F14
26th Sep 2008, 17:21
Fantastic day for Yves. Well done!!!!! A modern day hero:D

Ivan aromer
26th Sep 2008, 17:48
What a top man! Well done.

kansasw
26th Sep 2008, 17:49
Thank you Yves for a really informative post.

Sir George Cayley
26th Sep 2008, 19:59
Tis no big deal:)

Accomplished Swiss Rocket Man and ex Mirage pillot who has developed a viable back pack wing complete with small jets has repeated his stunt of dropping from an aircraft, extending the wings, lighting the fires and flying for 20 mins like a byrd.

Only this time he took off from France, saw the English Channel for a few minutes and then parachuted on to English soil near Dover when the wick went out.

"Have you anything to declare?" asked a humourless UK Douanier.

"Yes" replied Yves "I'm the first to do this"

"Very good sir" answers our guardian, snapping on a latex glove "I'll just have to check you are not smuggling any contraband"!!

Welcome to Britain Yves, can I borrow your wings - I'd like to leave:ugh:

Sir George Cayley

Will Hung
26th Sep 2008, 21:36
What an indignity, being moved to jetblast.

Shame on you !

G-CPTN
26th Sep 2008, 21:41
Meanwhile we have a thread about setting altimeters. Shouldn't that be where the pilot-chappies could see it?

tony draper
26th Sep 2008, 21:45
I think they have small sub program on the server,any post with the word France in it is automatically sent to Jet Blast.:rolleyes:

pzu
26th Sep 2008, 23:31
OK what's the procedure to nominate Yves Rossi for a suitable 'gong';

Certainly as worthy as other recent appointees!!!

PZU - Out of Africa (retired)

weido_salt
28th Sep 2008, 16:40
Yes I second that. Well deserved gong it would be too.

Anyone know where I can pick up a set of those wings? That game has gone to the top of my "must do soon" list.

Just being watching Yves on National geographic Channel. What a boy!

Loose rivets
28th Sep 2008, 16:56
I'll be impressed when he takes off from the ground. I mean, being pre-endowed with megga-joules of energy before setting off is a bit of an unfair advantage.

Roller skates. That'd do it. Mind you, he'd have to practice engine out procedures, having no rudder would be a tad embarrassing. Two out on one side. Mmmm, could end up with....ewww, rather not think about that.

Yes, I'm really really jealous...and wished I could have done it. :(

G-CPTN
28th Sep 2008, 17:47
A French amateur pilot's attempt to be the first to cross the channel on a pedal-propelled airship has failed.
But he was hampered by a change in the wind direction and called off the trip 11 miles from Wissant in France.
Mr Rousson said: "I'm not disappointed. I feel happy because it had nothing to do with any technical failure." He had been waiting for more than a week for winds of less than 5mph before he could set off.
Speaking from France, Rousson said: "We were about three-quarters of the way across but the wind was flowing in the wrong direction for me to make it across.
Mr Rousson also failed to make the 34-mile (55km) journey in airship Zeppy in June, despite waiting two weeks for the ideal weather conditions.

BBC NEWS | England | Kent | Airship's Channel crossing fails (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7640310.stm)