

I also saw at this web site : Pilot Training & Ground Studies - Electrocution's Aviation Books (http://www.electrocution.com/aviation/#JAR)

They have in black and White and in Colors.

Book £59.95 Colour Version £125

Does it really make a difference and is it worth paying double the money for just to have it with colors...

Thanks Again for your help

Laroussi
27th Nov 2008, 20:24
Hi All,

I finally got around to reading through the subjects I'm currently working on in this book. Excellent is all I need to say. Definitely worth the dosh. Its to the point and clear.

paco
28th Nov 2008, 05:22
Albanianpilot - that other web site is the publisher (i.e. me) - it's probably easiest to get the book directly from there

Glad u guys like it!

Phil

Miguel.
14th Dec 2008, 11:15
With the ISBN provided, the one on amazon directs me to this;

JAR Private Pilot Studies: Phil Croucher: Amazon.co.uk: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Private-Pilot-Studies-Phil-Croucher/dp/0968192823/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1229256753&sr=11-1)

Private Pilots Book??

Is this the correct one?

Also, what would be the quickest way of obtaining a copy of the book?

Many Thanks

paco
14th Dec 2008, 13:32
The ISBN should be 0-9681928-2-3

The quickest way is to pop into any of the main pilot shops, but it comes through the post within a week off my website

Phil

wannabe15
2nd Jan 2009, 01:50
Paco,

From your website, the cost of the book is 125 pounds. From Self Publishing - Lulu.com (http://www.lulu.com), the cost is US$278.82. Converting the pounds to US$ based on today's exchange rate, i don't think the US$ cost is correct? Perhaps you would like to clarify?

Thanks

paco
2nd Jan 2009, 14:24
Are you talking about the colour one? I had to adjust the prices because of the dollar but it's gone the other way again - It should now come up as $185

Phil

wannabe15
2nd Jan 2009, 18:24
Thanks Phil. Yes, i'm talking about the colour version.

You have just gain another customer!

cheers

paco
3rd Jan 2009, 06:33
Great! Let me know what you think!

Phil

Justiciar
6th Jan 2009, 09:26
I too have just ordered a colour copy :ok:

BlackWater01
28th Jan 2009, 13:17
i have the B&W in my flight bag and the Color version in my library!

very useful

Pitch+Power
23rd Feb 2009, 12:45
I am (hopefully) coming to the end of my ATPL's - and I have found this to be a great book.. very concise and can cut through a lot of the excess material.

Thank You Mr Croucher :ok:

paco
23rd Feb 2009, 18:51
Aw shucks - I just hope your path was easier than mine!

Phil

tfo
27th Jul 2009, 14:43
I too am studying for the JAA exams and after reading this thread would like to know if the black and white version is going to be as good as the color one for studying?

TFO

paco
27th Jul 2009, 17:26
There may be the odd picture where the difference in colours is not apparent, but the B & W should be fine otherwise.

Phil

tfo
27th Jul 2009, 19:54
Thank you Phil.
Which company do you recommend purchasing it from in the U.S.A.?
Purchasing it from outside the U.S. will add extra fees because of the different currency (and such) on my credit card.

Thanks again.

TFO.

paco
28th Jul 2009, 03:39
Our normal distributor is Helicopters Only in MA, but i know he doesn't stock that particular one.

You can get it from my website and it will be printed and delivered in the US, but if that's a problem, you should be able to get it in US funds by going direct to one of our printers at Self Publishing - Lulu.com (http://www.lulu.com) and doing a search for it. Or you can send a cheque in US funds and I can deal with it through the Canadian side?

Phil

tfo
28th Jul 2009, 14:49
Thank you Phil.
I actually ordered the book online from Aviationworld yesterday. I just got into the meteorology subject and thought I could probably use some good guidance with the JAA questions, couldn't wait around too long...:)

Thanks again,

TFO.

paco
28th Jul 2009, 17:33
OK - i think that's a recent one - they only ordered a couple of weeks ago, but if there's a problem PM me.

Flyingchris34
18th Nov 2011, 16:26
Hi Phil!

Via Lulu.com, I'm about to buy and download the Ebook/PDF version of your famous "JAR Professional Pilot Studies".

Is this PDF in colour and the same as the paper colour version?