PDA

View Full Version : RTL - hpoipm07.exe??????

Sensible
2nd Jul 2001, 14:10
Having spent an interesting Sunday removing the Magistr.A virus from my computer together with various other files left over from a previous infection of the MTX virus, I am left with a box which appears on my screen shortly after the desktop loads. The box has "RTL" at the top left hand corner and the message "Unable to start driver for hpoipm07.exe (hpoipm07.exe) "
with an "ok" button beneath.

I am unable to work out what the RTL programme is and cannot find the hpoipm07.exe file on Win 98 or my hard drive.

I don't know if a remnant of the viruses is calling for it's lost relative or whether I have accidentally deleted an important file but either way, I'd like to get rid of the box which keeps flashing onto the screen. Incidentally, when the box isn't on the screen, there is a little box at the bottom of the screen with "RTL" written on it and clicking the box causes the above message to appear centre screen again. Right clicking on the box fails to bring up a "properties" menu so I don't even know where the message originates from. Any clues would be much appreciated.

Incidentally, I am now running McAfee but was previously running Command.com anti virus software. Why Command.com failed to spot the Magistr.A virus I am at a loss to know.

Icarus
2nd Jul 2001, 21:29
RTL is a freeware keyboard utility that allows fairly sophisticated character entry in most Windows 9x/NT applications.

The driver is a HP printer driver.

Do you use a HP printer?

If so try re-installing it (you may need to remove it first via Start/Settings/Printers and delete the HP printer).

Sensible
3rd Jul 2001, 00:20
Many thanks Icarus, yes, I do use an HP printer and yes, reinstalling the drivers cured the problem. Everything works fine now - until the next virus!!

Thanks again.

Regards, S