PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a Chip Bag?

P P B
26th Sep 2008, 13:25
Can anybody suggest a good place to get a chip bag/side cap/ forage cap from? I have had Snaith's suggested to me but their chip hats look cheap and nasty. I was going to get one from the tailors at St Mawgan but, alas, they no longer exist. I have also heard there may be a good tailor at Wittering. Is this true? If so does anybody have contact details?

philrigger
26th Sep 2008, 14:10
Where to get a Chip Bag?

Chip shop.

OK. I'm going.

Bo Nalls
26th Sep 2008, 14:17
No 1 Savile Row, London?

NutLoose
26th Sep 2008, 14:22
RAF Clothing (http://www.rafclothing.com/) God know what they are like.

Herbert Johnson military hats and uniform hats and headwear (http://www.herbert-johnson.co.uk/index.html)

Champagne Anyone?
26th Sep 2008, 15:21
Ebay?? :E:E:E

But its got a funny badge on it...... :E:E:E:E

Background Noise
26th Sep 2008, 16:48
Clothing stores - WO pattern is same as officer pattern.

Grimweasel
26th Sep 2008, 18:25
Snaiths (spelling?) at Cranwell sell them. Red lining too!

Wensleydale
26th Sep 2008, 18:32
I used an airmans' pattern hat weedled out of stores with an "officers' badge" made out of an airman aircrew rank badge eagle and a Flt Sgt's crown. It's a bit tatty and oil stained now, but no-one has noticed for over 25 years. It also worked out a bit cheaper than your standard military tailor.

W

endplay
26th Sep 2008, 18:41
So Wendslydale, you wheedled (stole) a hat from stores and were then improperly dressed for 25 years.

I blame the parents...

Union Jack
26th Sep 2008, 18:42
Herbert Johnson military hats and uniform hats and headwear (http://www.herbert-johnson.co.uk/index.html)

Crikey-o-Mikey! With these prices, no wonder someone pinched MoFo999's Kiwi hat at Leuchars ..... not cheap, but still nasty!

Jack

C4IONMYPC
26th Sep 2008, 19:13
try this link and see if it helps

RAF FORAGE CAP (http://www.silvermans.co.uk/ProductDetails/tabid/89/Department/Military/Category/HEAD+++NECKWEAR/Description/RAF+FORAGE+CAP/ItemId/5852/Default.aspx)

DownloadDog
26th Sep 2008, 19:50
I have a chip hat going for sale, I left the Mob last year and it's just lying in my spare room. It's in good nick, has a red satin lining and felt band inside to make it comfortable. My head circumference is 57cm....

scarecrow450
26th Sep 2008, 19:51
What borrowed from Leuchars O' Mess ??:mad:

DownloadDog
26th Sep 2008, 19:54
Nope, some chimp nicked my original one (from St Mawgan tailor with a luminous pink lining) while I was at Cranditz doing the JAWS course so I had to purchase another.....

Rigga
26th Sep 2008, 19:55
I bought a super-duper "groundcrew" one in 1977 for a mere £25 - did me well for a further 22 years. (and got mounted alongside my gongs) All it ever need was a periodic de-coke.
Cost is relative to your career aspirations.

CommonSenseApproach
27th Sep 2008, 00:51
Chip Bag Help Request [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-168675.html)

I believe they are now 43 Euro from Akrotiri and made from a higher quality than usually available in UK. Shop now next to Peninsula Club as it is called once again.

bakseetblatherer
27th Sep 2008, 02:15
I got my really tatty looking (auto bollockingly bad) chip hat from the tailors at Lyneham, many moons ago. It is made from recycled trousers from what I remember, dunno if they still do it there...well cheap and fit in the grow bag pockets nicely as it was about half the size (height) of a proper one :)

Arty Fufkin
27th Sep 2008, 10:06
You think you've got it bad. I've got a pair of trousers made from recycled hats.

NutLoose
27th Sep 2008, 13:12
bakseetblathererI got my really tatty looking (auto bollockingly bad) chip hat from the tailors at Lyneham, many moons ago. It is made from recycled trousers from what I remember, dunno if they still do it there...well cheap and fit in the grow bag pockets nicely as it was about half the size (height) of a proper one http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

And no doubt in hot weather you could unzip the fly along the top to let in some sunshine........:yuk:

The term "you look an arse in that hat" may have been closer to the mark than you think :p

bakseetblatherer
27th Sep 2008, 23:16
LOL, I always tried not to think about what exact part of the trousers it came from.....

And yes, people often said I look an arse but seemed to miss out 'in that hat'; I wonder why?

cynicalint
28th Sep 2008, 00:14
Arty Fufkin, thank you! Made oi laff....

c130 alm
28th Sep 2008, 01:57
If you take in an old set of Number ones to the shop in Akrotiri then they will make you a hat up.

30AB-JK
28th Sep 2008, 21:56
Mine said A W Lamb Kowloon!!!

Dave Roome
30th Sep 2008, 15:11
What size yo want? I got velly good chip bag, 7 3/8, no longer needed, vgc

BEagle
30th Sep 2008, 16:12
Velly cheap, velly clean - like my seester!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

Is it no longer needed (the tw*t hat, that is) because you've now graduated to one with Cortina blue seat piping - or have you retired, you old blue-noter?

noregrets
30th Sep 2008, 16:19
Hardcore brown-noser that I was (am?), I was the first to congratulate my newly-promoted gp capt at HQSTC and ask him if he still needed his chippy. Got it for a snip! :ok:

BEagle
30th Sep 2008, 16:27
Eyeing up my shabby old aircrew SD hat, one oily little $hit who'd recently made Gp Capt said in a loud voice "I've got a nice hat going cheap!"

