PDA

View Full Version : A380 and Journalists

genex
26th Sep 2008, 22:14
This mornings "Age" has a video clip labelled something like "A380 makes tricky landing in difficult winds"

I had a look (I think it was MEL 34) and there's the windsock limp, pointing downwards and a perfectly normal landing, rock solid and professional.

Am I missing something or do these guys who write this stuff simply know nothing? Or can they see things these tired old eyes can't?

Capt Wally
26th Sep 2008, 22:32
oh it's pretty tricky alright 'genex' the Capt had just awoken from his inflight snooze & the F/O had been playing Space Invaders for the last hr prior to ldg, so you see the 'trick' was to pull it all off at such late notice! I watched the app the plane even looked like they where still asleep, stable & right on the numbers 'cause no one was fiddlin' with the stick!:E Maybe the journo's need some excitment in their lives, afterall going around making up stories can be strain ya know!:bored: Rwy 34 usually means a breeze but sheeez 20 kts or so??? yeah I can see that would be tricky to the 'story tellers':ugh:

CW

Discovery68
26th Sep 2008, 23:29
TV journo's aren't that much better. When the Beluga arrived last week/this week? (Can't remember, it's been a long week!). CH9 had footage of the plane landing and in the hanger, CH7 on the other hand showed a 737 windy X-wind landing and tried to pass it off as the A380 touching down in Sydney. Bloody Morons. Mind you this was the middayish news.

FoxtrotAlpha18
26th Sep 2008, 23:41
This mornings "Age" has a video clip labelled something like "A380 makes tricky landing in difficult winds"

I had a look (I think it was MEL 34) and there's the windsock limp, pointing downwards and a perfectly normal landing, rock solid and professional.

Am I missing something or do these guys who write this stuff simply know nothing? Or can they see things these tired old eyes can't?

Perhaps a bit of the latter...there seems to be a fair breeze in the tree tops on the long shot early in the clip...

con-pilot
26th Sep 2008, 23:54

Well, if they would stop building orphanages, schools and hospitals on the runways we would not have these problems of 'tricky landings'. :p

(Sorry, but my wife fell and hurt her knee rather badly and as a result we are home on a Friday night and I'm bored. :bored:)

(She's not, she is on some very nice pain pills and she insisted on her evening Martini, she'll be off to bed soon. :\)

sthaussiepilot
27th Sep 2008, 01:39
TV journo's aren't that much better. When the Beluga arrived last week/this week? (Can't remember, it's been a long week!). CH9 had footage of the plane landing and in the hanger, CH7 on the other hand showed a 737 windy X-wind landing and tried to pass it off as the A380 touching down in Sydney. Bloody Morons. Mind you this was the middayish news.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA :D:ok:

I really wish I had of seen that!!

V1OOPS
27th Sep 2008, 06:30
They may have had to take time off from the Space Invader game to work a little on a landing in front of a fairly big crowd just after noon in Adelaide today (Saturday). A fairly hot, dusty and gusty 26kt reported wind was almost directly across 05 giving 24kt crosswind for both the landing and the subsequent takeoff, according to the tower. Seemed to pull up OK, but no doubt pretty light.

[Ta!] :)

sthaussiepilot
27th Sep 2008, 07:47
Saturday:ok:

Aussie Insider
27th Sep 2008, 11:49
Today was a crash landing compared to the one in MEL!

And the belly landing by the Kingair 30mins beforehand was good entertainment value too!

ACMS
27th Sep 2008, 13:51
Capt Wally: stable & right on the numbers 'cause no one was fiddlin' with the stick!

Are you tongue in cheek saying they did an Autoland on RWY 34 in Mel?
Couldn't have, 34 does not have an ILS. So no autoland.:ok:

Keg
27th Sep 2008, 15:21
....until it is the accepted nickname.

When the Beluga arrived last week/this week...

The A380 in QF is known as the 'Dugong'.

:ok: :} :D

barry lloyd
27th Sep 2008, 19:08
Thanks for that Keg.

I was wondering what the (real) Beluga would be doing dunnunda when it's supposed to be delivering wings around Europe!