PDA

View Full Version : 8th Air force

podgysteve
26th Sep 2008, 20:35
I would like to take some American visitors to a number of "Pubs" with a historical link to the 8th air force, in particular the 2nd and 3rd Air divisions.

I would be grateful for any guidance, particularly if you are also able to give a little background info reference the relevance etc

Many thanks
Podgysteve

windriver
26th Sep 2008, 21:12
You might find it useful to visit The USAF 8th Air Force Airfields In Great Britain (http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviation/airfields/usaf/) for a list of 8th Air Force Bases

At the very foot of each page is a link inviting you to view the location in Live Local

In Live Local towards the top right hand corner there is a button labelled Collections. These contain lists and link to places of interest associated with the site. I have seen historically significant local pubs listed for other locations, but haven`t explored the 8th Air Force Sites.

JEM60
27th Sep 2008, 08:11
'The Eagle' in Cambridge is a must. 'The Flying Fortress' at the edge of Roughham Airfield, Bury St. Edmunds is another.

goudie
27th Sep 2008, 09:06
'The Hoops' in Bassingbourn village just north of Royston
The 'Memphis Belle' flew her 25 missions from Bassingbourn airfield, where 91st Bomber group were based '42-'45.

VictorGolf
27th Sep 2008, 09:23
The "Woodman Inn" is right next to Nuthampstead airfield and does good food and B and B. There's a memorial to the B-17s that flew out of the base in the pub garden. There is also a memorial to the P-51s that flew out of Steeple Morden with a couple of decent pubs in the village. And finally there is a small memorial to the P-51s that flew out of Fowlmere with the excellent Chequers pub in the village itself. As by now you are so close it would be churlish not to round the day off with a visit to Duxford with it's American Airforce museum.

denis555
27th Sep 2008, 09:23
http://lh6.ggpht.com/adam.lein/SJJhun91HDI/AAAAAAAACXY/Fyf4jLhKvQA/s320/DSCN2449.JPG

Names and graffitti of USAAF and RAF airmen still extant at The Eagle Cambridge - a great pub full of atmosphere.:ok:

sooms
27th Sep 2008, 09:40
The American Cemetery at Madingley- remember the ones who never went home.