"No thanks, sir", quoth I, "I'm sure it'd be too large for me!"

SPIT
30th Sep 2008, 17:23
Ask most any of the ATC (VRT -Res) Officers they seem to have them at their camps or at Air Displays :ok::ok:

P P B
1st Oct 2008, 09:25
Dave Roome I'm after a 57 which I think is 7 1/8 so yours is a bit big. Cheers though.
Does nobody now of a satin tailor on the mainland that still does these?

Wader2
1st Oct 2008, 14:32
Velly cheap, velly clean - like my seester!
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

Is it no longer needed (the tw*t hat, that is) because you've now graduated to one with Cortina blue seat piping - or have you retired, you old blue-noter?

He now flies for fun and gets paid by Serco, fine chaps that they are.

Hugh Been'ad
13th Jun 2012, 20:46
Tis a few years since this last was asked, but now I am in the market for a forage cap too after mine was taken by someone else as a saving.

I would be grateful for any pointers that are worth a look. Budget won't quite stretch to Gieves's fine offer of £240, although I'm sure it would look great.

Have Snaith's products improved?

Courtney Mil
13th Jun 2012, 21:00
It's just a hat. Find one, buy it. God! I didn't make this much fuss over buying my sword.

NutLoose
13th Jun 2012, 21:07
Plenty on evil bay

RAf side cap | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=RAf+side+cap)

There evan a Group Captains one if you want to get a bit of one upmanship

Royal Air Force, RAF, Side Cap, Group Captain, Army | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Air-Force-RAF-Side-Cap-Group-Captain-Army-/220789616373?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3368162ef5#ht_641wt_689)

Or

WW2 Royal Air Force Officer (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-Royal-Air-Force-Officer-s-Side-Hat-Ref-EFN-/140769610746?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item20c685cbfa#ht_6078wt_914)

Whenurhappy
14th Jun 2012, 06:49
Erm, did anyone leave their Cap, Field Service in a draw at PSAB in 2001? If it was you, you are a complete cheapskate 'cos it's an Airmen's one that has had an officer' badge affixed to it. Even the French Spies (sorry, 'Coalition partners') didn't want it duirng their evening rifling of the office draws...

If you can describe the hat and size, I'll gladly send it back.

Hat related stories. I have a Snaiths Hat, SD that I bought on promotion to Sqn Ldr. It was thoroughly disreputable and ended up in the kids dressing up box (sorry, 'interpretative and role playing repository') until I needed it in a hurry - last week. I cycled into the office with the intention of pre-positioning it for future emergency uses, but due to my increasingly short attention span (our complex is also 'hats free') I left the hat on the carrier. The usual mid-afternoon thunderstorm came and went and I left for home, finding a very, very soggy hat. I've dried it on the towel radiator and it's like new, well, almost. And it fits, provided I am a midget.

I was talking to a friend of mine (I'm sure he won't mind me re-broadcasting this story) and he was visiting Ramstein for a 'supermarket sweep' and momentarily left his beret - yes beret - on the shopping trundler and return to find it missing. He was bereft - he'd had it since IOT and the cap-badge was a Kiwi FS cap one (ie miniature SD badge) which I had given him. He looked everywhere for it, but alas to no avail. The local Supply guys rustled one up from stores - think 'early Saddam Hussein' look. As it happens, he returned to Ramstein a week or two later and went to customer services in the BX - and even before he'd finished describing it, a women in a HAZMAT suit delivered his (double-bagged) beret using remote tongs (perhaps he exagerated about the HAZMAT suit). This beret clearly has a charmed life. I was with him when he left it in a Taxi in Kabul a few years ago, on our way to Chicken St Market. Again, a week or two later, a taxi driver pulled up alongside us and whilst we fumbled with our weapons as a 'show of force' as we clearly thought we were about to be kidnapped and forced to wear orange, the taxi-driver obligingly passed his beret back. There are now factories in the Khyber Pass and China producing authentically pres-shrunk, stained, verdigris-covered badged and smelly berets for Terry Taliban to wear.

Tankertrashnav
14th Jun 2012, 21:47
Notice that the chip-bag has been referred to as a 'forage cap' a few times on this thread. This always used to confuse the pongoes, for whom a forage cap is a peaked cap (rather like our SD cap) - usually the posh one worn with No 1 rather than the khaki one worn with service dress. Wonder how what the pongoes call a side-cap or field service hat became known as the forage cap in the RAF :confused:

I bought an Au Wei Lam SD cap at Kai Tak, 30AB-JK. One morning my sergeant greeted me with a cough and a polite "did you realise you were incorrectly dressed, sir?" Removing my hat I found that some bugger ( I suspect a Hunter jock from 20 squadron) had neatly removed the badge from my cap with a sharp blade and replaced the now badgeless cap on its peg. Rotten sod!

Btw I have just flogged a beautiful fired gilt WW2 pattern officer's side cap badge on eBay for a tenner - knocked spots off the cheap stabrite badges you get nowadays.

NutLoose
14th Jun 2012, 21:52
I got my really tatty looking (auto bollockingly bad) chip hat from the tailors at Lyneham, many moons ago. It is made from recycled trousers from what I remember, dunno if they still do it there...well cheap and fit in the grow bag pockets nicely as it was about half the size (height) of a proper one

And I bet he told you the zip running along the top of it was for summer use :E